4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

getting 9-10 mpg what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:48 AM

Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 AM

#1. Make sure maintenance is up to date
#2. Do you have any codes?
#3. How exactly did you calculate 9-10mpg? Or do you just feel like thats all your getting or did you actually do the math?

Last edited by Shift_Nismo; 03-30-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1997MAXZ

city,highway, or mixed? What type of driving?

There are tons of topics on things you can do to increase your MPG. From what I've collected, pretty much a basic tune-up should do a considerable amount for your MPG.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 AM

get a hummer
Old 03-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Blown

Pull over because you have a gas leak! If the car is still running smooth then the only thing I can think of that would cause that low of mileage are flat tires, ore else one or more of your brake calipers are frozen. Are any of your wheels hot after you drive?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 AM

I think I'm getting 9-10 mpg also..... (at wot)

Tell us more info about your car, so we can help you out moarrr
Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 PM

o2 sensors???
Old 03-30-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
o2 sensors???
Won't effect (or affect?) his mpg.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:19 PM

needs some READ MOAR
Old 03-30-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by cardana24
Pull over because you have a gas leak! If the car is still running smooth then the only thing I can think of that would cause that low of mileage are flat tires, ore else one or more of your brake calipers are frozen. Are any of your wheels hot after you drive?
I have a seized rear caliper (fixing it this weekend) and a bad o2 sensor and I'm still managing 20 mpg.

You sir have a serious problem, check for leaks asap.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Someone is stealing gas from you. MPG NINJAS! OOOOH NOES!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by aackshun
Effing aye they will.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Administrator

O2's won't effect (or affect?) his mpg.
Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Effing aye they will.
I agree with NmexMAX. O2's certainly play a role in mpg's...
Old 03-30-2011, 02:20 PM
KH3 by popular demand

If o2 sensors are bad the car runs in open loop and runs rich. Running rich in daily driving=waste of gas. Pull codes and do maintenance.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:26 PM

check air filter, brakes, o2 sensor, tire pressure, make sure your oil is not full of crap causing the engine to work harder, therefore use more power and fuel.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:59 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I probably should have been more professional but yes, they will.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:34 PM

wouldn't you smell the gas if you had a leak?

wouldn't you be able to feel the breaks grabbing @ real low speeds and smell them once they heated up @ high speeds?

if the o2 sensors were bad there would definitely be some codes.

your tires would need to be basically flat for you to get that low of mileage and you would notice.

did you just notice a drop in mileage or has it been slowly decreasing?

if i had to guess i would say its probably a combination of a lot of things.. ive red a few times on here about people getting poor mileage if they went way over 3k miles for an oil change. so maybe its a combination of low tire pressure, "clogged" air filter, old spark plugs, crappy 87 octane gas, busted o2 sensors, and driving style.

Last edited by ThreePointO; 03-30-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:04 AM

Effing aye they will.
Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
If o2 sensors are bad the car runs in open loop and runs rich. Running rich in daily driving=waste of gas. Pull codes and do maintenance.
Just basing off of my personal expierience, I took my 5th gen home w/ 3 bad O2 sensors, still got 27-28mpg on from Atlanta -> Houston.

And on my 4th gen, I had 2/3 out (just not connected) car still ran fine (sort of, it's problems weren't O2 sensor related at the time, had other issues which is why the sesnsors were disconnected).
Old 03-31-2011, 04:06 AM

if o2 sensors are that crucial...if i get my o2 sensors fixed, ill easily see upwards of 32mpg
Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 AM
dot dot dot ...

Just basing off of my personal expierience, I took my 5th gen home w/ 3 bad O2 sensors, still got 27-28mpg on from Atlanta -> Houston.

And on my 4th gen, I had 2/3 out (just not connected) car still ran fine (sort of, it's problems weren't O2 sensor related at the time, had other issues which is why the sesnsors were disconnected).
My primaries are disconnected but my secondaries are plugged into the primary port.

With this set-up, my highway driving is great, 28 MPG.

But my city driving is horrid because of the open loop/closed loop switchover which occurs at low load, aka city driving and i get 17MPG. It is also noted on my WB when I'm in low load situations, low throttle (don't quote the FSM word for word, throttle position to RPM relation, because it is still a general range/value, as eng92 has proven this quantitatively and I have observed it qualitatively via my WB) my car runs pig rich when in low load situations.

