4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

my car has a ghost!!! what can it be???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:14 AM

my car has a ghost!!! what can it be???

car has been working perfect for two days now...almost too good to be true....well here are my ghost

on the freeway on the way home all of sudden my car started to misfire..thought it might be a coil or plug....well come to a stop and it just kept misfiring alot in D and in P not as much...only when it has load...i had to get the car home so i did....well got it home thought i started unplugging coils they all did the same thing...they slowed the car down....well i turn the car off checked for any codes and only my code for my KS came up i just though meh....i took off all the coils and plugs inspected them and yea nothing seemed to be wrong...

put everything back together and started the car...well no more backfire..it thought this was strange...took the car for a long 45 min drive and nothing...had power and everything...well i notice my idle was a little high again because i did adjust it a bit because i didnt want it to stall earlier just in case....and it wouldnt go below 800 so i knew there is something else wrong here maybe a vacuum leak...

well i checked for a leak nothing....i did the procedure to adjust idle...and nothing wont go down from 800.....well i decided to check for codes again...well bingo another code came up 0201 (ignition signal) made sense...and my KS followed it 0304....well that is weird should give me another code....well i set it back...and then started the car...

then all of sudden after i turned on the car the idle was back at normal 650 in D and 700 in P.....very weird....so i shut the car off again....checked the codes and only my 0304 code came up.....WHAT THA.....i dont know....i must have ghost because my car is working fine again...this is so weird.....what do you guys think....
Old 07-15-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by sleek3
car has been working perfect for two days now...almost too good to be true....well here are my ghost

on the freeway on the way home all of sudden my car started to misfire..thought it might be a coil or plug....well come to a stop and it just kept misfiring alot in D and in P not as much...only when it has load...i had to get the car home so i did....well got it home thought i started unplugging coils they all did the same thing...they slowed the car down....well i turn the car off checked for any codes and only my code for my KS came up i just though meh....i took off all the coils and plugs inspected them and yea nothing seemed to be wrong...

put everything back together and started the car...well no more backfire..it thought this was strange...took the car for a long 45 min drive and nothing...had power and everything...well i notice my idle was a little high again because i did adjust it a bit because i didnt want it to stall earlier just in case....and it wouldnt go below 800 so i knew there is something else wrong here maybe a vacuum leak...

well i checked for a leak nothing....i did the procedure to adjust idle...and nothing wont go down from 800.....well i decided to check for codes again...well bingo another code came up 0201 (ignition signal) made sense...and my KS followed it 0304....well that is weird should give me another code....well i set it back...and then started the car...

then all of sudden after i turned on the car the idle was back at normal 650 in D and 700 in P.....very weird....so i shut the car off again....checked the codes and only my 0304 code came up.....WHAT THA.....i dont know....i must have ghost because my car is working fine again...this is so weird.....what do you guys think....
the KS code is directly caused my the misfire, as for the misfire, check your connections(all) and your MAF, crank and cam position sensors, and make sure your coolant is full and you coolant temp sensors are reading correctly, mine did the same yesterday, and it was the coolant( or lack of) cuz i blew my rad
Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 AM

I would suggest cleaning your MAF sensor first, this was a problem of mine awhile back after going through just everything imaginable it whine up being just cleaning the throttle body and MAF. but remember there are two different type cleaners for them.

Throttle Body Cleaner and MAF cleaner

Then go from there to anything electrical like coils, spark plugs, sensors etc.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:34 AM

Sleek has been havin issues wit this car for awhile now...so im sure he has already cleaned the MAF.

U got a code for the injection coils. Misfires are directly related to ingnition coils. I would hit the JY and look for a few coils or get some from the FS section here on the org.

