4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Justaguy
My car also needs a new gasket but besides a little leak of oil, what other benefits will I benefit from replacing the gasket? I'm planning on keeping my car forever. Currently at 270,000 kms.

Thanks
If you go to the effort of replacing the valve covers, you'll also want to replace the PCV valve and probably the intake manifold gasket. And perhaps most important, clean out the EGR tube.

But if you haven't ever done anything like this before, find a friend who has to give you a hand. The upper intake removal is a rather involved and difficult process for a newb.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 AM

the only difficult part of the UIM is the 'hidden bolts' in the rear you gota feel to remove
Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 PM

OP or anyone else who has done this, few questions....

1- Do they sell, like a vacuum hose line kit for this car? I think I have a few hoses cracked or splitting, but I dont know what sizes to get....

2- do you have to drain the coolant since you're dealing with coolant lines?

3- Also, when installing ANY of the gaskets, do you apply RTV on the whole gasket or just the corners? Like a small bead all along the gasket and a mound at the edges?

Im planning on doing this within the next month, any help is much appreciated....
Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

man ive totally been neglecting the vc gaskets i think its time i join in on changing theses
Old 04-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stagnet04
OP or anyone else who has done this, few questions....

1- Do they sell, like a vacuum hose line kit for this car? I think I have a few hoses cracked or splitting, but I dont know what sizes to get....

2- do you have to drain the coolant since you're dealing with coolant lines?

3- Also, when installing ANY of the gaskets, do you apply RTV on the whole gasket or just the corners? Like a small bead all along the gasket and a mound at the edges?

Im planning on doing this within the next month, any help is much appreciated....
1. Not that I'm aware of. Take off a few samples and bring it to Autozone. Buy the same size(s) and replace as needed.

2. No. Very little will spill when disconnecting the coolant line at the back of the UIM.

3. The FSM calls for just the corners.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:50 PM

FSM calls for just the corners but I put some in other spots as well so it doesnt flop out when your trying to put it on and stays in place nicely. Not necessary but helps
Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
1. Not that I'm aware of. Take off a few samples and bring it to Autozone. Buy the same size(s) and replace as needed.

2. No. Very little will spill when disconnecting the coolant line at the back of the UIM.

3. The FSM calls for just the corners.
ok great, good info man.... Thanks....
Old 04-29-2012, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
FSM calls for just the corners but I put some in other spots as well so it doesnt flop out when your trying to put it on and stays in place nicely. Not necessary but helps
Oh ok. Yeah, I think I still might put a few beads here and there just in case too....
Thanks....
Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 AM

One other thing, how hard is it to replace the lower intake manifold gasket? I havent found ANY links on this specifically....
Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stagnet04
One other thing, how hard is it to replace the lower intake manifold gasket? I havent found ANY links on this specifically....
With your plenum already removed to replace the valve cover gasket replacing the LIM gaskets could not be easier. The LIM has 2 gaskets to mount on each bank.

Page EM-10 will give you the simple details on removing the LIM.

Last edited by jholley; 05-02-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Administrator

/\ True, but you forgot the most crucial part. Be extremely careful with the various fuel injector o-rings, note how everything goes, and don't drop them into the LIM. Tape off the LIM to ensure nothing falls down into the engine.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 AM

Valve Cover Gaskets - for my 3rd DSC4

Background

This is my third DSC4 to get a VC gasket job. I have replaced the VC gaskets on the first two DSC4s with mixed success. The first DSC4 VC replacement job was a success. Unfortunately, the 2nd job is now seeping again after about 8,000 miles. Me and my family like to drive DSC4 5-speeds -- so VC gasket replacement goes with the territory.

Hopefully the third time (and 4th) times will be a success. I would like to post a guide from this operation that may be useful for posting in the "how to" section.

Today I have questions for the group before I start down this road again and hopefully some coaching by other members will be greatly appreciated.

Vehicle

1999 Maxima SE 5-speed

Gasket Set

I've been using the Felpro gasket set that is sold by Advance Auto -- part number VS 50494 R that sells for $52.99. I usually get a nice discount at Advance but if I need to using a different brand of gasket it will be worth it to keep from having to do the job over again.

RTV - Permatex Ultra Gray was used in the corners near the timing chain and a small bead was run along the head surface to provide extra protection -- per some forum recommendations.

Bolt Sequence

The recommended torque up sequence from the FSM was used.

Questions

1) Have other members had success or failure with the Felpro gasket set from Advance?

2) Is Permatex Ultra Gray recommended as the RTV sealant?

3) Should RTV be applied on head gasket surface in addition to the corners that require it in the FSM?

4) Any tips from members that have experienced failure on this job?

Plenum Removal

As this point I have figured out a routine and tools for making plenum removal and installation go as quickly as possible. I can make pictures of this job and post a write up for all to enjoy once it is done.

Please post any suggestions and interest in having a "how to" write up available to share any tips for success on the VA replacement job.

Thanks
CS_AR
Old 12-21-2012, 07:26 PM

I think I will add a write-up and parts list while it is fresh in my memory.