4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

side molding on doors

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 AM

side molding on doors

Just got a quick question. My side moldings on the doors are starting to come off on both sides, and I want to re-glue them. But I am not sure what to use to get them to stick flush to the door again. Is there a double sided tape I should use or some type of glue? Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Those moldings are held by either clips or bolts/nuts on the inside of the door. I would do whatever it takes to replace the OEM stuff that is broken for the best look, fit and finish.

Double sided tape won't last forever, and will add thickness assuming it will be the heavy duty kind. So skip that idea.

Heavy duty glue is an option, but I'd make that plan B.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:58 PM

lmk how you clip those back together because i need to remove and repaint mine
Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
4th Gen Parts King

There held on by double sided tape but I don't recommend using it to refasten them. I use window weld but any strong urethane will work as long as you don't plan on removing them in the future.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:54 PM

95 GLE mouldings coming off. Play the guitar?? Find someone who does and ask for th e string, thinest one called the 6th string. Warm up the moulding a bit with a hair dryer. Grab the wire around both fists and slide it under the moulding. If you can have someone hold the moulding so it doesn't kink. Slide the wire under the trim and it's off. Clean it up to remove residue, clean door and re apply trim with 3M brand trim moulding tape. There were no bolts or clips holding the trim onto the car. There were holes in the door that lined up with small tabs on the trim. When you run the wire just stop at the tab, insert the wire just after it and keep going. If the trim is bent it can be straightened when taken off the car. Put it on a smooth surface to make sure it is flat. Not too tough of a job at all. I found the wire better than fishing line and it won't scratch the paint. keep the tension more against the trim and not the door panel.

Dave
Old 03-25-2011, 06:25 AM

Cool, thanks guys. I thought I saw the now non-sticky residue but I just wanted to be sure. Ill go buy some 3M tape.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:17 AM

Personally I used some Permatex Auto Trim Adhesive I found at an auto parts store. It's not tape, it's glue. It worked ok, came loose again after a few months so I put more glue on, it's held up for the past couple of years no problem. I do expect it to come loose again at some point though.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 10pin
95 GLE mouldings coming off. Play the guitar?? Find someone who does and ask for th e string, thinest one called the 6th string. Warm up the moulding a bit with a hair dryer. Grab the wire around both fists and slide it under the moulding. If you can have someone hold the moulding so it doesn't kink. Slide the wire under the trim and it's off. Clean it up to remove residue, clean door and re apply trim with 3M brand trim moulding tape. There were no bolts or clips holding the trim onto the car. There were holes in the door that lined up with small tabs on the trim. When you run the wire just stop at the tab, insert the wire just after it and keep going. If the trim is bent it can be straightened when taken off the car. Put it on a smooth surface to make sure it is flat. Not too tough of a job at all. I found the wire better than fishing line and it won't scratch the paint. keep the tension more against the trim and not the door panel.

Dave
Gotte say you were dead on. Though I went with the fish line. There is def no bolts, just tabs that stick out from the trim into holes in the door, so be careful not to cut those off with the fish line... i actually broke 1 of them. A razor blade came in very handy in removing the glue off the trim pieces once I got them off, and my finger + hairdryer took care of the extra glue on the door (i gave myself a blister though, lol). Anyway job took a little bit of time, but it was easy. I used 3M molding tape I got at the auto parts store, which I actually cut in half because the skinniest tape they had was still too wide.

Last edited by udienow; 04-06-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Just to make sure I am on the same page with this thread, this moulding is the one going around the glass correct? if so, is it easier to remove from inside? Because one of mine has a terrible dent in it and want to get one back and do the job. Reason I haven't touched it is because some people say its difficult to get off. No, I do not have access to a guitar string or a fishing line.. Need more common tools that are laying around the house or nearby store.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Just to make sure I am on the same page with this thread, this moulding is the one going around the glass correct? if so, is it easier to remove from inside? Because one of mine has a terrible dent in it and want to get one back and do the job. Reason I haven't touched it is because some people say its difficult to get off. No, I do not have access to a guitar string or a fishing line.. Need more common tools that are laying around the house or nearby store.
No. The moulding that falls in the middle of the outside door skin.