Also, with all that said my car is a cali-spec (03, as they all are). But the vehicle in question is a fed spec, meaning less O2 sensors, and therefore more chance for said sensors to be faulty (less sensors = less back-up choices for ECU to rely on, good example is my set-up where the 2 secondaries make-up for the lack of primaries on the highway).

I've also noted some cars, when all O2 sensors d/c'd will dip in the 10's AFR-wise.

But, with all that said, it may also be a MAF issue, typically placement, vs fault.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:11 AM

My primaries are disconnected but my secondaries are plugged into the primary port.

With this set-up, my highway driving is great, 28 MPG.

But my city driving is horrid because of the open loop/closed loop switchover which occurs at low load, aka city driving and i get 17MPG. It is also noted on my WB when I'm in low load situations, low throttle (don't quote the FSM word for word, throttle position to RPM relation, because it is still a general range/value, as eng92 has proven this quantitatively and I have observed it qualitatively via my WB) my car runs pig rich when in low load situations.

Also, with all that said my car is a cali-spec (03, as they all are). But the vehicle in question is a fed spec, meaning less O2 sensors, and therefore more chance for said sensors to be faulty (less sensors = less back-up choices for ECU to rely on, good example is my set-up where the 2 secondaries make-up for the lack of primaries on the highway).

I've also noted some cars, when all O2 sensors d/c'd will dip in the 10's AFR-wise.

But, with all that said, it may also be a MAF issue, typically placement, vs fault.
Now that I think about it, my car did run really lean, so lean that I didn't even hear a backfire when shifting (With only the headers on), it could have been the MASSIVE vacuum leak I had but dunno.... Can't speak for how my 5th gen ran it was so long ago and so stock, such a n00b those days...
Old 04-01-2011, 08:48 AM

no gas leak, new brakes, city driving mostly and 185 miles out of a full tank of vpower??
Old 04-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Blown

do you have a younger brother with a shiphon hose?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:49 PM

In Re to the O2 sensor comment.

I just got a codes for all 3 o2's on my roadtrip, still got 34-36mpg, I stand by my original comment, O2 sesnors are useless for MPG reasons.

And City mpg was still around 30, didn't do enough city driving (Manhattan, KS is toooo small)
Old 04-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Administrator

In Re to the O2 sensor comment.

I just got a codes for all 3 o2's on my roadtrip, still got 34-36mpg, I stand by my original comment, O2 sesnors are useless for MPG reasons.

And City mpg was still around 30, didn't do enough city driving (Manhattan, KS is toooo small)
Sorry bud, but that's quit an ignorant comment. Just because your situation doesn't match with what most people experience (worse gas mileage with bad O2's) doesn't mean that what you say is fact.

Pick up your Haynes Manual and look in the troubleshooting section for poor gas mileage and see what it lists. O2 sensors will be one of the possible culprits.

Pick up your FSM and go the codes for O2 sensors. I believe gas mileage is mentioned there too.

Also, how are you getting 34-36mpg when a 5spd Max is rated 22 city/27 freeway and the auto is rated 21/28?? That has to be a typo...
Old 04-05-2011, 01:48 AM

no gas leak, new brakes, city driving mostly and 185 miles out of a full tank of vpower??
For someone who does not know what is wrong with his car and claims to get 9-10 mpg, you sure seem affirmed.

To put this into perspective I just drove a rental from the PDX area to SLC (aprox. 800 miles). The truck was a 26' box pulled by a 9.3 turbo diesel international maxforce9 (over 300hp and 900+ lb ft). We had well over the 'limited' 9k on a 30k single axle (26k gvwr)... At any rate my point was, I got 8.36 mpg. That is significant considering what I was pulling and the passes/mileage covered. Are you pulling a boat or something with your maxima?

TBH, if your maxima's engine (if anywhere near stock) was actually consuming enough fuel to equate 9-10 mpg, it would not be running. You got some great suggestions on what to check and gave us the equivalent of a one-word-answer response. I do not understand how you expect to be helped.

BTW - You will not get an accurate number if you test your mileage on only 1 tank of gas. Sure it will get you into the ballpark; assuming you are competent. You should be filling up, then recording mileage and exact gas input over a few 'tanks worth' of driving. For all I know you poured cement into your gas tank and it now only has an 8 gallon capacity. (I think that is about as likely as you getting your claimed 9-10mpg.)

I would like to know: How and where you looked for a fuel leak. What having 'new' brakes quantifies as/to. How you tested your O2 sensors. As well as how you actually tested mpg.

