4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AC not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:36 PM

AC not working

since its started to get hot the AC in my car is not blowing cold. What should i start looking at or could it just be something as simple as it needing Freon?!?!?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 PM

it could be something simple like that. they sells cans that has hose with gauge. connect it to your low side port, turn engine on , turn ac max. then this gauge will show you if u too low on refrigerant, if yes just charge some more and see what happens.

of course could be hundreds reasons why it doesnt blow cold. i would check that first
Old 05-31-2011, 08:38 PM

Is there any temp change at all between basic vent and AC? Can u hear the AC clutch engaging? Is it auto or manual CC? I agree with mateusz1945, for ~$20 you can get the freon with the hose/gauge from autozone and check it yourself. Thats all mine needed and shes ice cold again.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:42 PM

I refilled mine, and it all leaked out. Most likely you have a leak somewhere. I found out my leak was in my Evaporator.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 PM
ef9

Before you add any cans of refrigerent, I would seriously get a set of manifold gauges. An overcharged system (too much refrigerent) can cause problems too!

Without a set of manifold gauges, is like NOT having a multimeter to troubleshoot a voltage problem.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:58 PM

Well I bought a can, put it in, no change. But I also noticed while on this mission that the AC compressor did not engage. So I think that is what my issue is. So now I'll have to buy one and put it in. I noticed there is no install manual in the how to's. So does anyone know where I can find one or does anyone know how to do it?!?!
Thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM

Well I bought a can, put it in, no change. But I also noticed while on this mission that the AC compressor did not engage. So I think that is what my issue is. So now I'll have to buy one and put it in. I noticed there is no install manual in the how to's. So does anyone know where I can find one or does anyone know how to do it?!?!
Thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 04:16 PM

First of all, there are other reasons why the compressor doesn't run. If the system pressure is low, the compressor won't run. If you have a leak and all the refrigerant had leaked out, the one can you put in isn't enough and you still have low pressure. Then you have the possibility that the control switches in the dash are bad. Fuse # 61 located under the hood by the battery could be blown. The compressor itself is probably good - if anything the clutch is bad. You can jumper 12 volts to the clutch to see if it engages.

Get the FSN and check these things before you replace the compressor.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/

and click on the year desired.
The file named fwd.pdf is the "cover page" file, the starting point.
The file named idx.pdf is the alphabetical index file.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:58 PM
ef9

What is your low side pressure? What is your high side pressure?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
First of all, there are other reasons why the compressor doesn't run. If the system pressure is low, the compressor won't run. If you have a leak and all the refrigerant had leaked out, the one can you put in isn't enough and you still have low pressure. Then you have the possibility that the control switches in the dash are bad. Fuse # 61 located under the hood by the battery could be blown. The compressor itself is probably good - if anything the clutch is bad. You can jumper 12 volts to the clutch to see if it engages.

Get the FSN and check these things before you replace the compressor.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/

and click on the year desired.
The file named fwd.pdf is the "cover page" file, the starting point.
The file named idx.pdf is the alphabetical index file.
i know it was reading about 25 psi on the pressure, i didnt notice any leakage when i put the can in. ill check the fuse today.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by maxxxdout
i know it was reading about 25 psi on the pressure, i didnt notice any leakage when i put the can in. ill check the fuse today.
How to tell if your A/C system needs refrigerant: look at the LOW pressure gauge reading when the engine is OFF. On an 80 degree day, the LOW gauge should read about 56 psi or higher if the A/C system contains an adequate charge of refrigerant. On a 90 degree day, the LOW side reading should be about 70 psi or higher. If the LOW gauge reading is less than this, the A/C system probably needs some additional refrigerant.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
How to tell if your A/C system needs refrigerant: look at the LOW pressure gauge reading when the engine is OFF. On an 80 degree day, the LOW gauge should read about 56 psi or higher if the A/C system contains an adequate charge of refrigerant. On a 90 degree day, the LOW side reading should be about 70 psi or higher. If the LOW gauge reading is less than this, the A/C system probably needs some additional refrigerant.
This is very true. Freon changes with the outside temperature.. something people do not realize when they put the R134a into their cars. the gauges that come on the R134a bottles at autozone have a little dial that lets you move the "sweet spot" or wanted psi depending on the outside temperature. So just make sure you put the right amount in your system you dont want to overcharge your system. Also you only get the reading of the compressor when the freon bottle isnt being sucked in from the compressor. Close the entry of the bottle from time to time to get a reading from the compressor.

Also The AC system should be a closed system.. So you shouldn't be leaking Freon. In an ideal world you shouldn't need to add freon to your system. But since its not.. You might have a leak. I know autozone also sells a product called Super Seal.. Its basically an additive like "Slime" for the tires that stays as a liquid in your system. It goes throughout the system and if you have little leaks cracks or holes itll seal it off.. But you have to add freon right after to make sure it doesn't close off the low pressure port. so add this before hand.

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-02-2011, 01:31 PM

ok ill check it when im off from work