4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installing Factory Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 PM

Installing Factory Keyless Entry

I have a 1996 SE with manual AC, manual seats, no Bose, and no keyless entry. How hard would it be to add the factory keyless entry? I've already searched and can't really find a solid answer. Would it be as simple as buying a fob from ebay and programming it?

Btw, I have an aftermarket remote starter/keyless kit that I have NOT installed. If I use the aftermarket kit, would I still be able to remotely open the windows by holding down unlock or do I need the OEM keyless?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If im not mistaken, you do have the keyless entry just no remote, If you have a after market alarm then why worry about the keyless? Im pretty sure you dont want to carry around 2 remotes, 1 just so you can roll the window down, or do ya?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:17 AM

i have an aftermarket one that I won't install if all I have to do is program a nissan fob. but if the aftermarket one will roll the windows down too, I would just use that.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:22 AM

I just compared my car with a friend's 4th gen, mine does not have the control unit by the antenna, so I guess aftermarket it is...
Old 07-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Here is how it works...

First u need to ascertain whether or not u have factory keyless entry. A quick call to nissan with your VIN will answer that.

If u dont have a system, then u need to buy an aftermarket system and have it installed. Costs like 30-50 bucks. but u might as well get an alarm system that comes with keyless. Cost me 80 bucks for the system plus install last year.

If u do have a factory system, then jus have nissan provide u with instructions for programming a new key.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:49 AM

If you don't already have factory key less entry, installing it looks like a can of worms. The BCMs look like they are different, you'd need the key less control module, and by that time you would have already spent 1500 USD new. Of course you could get them from a junk yard, but the harnesses may be different as well (but from the looks of courtesyparts.com, they are not). You could probably save yourself a lot of headache by getting an aftermarket alarm system. The windows might not roll down, but you'd have key less entry and an alarm. Some aftermarket systems may have the ability to roll down the windows. You'd have to check into that.

It would definitely not be as simple as buying a key FOB and programming it.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by ajm8127
If you don't already have factory key less entry, installing it looks like a can of worms. The BCMs look like they are different, you'd need the key less control module, and by that time you would have already spent 1500 USD new. Of course you could get them from a junk yard, but the harnesses may be different as well (but from the looks of courtesyparts.com, they are not). You could probably save yourself a lot of headache by getting an aftermarket alarm system. The windows might not roll down, but you'd have key less entry and an alarm. Some aftermarket systems may have the ability to roll down the windows. You'd have to check into that.

It would definitely not be as simple as buying a key FOB and programming it.
Ya I figured after I saw that I dont have the control unit. Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 PM

If you do have an SE, you should be pre-wired and should be able to add it in. The harnesses for the control box should be in the trunk. The sensor for the hood is taped up behind driver's headlight. The only harness that may not be there is the one for the security light. My 95 GXE has the harnesses taped up but haven't attempted to add it in but I believe its possible.