4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

TPS ohms confusion rpm up down rhythm

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:36 AM

TPS ohms confusion rpm up down rhythm

I hope the org can help me with this one. I've searched for days for a solution and only found answers to similar problem but of course not my problem. I have like everyone else cleaned my IACV, TB, EGR tube and IM while putting car back together after replacing the head gaskets. Here it goes...

I start the car and it idols fine 700 rpm, give it gas I hear 1 second hiss then engine revs up and up til the 2k rpm. Then it goes up and down up and down up and down from 2k to 2500 repeatedly. until I release the throttle. Even if I try to maintain it a one at 2k or almost to 2k it starts the rhythm. When I test drive it, it will go 1st gear then rpms hit 2k and loses power like it has too much gas dropping rpms to 1k or so but never shuts off and it will very slowly and I mean slowly increase in speed. No check engine light is on and btw check engine light works fine.

So I read a bit about adjusting tps continuity by rotating it. Right now my tps is (if sitting in drivers seat) all the way to the left as far as it can go. If I rotate it to any point the opposite direction it will do the rhythm while at idol but rev up past 2k just fine and hold at 2k if I wanted it to.

I have 5 volts in pin 1. Problem I'm having is when checking the continuity I have my multimeter set to 20k ohms then touch pins 2 and 3 I'll have .32 reading. When wot I have .32 reading why? I checked 5 and 6 pins like the updated tps test says and I have same readings as pins 2 and 3. Used feeler gauges and I still don't understand the purpose or maybe I don't understand the outcome but using them is like not using them there's no difference still .32.

What I'm missing? What could be wrong? Other than that it runs great! I think, not sure as I have not had a chance to take it on the freeway or do a drive cycle yet. Please help!