4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Lend an opinion to my dilemma?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 01:00 AM

Lend an opinion to my dilemma?

Hey guys, so as the title states i got a bit of a dilemma that i wish to share with you all and would love your opinion. This is in regards to my maxima. So i currently own a 98 maxima with about 278xxxkm (which is roughly just under 173k miles) at the moment, if i want to sell it i can probably get somewhere between 1400-1800$ for it. I say that because it has a few things that need fixing and today i felt that another issue has come up. Let me first list what is currently wrong

- ABS light is on = im assuming i gotta fix the whole module as its on 100% of the time
- CEL light is on = according to the codes i just gotta clean/change my EGR tubes
- shocks are all blown im pretty sure
- i have a PS leak which requires me to change the whole rack n pinion
- gotta replace left LCA
- altho my rotors/pads r only 7k km old, they are squealing pretty bad as i never broke them in properly.
- one of my back calipers is seized

and lastly in the mornings when i turn the car on and leave for work , my car isnt warmed up enough that i feel that when im driving and i'm coming to a stop my front seems to grind, dont know if that makes any sense as i dont know from where exactly this "grinding" is coming from but thats all i can "hear" when im breaking; feels like something is gonna break tbh lol

So with all these issues and the amount that my car is worth, my dilemma is, is it worth to fix the issues and keep it or cut my losses and move on? Im currently saving up for either a 4runner or a prelude, and although i cant afford anything fancy in those categories, i have the $ to basically jump ship to something mediocre if i chose too. Thanks for your input!
Old 05-11-2013, 04:03 AM

The car definitely needs some maintenance. Some of the items sound straight forward, but others need more diagnostic information. It all translates into money, just how much is unknown.

I get the impression that you are not really a car repairing kind of guy so let the Maxima go. And since you are planning to get another vehicle anyway, I think that this is a good time to move on that plan and not spend the money on repairing the Maxima.

Your concern with the grinding noise may be something that you want to take care of. It could be the brakes doing this. If you will continue to drive the Maxima while you look for another vehicle, you should get the brakes working properly for your own safety and well being.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:36 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

ABS - Pull the codes, you can do this yourself with a jumper on the OBD connector. Search around on here for the instructions, it's probable a wheel speed sensor. Your looking at 60 70 bucks for the sensor.

Clean the EGR tube, clear the codes $0.00

Look for a used rack here in the classified section. (150 - 200 bucks?)

The lower control arm is cheap, 70 bucks? Might even find a used on here.

Rear calipers are also cheap, like 80 bucks, again look through the classified section.

Not sure what's going on up front cold, might be a slight brake issue, bent splash shield?

In all, you can probably get everything fixed under 500 bucks and be good for another 100k miles.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The car definitely needs some maintenance. Some of the items sound straight forward, but others need more diagnostic information. It all translates into money, just how much is unknown.

I get the impression that you are not really a car repairing kind of guy so let the Maxima go. And since you are planning to get another vehicle anyway, I think that this is a good time to move on that plan and not spend the money on repairing the Maxima.

Your concern with the grinding noise may be something that you want to take care of. It could be the brakes doing this. If you will continue to drive the Maxima while you look for another vehicle, you should get the brakes working properly for your own safety and well being.
Thanks for the input. You are right, im not a car repairing type of guy and thats why with the issues in this car, they have me thinking about moving on. Yes i can do the simple things but when it becomes more technical as most of my issues, i am lost haha. Doesn't help that i dont own many tools and whatever we have in the house, i have NO idea where they are. I will continue to drive the car as its my dd so i will get that grind looked at. Funny thing is it doesnt do it when the weather is warm/hot , only when everything is cold from the drop of temperature. Sounds weird i know...but thats just an observation lol

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
ABS - Pull the codes, you can do this yourself with a jumper on the OBD connector. Search around on here for the instructions, it's probable a wheel speed sensor. Your looking at 60 70 bucks for the sensor.

Clean the EGR tube, clear the codes $0.00

Look for a used rack here in the classified section. (150 - 200 bucks?)

The lower control arm is cheap, 70 bucks? Might even find a used on here.

Rear calipers are also cheap, like 80 bucks, again look through the classified section.

Not sure what's going on up front cold, might be a slight brake issue, bent splash shield?

In all, you can probably get everything fixed under 500 bucks and be good for another 100k miles.
altho parts wise its 500$ , like i stated above, im not the repairing type of guy so most of it would have to go to a shop. most shops have already quoted me 5hrs for the rack n pinion fix, that alone right there is between 350-500$ depending where i take it. All in all i say its gonna cost me close too if not over 1500$ to fix, where the car itself is worth around there. Thats why im wondering if its even worth it..

Last edited by xplicitMAX; 05-11-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Administrator

If you can't do the work yourself, then yeah, it just may be time to let it go.