What I really want to know is how people come up with their crazy conclusions... lol
Old 04-05-2011, 06:36 AM

o2's definitely will play a role, because my mpg's went up considerably after i changed mine a few weeks ago.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 AM

185 miles??? thats like 12 mpg city !!!

How is that even possible. U sure ur tires inflated to spec? U must be pulling a house behind you or VERY spirited driving
Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I can't seem to find the key on my calculator for the "Full tank of Vpower".

MPG = Miles driven/gallons used (Full tank doesn't qualify as gallons used) READ THE PUMP!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 AM

I will keep track of the next few fill ups and report back. i do drive a bit spirited and have a short ram hot air intake lol. maybe that isnt helping
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM

Sorry bud, but that's quit an ignorant comment. Just because your situation doesn't match with what most people experience (worse gas mileage with bad O2's) doesn't mean that what you say is fact.

Pick up your Haynes Manual and look in the troubleshooting section for poor gas mileage and see what it lists. O2 sensors will be one of the possible culprits.

Pick up your FSM and go the codes for O2 sensors. I believe gas mileage is mentioned there too.

Also, how are you getting 34-36mpg when a 5spd Max is rated 22 city/27 freeway and the auto is rated 21/28?? That has to be a typo...
Ignorant? Out of all of the cars I owned, none of the MPGs were affected by the O2 Sensors, I only spoke about my maximas because this is a Maxima forum.

98 V6 Camaro
97 LeSabre
04 Mustang LX
02 Mitsu Diamante
-Already Mentioned
01 Maxima
99 Maxima

All of them had 2 or more failed O2s, took all 4 of those cars across country or drove them through houston thousands of miles with the failed o2 sensors, they all got atleast what the EPA said or better MPG. Now, I will re-do my previous statement, since I do not have crazy scientific jargon or fsm quoting to back me up, just personal experience.

From my personal experience bad o2s will NOT affect a car's performance.

I'll grab the Haynes later. And the FSM stuff is at the bottom of my post.

When I was 5MT I got 26 city and 28 highway mpg, even my stock 5th gen got 25 city and 27 highway. The best I ever got out of a 5mt was my current maxima at 37mpg (It's disputed, so we'll say I drove 10hrs on one tank of gas) on the north and southbound Oklahoma City->Manhattan, KS portion of my trip, but that was a freak occurence that has yet to be repeated.

But then Shift_6th thing in my sig isn't a joke... I'm 6spd w/ a 4.1 FD. And on this trip with the 3 o2 codes, PNP and revese light code, I did Manhattan, KS to a gas station to Ennis, TX (my odometer said 551 miles, I did stop in OKC and Denton for a bit too) on less than one tank of gas, the light came on in Ennis, so I just pulled over to get a break and get some gas to get home.

Here's an exhaustive list of what to check via FSM, I only have the 99 one downloaded, but I'm sure it's the same for you....

-Check EVERYTHING that has to do with Air, from Air cleaner to Throttle Body, then make sure your Idle is correct (Make sure it's within spec 550-750)
-Make sure your TPS is working and Adjusted
-Check your MAF
-Check the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor
-Check the Injectors (Says check the wiring? I'd also make sure a few of them aren't stuck open, by just going to a junkyard or buying a good set)
-Check your Knock Sensor
-Check your Oil related things (Is it good oil? What about the filter? What about your pump?)
-Check your Fuel Lines
-Check the FPR
-Check the Fuel Pump
-Check what could be straining the alternator, check for bad grounds, weak battery, etc.
-Check out your A/C system.
-Clean out your EGR
-Replace your PCVs
-Check your EVAP system
-Check your cooling system (Radiator, Radiator Cap, Fans, lines)
-Replace the Front Heated O2 Sensor (I'm just quoting the FSM... shaddup)
-Check the Vehicle SPeed Sensor????? (FSM says so... Since it is the bible around here I guess you better check it!)
-Park Neutral Circuit (Well... Check it... Even though mine has been disconnected since I swapped transmissions)
-At this point in time the only things left to check are the actual mechanical parts of the motor, which at this point, you're better off replacing the motor.

That's it... That's a complete list of what the FSM says check (Engine wise), I may miss 1 or 2 things but really after doing all of that, and you still get 9-12 mpg.... It's not anything connected to the motor atleast!