Yo man, u almost got a clean car. U close man, I can feel it lol
Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM

thanks man...yea its almost there its just weird when i test drove the car last night i had nothing....ah man....its killing me...lol
Old 07-16-2011, 12:07 AM

nope car not fixed did it again today...gave me a 0201 code.....err but no code to tell me exactly which coil....
Old 07-17-2011, 05:34 PM

well the car is becoming intermittent now....on saturday once it got warm about 1 hour later it started to misfire...then it would it would feel like a little pop feel when waiting at the lights....and driving it...it would misfire....well yesterday and this morning it only misfired twice...i drove around like 1-2 hours trying to get constant like it was doing so my auto elec could see it... only did it twice..then ran fine again i dropped it off to him regardless and he is going to drive it around for the week to try to find the source of the problem he needs it to start missing so he can hook up his scanner...
Old 07-17-2011, 09:05 PM
No more Maximas...

First, your profile says '97, you say '95?

Second, if you have an A32 with a VG, then there's something seriously wrong here.

Your coils are failing. They tend to break up when hot when they reach their end of life. Ohm them out. That's not a definitive test (preferably you'd use a scope and a low amp probe) but it's close enough for a rough diag. If you'd prefer, replace them all.

Also, there's not much to see with a scantool on the A32. Even mode 6 (not available on '95) doesn't show misfire counters, only emissions related crap. Unless he can do a power balance test right when it's misfiring, or pull a misfire code, the scantool is relatively useless in this case.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:45 PM

well yea sorry for the miscommunication its a 1995 nissan maxima 30GV....not VG. GV=luxury version.....and it has a VQ30DE
Old 07-17-2011, 11:30 PM

ok...got a call from my auto elec...he said he hasnt had much time to deal with it but tomorrow he will....hes been driving it around and it hasnt misfired on him yet...errr...i was hoping it would...but he did say he hooked up the scanner to it and he said its showing him something to do with airflow that is not 100%....so he said he will work on it more tomorrow hopefully he will be able to figure it out....
Old 07-18-2011, 05:31 PM

i hope my car is fixed by the weekend and he finds the fault...and if he cant i will try to find the fault myself again...i will buy a 2 new coils and keep swapping them over till i can find the culprit if it is a coil.....and if all else fails i cant be bothered with it i will just probably sell a very good car with a small fault....and buy something else like a lexus es300 or something similar ect ect...
Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by sleek3
i hope my car is fixed by the weekend and he finds the fault...and if he cant i will try to find the fault myself again...i will buy a 2 new coils and keep swapping them over till i can find the culprit if it is a coil.....and if all else fails i cant be bothered with it i will just probably sell a very good car with a small fault....and buy something else like a lexus es300 or something similar ect ect...
Sell a car just because of an intermittent misfire? Guess that's just a difference in locale, around here you'd just be an idiot to do something that drastic.

I suppose things are different in Australia.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Sell a car just because of an intermittent misfire? Guess that's just a difference in locale, around here you'd just be an idiot to do something that drastic.

I suppose things are different in Australia.
well same goes here everyone just keeps telling me to keep it...its just annoying....havent really been able to enjoy the car as of yet...maybe i should just hang in there because i did have big plans and all my cefiro gear is on the way and it would be a waste just to sell it....here is what is coming in...

cefiro rear tail lights (two piece)
cefiro rear garnish to suit
cefiro centre armrest glovebox (hoping its the two piece one)
cefiro one piece blacked headlights
cefiro grille
20 inch j-line vip rl2 rims....

it would be such a waste to just sell...lets see what i can do hopefully either the auto elec or i can fix it and i will be happy again...lol
Old 07-18-2011, 07:13 PM

maybe the injector is going bad it can cause strange problems
Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 PM

well i dont think its an injector...my dads friend the auto electrician has been driving the car now for two days and said the has not faulted on him once yet...hasnt misfired at all....i dont know maybe i just had some bad fuel in there or what because the day before it misfired i filled up the tank with about $20 worth of fuel....then the next day it started to misfire and the day after that aswell....so i changed the spark plugs and put some 98 fuel in there...it misfired for the first drive...then after that the following two days misfired 2 or 3 times and now for the past two days it hasnt misfired at all....weird.....i dont know...its starting to sh*t me....