4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

i give it gas and it shuts off??? im stumped

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 03:49 PM

i give it gas and it shuts off??? im stumped

my 96 auto will not stay running and it is draining my battery but i tested the alternator and it is good and when i jump it off it runs like **** and soon as a give it gas it bogs down and shuts off i scanned it a few days before this started happening and no codes but i cant take it any where to have it scanned again. before this it would idle rough at lights but no other problems i need help i have no clue what could cause this
Old 09-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

check ur idle control valve or mass air flow sensor
Old 09-04-2011, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by missiline
check ur idle control valve or mass air flow sensor
IACV has nothing to do with the running EXCEPT at idle
Old 09-04-2011, 07:27 AM

well i cleaned my iacv last night today i will clean my maf and hope thats my problem
Old 09-04-2011, 03:14 PM

I am going to bet that you have a loose or damaged vacuum hose causing this.. Let us know what happens after cleaning the MAF. What was the last job you did on your car?
Old 09-04-2011, 05:06 PM

the last thing i have done was my front vc gasket but before that i did my coil packs and just before i did the vc gasket i cleaned the whole motor with purple power but it was idling rough at stops before i did the vc or coil packs just cleaned the maf waiting on my battery to charge so i can test it out
Old 09-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Rit

Possible solution

I had a Mazda MX-6 that did the same thing. There was a hairline crack in the accordian-type hose that went from the MAF Sensor to the intake manifold. When you accelerate, the engine rocks and the crack opens up letting in false air which the MAF Sensor doesn't know about and the engine runs lean and then stalls. It was hard to find, but when I did - Bingo - I was golden !
Old 09-04-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by joseph.mcgowen
the last thing i have done was my front vc gasket but before that i did my coil packs and just before i did the vc gasket i cleaned the whole motor with purple power but it was idling rough at stops before i did the vc or coil packs just cleaned the maf waiting on my battery to charge so i can test it out
Ok there are two vacuum hoses attached to the cover. Are those hoses brittle and cracked up? Why did you use purple power on your engine> you know it has acid in it right?
Old 09-04-2011, 09:52 PM

@rit i will check that because mine is in rough shape

@trini i used purple power cuz my motor was covered in oil the previous owner did not maintain this car and that was the only think on hand to clean the motor i didnt know it could do any damage and i rinsed it off with water immediately after and i will check to see if there is anything wrong with those lines but like i said this was happening before i did my valve cover gasket and before i cleaned my motor
this whole thing started with a rough idle then i started it one mornin then it ran sh*t i put it in reverse an gave a lil gas and it died i cranked it back up and it ran to were i work(10 mi) i got off work went to start it and my battery was dead so i got jumped off and it ran home the next mornin it started ran like sh*t almost like a multiple miss but it made it to the store(4.3 mi) i came out and my battery was dead again i got jumped off again i unhooked the cables put em in my trunk went to my door and my car had shut off so i got jumped off again and it ran fine home the next mornin i had to be jumped again but by the time i got out of my car to unhook the cables the car shut off and this happened like multiple times before i gave up and i did the vc gasket since i had it parked when i had it runnin at the store the day before i unhooked the positive terminal and it kept runnin so i dont think its the alternator my bad for the short story thats just the best way i can explain what and how it happened
Old 09-06-2011, 06:05 AM

Is it bad that I just saw the title of the thread and knew it was most likely the MAF sensor? ...didn't even have to open it up.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

i got off work went to start it and my battery was dead so i got jumped off and it ran home the next mornin it started ran like sh*t almost like a multiple miss but it made it to the store(4.3 mi) i came out and my battery was dead again i got jumped off again i unhooked the cables put em in my trunk went to my door and my car had shut off so i got jumped off again and it ran fine home the next mornin i had to be jumped again but by the time i got out of my car to unhook the cables the car shut off and this happened like multiple times before i gave up and i did the vc gasket since i had it parked when i had it runnin at the store the day before i unhooked the positive terminal and it kept runnin so i dont think its the alternator my bad for the short story thats just the best way i can explain what and how it happened
Obviously the battery is toast and if it's internally shorted, it can be bringing your entire electrical down. That in itself could cause what's happening.

Put a battery in it and troubleshoot from there.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 AM

@ctsnyper not the maf its only like 3 weeks old and i just cleaned it
@njmax i will get a new battery and see if thats part of my problem but i beleive rit was right on this one i found i couple cracks in the hose from the maf to the tb and when i patched the ones i could it started up and idled but when i gave it gas it bogged out so im gonna get that hose and see from there
Old 09-06-2011, 01:04 PM

well problem solved it was the acordian shaped hose that goes from the maf to the tb like rit said does anyone know what that hose is called?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:52 PM

well problem solved it was the acordian shaped hose that goes from the maf to the tb like rit said does anyone know what that hose is called?

Like I stated a vacuum leak. That is the "air duct hose". I am pretty sire it was brittle at the bottom part connecting to the TB right? Its a dealer only item and cost $40. Had to replace mine so I know.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:36 AM

thanx trini and yes it was the side that connected to the tb but i still got a rough idle in gear but if i put it in park or neutral it smoothes out
Old 09-08-2011, 10:49 PM

@rit i will check that because mine is in rough shape

@trini i used purple power cuz my motor was covered in oil the previous owner did not maintain this car and that was the only think on hand to clean the motor

I didn't know this about purple power, but i always stick with simple green. I hadn't cleaned my motor, nor did the 2 previous owners, so it had 231l miles of grime everywhere. Now the motor looks cleaner after using simple green and a water hose w/o pressurizer.