4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Red/Clears Done! Couple Tips Learned...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:56 AM

Red/Clears Done! Couple Tips Learned...

Whats up Fellas!!!

So i decided to go back to my oem tail lights. Because my current ones were outdated. But before i did that, i coverted the original's ambers to clear. I know there has been many threads created before regarding modifing our original OEM tail lights. However, I have a couple tips I learned along the way that I had not seen posted on these prior threads.

1. We all know how messy and sticky it is that black tar like glue Nissan uses on there tail lights. To remove that I used this product called Goo Gone. It worked great. Just spray it on and easily wipes off. No scrubbing and good to use on your hands. Its good to remove anything which is adhesive, even tar.

2. Going in I heard many people complain about, after performing the mod on their tail lights, the clears did not match to their reverse lights. When I went to Home Depot they had two clear acrylic light sheets. There was one by the light fixture section and there was another near the lumbar section. I ended up buying both so I can do a side by side comparison with my lights and return the unused one. There was a slight difference. One is more crystal clear while the other is clear but a bit more opaque. I ended up using the one which more opaque. It matched up good and I did not have to do all the lights.

Here is the before and after pics: I'm almost embarrassed to show the before pics because they were so out dated and change was way over due.

http://s977.photobucket.com/albums/a...Tail%20Lights/

Last edited by felorojas14; 07-12-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Much better.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by felorojas14
Whats up Fellas!!!

I know there has been many threads created before regarding this subject. However, I have a couple tips I learned along the way that I had not heard posted on these prior threads.

1. We all know how messy and sticky it is that black tar like glue Nissan uses on there tail lights. To remove that I used this product called Goo Gone. It worked great. Just spray it on and easily wipes off. No scrubbing and good to use on your hands. Its good to remove anything which is adhesive, even tar.

2. Going in I heard many people complain about, after performing the mod on their tail lights, the clears did not match to their reverse lights. When I went to Home Depot they had two clear acrylic light sheets. There was one by the light fixture section and there was another near the lumbar section. I ended up buying both so I can do a side by side comparison with my lights and return the unused one. There was a slight difference. One is more crystal clear while the other is clear but a bit more opaque. I ended up using the one which more opaque. It matched up good and I did not have to do all the lights.

Here is the before and after pics: I'm almost embarrassed to show the before pics because they were so out dated and change was way over due.

http://s977.photobucket.com/albums/a...Tail%20Lights/

Wait im confused. U bought the clears and had to add acrylic over them? didnt they come with the reverse lights and tails??

Some history wd help

Looks good tho
Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Wait im confused. U bought the clears and had to add acrylic over them? didnt they come with the reverse lights and tails??

Some history wd help

Looks good tho

Your right. Reading it now, it was a bit confusing...just did some editing