4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car wont start.. fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 AM

It stayed on while I was driving. It shouldn't illuminate at all while the car is on.

The ignition switch isn't an expensive part I just don't see how that could be it. Typically when ignition switches go the car won't even crank.

Last edited by ThreePointO; 07-17-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Also, i tried starting the car again after it sat for about 5 hours and it started and instantly died, then nothing.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ThreePointO
Typically when ignition switches go the car won't even crank.
Not true with Maximas. Pretty common actually.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:13 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by asand1
I've worked at a dealership, for the most part they are trained monkeys with tools and specs. They could not diagnose their way out of a paper bag. This will be my last post in this thread, good luck with your car.

Originally Posted by asand1
With the security once it triggers it'll never start until reset. The ignition contacts go to **** while the starter contacts are still good sometimes. Does the security light STAY on? Its supposed to blink while driving I think.
It's not supposed to blink while driving, no. It should only be blinking with the key off in or in the accessory position. The only time it should light up with the key in the on position is if there's a NATS malfunction.

NATS can trigger a fault but continue to work, or work intermittently. There's even a specific data listing retrieved by the CONSULT for how many drive cycles have occurred since a NATS code was set, or since it detected an error.

Also, i tried starting the car again after it sat for about 5 hours and it started and instantly died, then nothing.
Is the security light staying on now? Did they give you the actual code they pulled? NATS can throw two different codes that actually say 'KEY', but all but one involve the key in one way or another.

A weak antenna amp can cause it to only receive the key ID intermittently, or not fully read it. A bad NATS IMMU might only work some of the time, or be overly sensitive to electrical noise. The communication line between the NATS IMMU and the ECU could be damaged, etc.

There's also self check procedure that will make the ECU and NATS perform a built-in function test to look for problems. Really, they didn't do a proper diag and instead just programmed some keys and let it go, hoping that fixed it. You should bring it back and request a loaner, and a refund of the key and programming charges that obviously didn't fix your problem.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:54 PM

Thanks pmohr, I kinda figured the guy at Nissan was just bsing me. I explained to him how I had bought a new key but he just kept telling me it was the key.

I looked at the paper when I got home and they wrote down all the codes and I realized there was a map sensor code (I didn't write them down unfortunatly) which he mentioned on the phone but when I asked him about it he just changed the subject back to the key issue. I called them and left a message because the service department was closed by the time I got to call them.

I'm starting to think it might be the fuel pump. It was making a chewbaca like noise when it was priming so I'm gonna do a pressure test when I get back to my house.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:04 PM
No more Maximas...

Thanks pmohr, I kinda figured the guy at Nissan was just bsing me. I explained to him how I had bought a new key but he just kept telling me it was the key.

I looked at the paper when I got home and they wrote down all the codes and I realized there was a map sensor code (I didn't write them down unfortunatly) which he mentioned on the phone but when I asked him about it he just changed the subject back to the key issue. I called them and left a message because the service department was closed by the time I got to call them.

I'm starting to think it might be the fuel pump. It was making a chewbaca like noise when it was priming so I'm gonna do a pressure test when I get back to my house.
If the security light is coming on and it's not starting (you haven't yet said if it is or not during the times it won't start) then it's indicative of a NATS issue, which is most likely. You could confirm this with a noid light on an injector harness, or pulling the rail to see if it's squirting fuel.

The ECU codes are irrelevant, it's the NATS codes that matter.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:19 PM

Oh lordy, lordy, lordy... NATS, been there done that.

This does sound like a NATs issue, mine didn't die while running but I've had the problems you've had.

Random, unlikely, but a possibility.....

The wiring harness going to the ecu, could be messed up somewhere grounding out causing the fuel to stop being pumped, I remember when I forgot to plug back my ECU in that I had the same no fuel issue and no security light.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:51 PM

Mine has never cut out on me while I was driving. And yes pmohr, the times it won't start the security light is on.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:56 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by aackshun
I remember when I forgot to plug back my ECU in that I had the same no fuel issue and no security light.
The ECU controls the fuel pump relay, hence no fuel. If the NATS IMMU can't connect with the ECU, it turns on the security light. Damage to two completely unrelated circuits going to two different parts of the car seems unlikely, unless someone was just messing around in there.

Mine has never cut out on me while I was driving. And yes pmohr, the times it won't start the security light is on.
If the security light is on when it won't start, there's really no point in testing anything else, NATS is having the ECU disable the injectors. Your Nissan dealer didn't do a proper diag, which you paid for. Have them tow it back on their dime and fix it correctly.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:21 PM

That's what I plan on doing in the morning.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 PM

so i got the car back today. they told me there was several chaffed wires laying over the top of the NATS box. They taped/replaced them and i was on my way. So far so good.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:19 PM

so i got the car back today. they told me there was several chaffed wires laying over the top of the NATS box. They taped/replaced them and i was on my way. So far so good.
did you get charged?