4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

First Full OBX System On A/J Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:57 PM

First Full OBX System On A/J Chassis

Had a mandrel 3" catback made today. System consists of:

3" OBX Resonated Test Pipe
(2) 3" OBX resonators (approx 30" total)
3" OBX muffler
OBX 3.5 V2

Sounds too loud for my taste. Its not the loudest in the world but its just not my steez. More of a track setup. Have had a few homies hear it and they actually like it. I have mixed feelings on it. Had my boy do a flyby and it didnt sound too bad. Vids to come soon as a new mem card comes in the mail.

As for power, it feels more torquey. Almost feel some mid-top end loss but unsure since I was only doing 1-2 pulls. Will find out when I hit freeway tomorrow.

For now heres some pics:

Cattman 2.5 pre-removal:

Old 08-09-2011, 12:00 AM

Components for install

Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 AM

B pipe tacked

Old 08-09-2011, 12:03 AM

Installed

Old 08-09-2011, 12:07 AM

Its the test pipe doing the damage. Does obx make a 3 inch cat? Or were you specifically looking for no restrictions? Either way nice job. Are those ALL of the components? I would think u needed one more of those bends to complete getting over the beam.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:23 AM

Yeah i know but i like the gain from it. So im stuck on either keeping the test pipe and selling the catback for a 3" cattman or reverting back to oem cat and this catback...not really trying to spend anymore $ either.

And good eye....required one more u bend. It was delivered during the install

And not sure if they make a 3" cat. Will look it up now.

Yeah they do. About $115 shipped.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 08-10-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:41 AM

Regardless of what you have heard switching in a cat for the resonated test pipe won't do anything sound wise and I'm speaking from experience.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:29 AM

I disagree, and im speaking from experience as well lol
Old 08-09-2011, 05:06 AM

resonator, period will quiet down the car...get a longer resonator.

OAN looks pretty damn good
Old 08-09-2011, 07:15 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
Yeah i know but i like the gain from it. So im stuck on either keeping the test pipe and selling the catback for a 3" cattman or reverting back to oem cat and this catback...not really trying to spend anymore $ either.
Just curious, why did you go with a resonated test pipe vs just straight 3" pipe? Noise reduction?
I wouldnt do the oem cat with a 3" setup.

Originally Posted by phatboislim
resonator, period will quiet down the car...get a longer resonator.
OAN looks pretty damn good
Hes already running two that equal 30", you think he should get one longer then that?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:19 AM

READING > ME....i wonder if its quieter w/ one resonator that equals that length or two seperate....

but either way you look at it...3" is loud period..now that i'm reading this thread, i guess ill stay w/ my 2.5" i might just buy a ebay catback and use their mandrel piping to ditch the ****ty piping i have right now.

the cat is not going to change your tone that much
Old 08-09-2011, 07:20 AM

Thought VQ'rin already stated he had 2 3" resonators???

And its still too loud?? Track loud?? Its the muffler then man. The dynomax super turbo street version has great flow but stock quiet. On your 3" setup u prolly get a lil noise.

THe only thing i didnt like about the dynomax is that its tailpipe was puny. I had my installer weld on a muffler tip to enhance appearance.

Either way man, nice 3" setup.

In for review and sound clips

EDIT:

Phat brings up a good point. Wit that 3" piping u gonna have all types of reverberations and grumbling through the pipe. THat dynomax i suggested will quiet things down but still prolly sound dope.

Last edited by cashoit; 08-09-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:26 AM

Im running a cat delete with a 2.5inch mandrel bent exhaust. My resonator is a 27in Cherry Bomb and my muffler is from my old ebay exhaust. The straight pipe replacing the cat didnt add much rasp, the resonator gives the best sound in the world I think. It sounds super deep and almost Z like. Im guessing his resonators arent the problem, maybe its the fact that its a 3in exhaust?

Edit: Sound clip for those wondering. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EgyfrCqc84
Old 08-09-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
Im running a cat delete with a 2.5inch mandrel bent exhaust. My resonator is a 27in Cherry Bomb and my muffler is from my old ebay exhaust. The straight pipe replacing the cat didnt add much rasp, the resonator gives the best sound in the world I think. It sounds super deep and almost Z like. Im guessing his resonators arent the problem, maybe its the fact that its a 3in exhaust?

Edit: Sound clip for those wondering. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EgyfrCqc84
i just ditched my cherry bomb because it was basically trash after a year and some change. i replaced it with a magnaflow resonator. even though i have a hole in my ypipe flex pipe because of scraping it, i can still hear a difference, it sounds better than having that cherry bomb...but that cherry bomb brand new, sounds godly
Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Banned

GetA3''TwinLoopAndItWillSoundExotic......I'mSpeakingFromExperience.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:50 AM

i just ditched my cherry bomb because it was basically trash after a year and some change. i replaced it with a magnaflow resonator. even though i have a hole in my ypipe flex pipe because of scraping it, i can still hear a difference, it sounds better than having that cherry bomb...but that cherry bomb brand new, sounds godly
For 25 bucks, you cant beat a cherry bomb hah. I was on the boarder between a magnaflow resonator and the cherry bomb, went with the cheaper option since I'm saving for college. I hadnt planned on redoing my exhaust, but once we got under my car, my current resonator was f*cked up... it was cracked and the inside warped toe sh*t
Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Boosted Panda

READING > ME....i wonder if its quieter w/ one resonator that equals that length or two seperate....

but either way you look at it...3" is loud period..now that i'm reading this thread, i guess ill stay w/ my 2.5" i might just buy a ebay catback and use their mandrel piping to ditch the ****ty piping i have right now.

the cat is not going to change your tone that much
A 3" setup is louder then a 2.5, people just need to realize that and accept it if thats the route they are looking to go.