I will keep track of the next few fill ups and report back. i do drive a bit spirited and have a short ram hot air intake lol. maybe that isnt helping
That short ram is the least of your worries right now, FWIW I have a SRI.

Last edited by aackshun; 04-05-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

From my personal experience bad o2s will NOT affect a car's performance.

Myself and Wizard will both whole heartily agree here, BUT, we were speaking more of MPG, not performance.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 AM

You could do 1 of 2 types of SeaFoam cleaning applications. One involves inhaling a 1/2 tin or so thru the brake vacuum line right into the fuel intake up end. Then the other 1/2 in the oil and and another portion in gas tank. Change the oil right away after the upper end cleaning and do it somewhere you can account for white cloud the size of an aircraft carrier. You should get some improvement right away. Other than that, I do notice a significant relation to fuel and the front o2 sensors, the cat 4 wire doesn't affect mileage as it doesn't adjust air to fuel mixture. When did you last change your sparkplugs and are they the correct ones. coils? air filter? Do you burn 87 octane or 94.... many factors but seafoam will atleast have you clean and isn't expensive.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:37 PM

Myself and Wizard will both whole heartily agree here, BUT, we were speaking more of MPG, not performance.
I consider them the same, since I've gotten a license I have been driving 300 + miles a week (really closer to 400, the 300 was just based on work and school only, that's not including me going out at night)

So...

In my personal expierience bad O2s have not affected performance or mpgs.

Last edited by aackshun; 04-05-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:40 PM
dot dot dot ...

I consider them the same, since I've gotten a license I have been driving 300 + miles a week (really closer to 400, the 300 was just based on work and school only, that's not including me going out at night)

So...

In my personal expierience bad O2s have not affected performance or mpgs.
It's probably because your car is lighter than 99% of most 4th gens out there.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:44 PM

It's probably because your car is lighter than 99% of most 4th gens out there.
And what's the excuse for my 5 previous cars???
Old 04-05-2011, 01:45 PM
dot dot dot ...

And what's the excuse for my 5 previous cars???
They were probably in the same boat, freakishly light.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:48 PM

They were probably in the same boat, freakishly light.
no the Diamante is near 4klbs, i'd say it's freakishly heavy, also in pretty rough shape, the o2s are the least of it's problems right now, it's chilling in the garage cause it's getting MPQs... Miles per quarts (of coolant)
Old 04-05-2011, 01:50 PM

If your car was actually getting 10mpg you would have serious driveability problems and a cel, or you would definitly be smelling gas, so since you didn't mention any of those it's one of the following-

You skipped 3rd grade

you DID complete the third grade, but failed to lay off the bong rips before computing your mpg

Your gas station has a metering problem (I once filled up 3 different cars at a local sunoco w/93 for like $2......... $2 to fill the tank! Computer glitch ftw)

You are idling for hours at a time

You have a remote start that is starting up your car for a few hours every night

Someone is borrowing your car without you knowing

Someone is stealing your gas, not easy to do on a maxima.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:54 PM

-Check EVERYTHING that has to do with Air, from Air cleaner to Throttle Body, then make sure your Idle is correct (Make sure it's within spec 550-750)
-Make sure your TPS is working and Adjusted
-Check your MAF
-Check the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor
-Check the Injectors (Says check the wiring? I'd also make sure a few of them aren't stuck open, by just going to a junkyard or buying a good set)
-Check your Knock Sensor
-Check your Oil related things (Is it good oil? What about the filter? What about your pump?)
-Check your Fuel Lines
-Check the FPR
-Check the Fuel Pump
-Check what could be straining the alternator, check for bad grounds, weak battery, etc.
-Check out your A/C system.
-Clean out your EGR
-Replace your PCVs
-Check your EVAP system
-Check your cooling system (Radiator, Radiator Cap, Fans, lines)
-Replace the Front Heated O2 Sensor (I'm just quoting the FSM... shaddup)
-Check the Vehicle SPeed Sensor????? (FSM says so... Since it is the bible around here I guess you better check it!)
-Park Neutral Circuit (Well... Check it... Even though mine has been disconnected since I swapped transmissions)
-At this point in time the only things left to check are the actual mechanical parts of the motor, which at this point, you're better off replacing the motor.
Sorry but if any one of those systems had a fault large enough to cause 10mpg there would be major driveability problems & a CEL.

Also, you're crazy if you think o2s don't effect performance or MPG. I've seen plenty of cars get p0300's during casual driving

Quick Reply: getting 9-10 mpg what to do??