4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tips & Tricks to a Successful Spark Plug Change

Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 AM

I struggled with the rear plugs last time I changed these out. The rubber grommet in the spark plug socket has such a good grip on the plug, that the socket kept coming off of the extension and I could not get the socket out of the cylinder. Or, the ball mechanism on the extension was weak and perhaps did not keep a good enough grip on the socket. Took forever but I ended up having to use an extremely thin pair of needle nose plyers to get it out.

Any suggestions or good tricks on how to get the socekt out after the new plug is installed and torqued?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by domano 68
I struggled with the rear plugs last time I changed these out. The rubber grommet in the spark plug socket has such a good grip on the plug, that the socket kept coming off of the extension and I could not get the socket out of the cylinder. Or, the ball mechanism on the extension was weak and perhaps did not keep a good enough grip on the socket. Took forever but I ended up having to use an extremely thin pair of needle nose plyers to get it out.

Any suggestions or good tricks on how to get the socekt out after the new plug is installed and torqued?
try a different extension? It should come right out
Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 AM

Nice write up. How often should platinum plugs be replaced? I used to changing regular plugs every other year.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:53 AM

Couple of thoughts:
- Autozone has a new spark plug socket with a magnetic insert instead of rubber or foam - doesnt hold as tight so less likely to jam up. Well worth the five or six dollars; works like a charm.
- When I have worries about a socket coming off, I put a couple of turns of electrical tape over the extension and socket where they join.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jas1203
Only input I can give is for the first: I believe P1445 is pointing to the valve that you needed to remove to access one of the plugs. I'm sure someone else will have more input here, but first thing I would check is the obvious--did you plug it back in? Are all hoses connected?
Thanks for quick response. Only removed the screws from the valve. Didn't remove any hoses. Checked thoroughly in the end that nothing is unplugged and all hoses are in place. Is it possible that any spark plug coils might have gone bad?
Old 08-23-2011, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by mandsouza
Thanks for quick response. Only removed the screws from the valve. Didn't remove any hoses. Checked thoroughly in the end that nothing is unplugged and all hoses are in place. Is it possible that any spark plug coils might have gone bad?
If that were the case, I think you'd be getting misfire codes (and thus, a flashing CEL), not emissions and O2 sensor codes.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:34 AM

I know this is an old post but get a regular 5/8ths socket without the grommet in it. Use the spark plug socket and once the spark plug is threaded but not tight, pull it back out and then switch to the regular 5/8ths socket. Also, just use the extension without the ratchet on it to catch the threading.