Originally Posted by cashoit
Thought VQ'rin already stated he had 2 3" resonators???

And its still too loud?? Track loud?? Its the muffler then man. The dynomax super turbo street version has great flow but stock quiet. On your 3" setup u prolly get a lil noise.

THe only thing i didnt like about the dynomax is that its tailpipe was puny. I had my installer weld on a muffler tip to enhance appearance.

Either way man, nice 3" setup.

In for review and sound clips

EDIT:

Phat brings up a good point. Wit that 3" piping u gonna have all types of reverberations and grumbling through the pipe. THat dynomax i suggested will quiet things down but still prolly sound dope.
It has ok flow, but does sound pretty good, was still a bit louder then my 2.5 setup. Although mine didnt come with a tip. This is my 3" setup when i was running the Dynomax Super Turbo....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toXFe4CwsUM
Old 08-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
A 3" setup is louder then a 2.5, people just need to realize that and accept it if thats the route they are looking to go.

It has ok flow, but does sound pretty good, was still a bit louder then my 2.5 setup. Although mine didnt come with a tip. This is my 3" setup when i was running the Dynomax Super Turbo....
sounds identical to my crush bent, un-resonated, thrush turbo muffler, 2.5 catback
Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 AM

I'm @ Work (no audio), and I don't think flava's exhaust sounds like yours....

3" Loud? hrmmm I may need my ears re-adjusted, before the exhaust leak occured, the car sounded like it just had a muffler on it, I mean hell you can see my track vids on youtube, you can barely hear my car over all of the others.....
Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 AM

Cant view the clip.

i bet the bass in the exhaust was nice. Cuz on my car on the super turbo with stock piping was stock quiet.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
Regardless of what you have heard switching in a cat for the resonated test pipe won't do anything sound wise and I'm speaking from experience.
The cat quiets the exhaust down quite a bit. Removes rasp. Have tried numberous setups on many cars including a mkii VR6T.

Just curious, why did you go with a resonated test pipe vs just straight 3" pipe? Noise reduction?
I wouldnt do the oem cat with a 3" setup.

Hes already running two that equal 30", you think he should get one longer then that?
Noise and rasp reduction over a straight/test pipe. Not a fan of rasp whatsoever especially after coming from the two best exhausts period (Greddy SP, Cattman)

Originally Posted by Clashez
:metalmax:

I was trying to imitate the SP2's routing with the placement of resonators and use of a canister muffler. Knew it would be louder but not with rasp. One of our guys is running a full cattman system with a test pipe and it sounds lovely which is what i was basing my attempts on...

What does your whole exhaust consist of?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 08-10-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Banned

:metalmax:
I have a 3id cat- back with the obx twin loop and it's quit.... no resonater
Old 08-09-2011, 09:13 AM

JUST STFU

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
For 25 bucks, you cant beat a cherry bomb hah. I was on the boarder between a magnaflow resonator and the cherry bomb, went with the cheaper option since I'm saving for college. I hadnt planned on redoing my exhaust, but once we got under my car, my current resonator was f*cked up... it was cracked and the inside warped toe sh*t
yea for the money...cherry bomb is the shiet...but i heard, way before i scraped my flex pipe, that it was getting raspy, hence why i got the magnaflow

agreed...reading this thread, unless i get a cattman 3" i'm not messing w/ it again..ill be happy w/ my cutout
Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun

3" Loud? hrmmm I may need my ears re-adjusted, before the exhaust leak occured, the car sounded like it just had a muffler on it, I mean hell you can see my track vids on youtube, you can barely hear my car over all of the others.....
Yeah 3" cattman sound sexy as ****. Pretty quiet for a 3". I see myself getting one. Ill trade you for yours
Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 AM

Yeah 3" cattman sound sexy as ****. Pretty quiet for a 3". I see myself getting one. Ill trade you for yours
pick me up and ill help you steal it
Old 08-09-2011, 09:22 AM

pick me up and ill help you steal it
Cet hommes ici......
Old 08-09-2011, 09:22 AM

I have a 3id cat- back with the obx twin loop and it's quit.... no resonater
ok ill bite only because its OBX and i wanna run all OBX....got a sound clip?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:24 AM

You now need to make videos like the ones on my youtube so we can compare sound
Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Banned

JUST STFU
agreed...reading this thread, unless i get a cattman 3" i'm not messing w/ it again..ill be happy w/ my cutout
It's just like a guy with purple wheels to put a noise maker on his car...

ok ill bite only because its OBX and i wanna run all OBX....got a sound clip?
I'll make one in a bit i'm eat now try one one with the cell phone don't have a recorder

Last edited by NmexMAX; 08-09-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Banned

i like the sound of the custom 3" full obx system Doughboy/VQrInWLA had made. i thought it was gonna be screaming/pissy loud the way he described it but its not
Old 08-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Boosted Panda

I dont mean that its annoyingly loud, but it is a bit louder then any of my previous 2.5 setups. Honestly, before doing the 3" setup many told me the car would be so loud it wouldnt be worth it. I didnt find that to be the case.

Noise and rasp reduction over a straight/test pipe. Not a fan of rasp whatsoever especially after coming from the two best exhausts period (Greddy SP, Cattman)
Ah, I figured that was the intention. Im not a fan of it either, but in order to get the most free flowing setup possible I dont think it can be completely avoided.

I was trying to imitate the SP2's routing with the placement of resonators and use of a canister muffler. Knew it would be louder but not with rasp. One of our guys is running a full cattman system with a test pipe and it sounds lovely which is what i was basing my attempts on...

What does your whole exhaust consist of?
Yeah I saw that with the placement of the resonators, thats how my old Greddy Sp was.
Im wondering if its the muffler.
My setup is the Cattman headers with the collector ovaled to straight mandrel bent 3" piping with a 30" resonator to a Dynomax VT muffler, in the vid I had the Super Turbo still.... which is FS

JUST STFU
yea for the money...cherry bomb is the shiet...but i heard, way before i scraped my flex pipe, that it was getting raspy, hence why i got the magnaflow

Cutout is LOUD, LOL.. but its closeable so best of both worlds I guess.
The cutout was just too loud for me. When open it would make my ears hurt.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:00 AM

I dont mean that its annoyingly loud, but it is a bit louder then any of my previous 2.5 setups. Honestly, before doing the 3" setup many told me the car would be so loud it wouldnt be worth it. I didnt find that to be the case.

Ditto.. We'll going from exhaust leak to 3", I was told that it's going to be just as loud... Non sense!

Simple fix, deployable earmuffs when the cutout switch is engaged

Of course they'd have to be wrapped in CF
Old 08-09-2011, 11:12 AM

i havent run my car w/ the cutout open yet...i'm curious as to how much ruckus i'll cause i'm just waiting to go to the track to mess w/ it, then ill hear it all the way to the track and back
Old 08-09-2011, 11:49 AM

Pulled a 5-3 on the freeway. Definitely more torquey. 60 to 90 was pretty quick and thats with a bad 3rd gear synchro. Ive come to the conclusion that the volume isnt too bad. Its the rasp that kills me. Im just so used to a smooth refined tone. As my boy J2FRESH said its not bad but to me that level of rasp is unacceptable. High standards. May go with the twin loop if quieter or cattman 3.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:51 AM

Pulled a 5-3 on the freeway. Definitely more torquey. 60 to 90 was pretty quick and thats with a bad 3rd gear synchro. Ive come to the conclusion that the volume isnt too bad. Its the rasp that kills me. Im just so used to a smooth refined tone. As my boy J2FRESH said its not bad but to me that level of rasp is unacceptable. High standards. May go with the twin loop if quieter or cattman 3.
Oh lord....
Old 08-09-2011, 11:53 AM

Pulled a 5-3 on the freeway. Definitely more torquey. 60 to 90 was pretty quick and thats with a bad 3rd gear synchro.
Thats cool man. Exhaust flowing free up top.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Nice work VQ! IMHO, I still feel you wasted $$ and energy with that test pipe. It serves no purpose really. Care to explain your thought process in why a test pipe was so crucial to your plan vs. having a cat in place?

How are you going to pass emissions now? You either have to know a "friendly" smog shop , or go back to your shop to drop the whole system so you can reinstall your old setup that will accept a cat. At the very minimum, I don't understand why you didn't flange your test pipe/Bpipe connection so a cat could be swapped in easily come smog time.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Oh lord....
go on ebay and find the catback systems obx has...they have some better looking ones than that POS twin loop, designed for hondas on there
Old 08-09-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Nice work VQ! IMHO, I still feel you wasted $$ and energy with that test pipe. It serves no purpose really. Care to explain your thought process in why a test pipe was so crucial to your plan vs. having a cat in place?

How are you going to pass emissions now? You either have to know a "friendly" smog shop , or go back to your shop to drop the whole system so you can reinstall your old setup that will accept a cat. At the very minimum, I don't understand why you didn't flange your test pipe/Bpipe connection so a cat could be swapped in easily come smog time.

Wiz brings up a good point about emissions. Hope u in a friendly state. Mass would never pass the exhaust.

Emission testing..the enemy of all aftermarket exhaust systems
Old 08-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Wiz brings up a good point about emissions. Hope u in a friendly state. Mass would never pass the exhaust.
CA is not an emission friendly state by a long shot. It's really tough here.

Emission testing..the enemy of all aftermarket exhaust systems
So true...

Quick Reply: First Full OBX System On A/J Chassis