4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to Install a Block Heater in your 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:01 PM

How to Install a Block Heater in your 4th gen

Yesterday I installed a block heater in my 96 5sp. I have searched the forums and there are a few threads asking about block heaters, but most people seem to think they are useless. Living in Montana, with days frequently being 20 degrees below 0 or lower, I decided that I didn't want it to take 20 mins for my car to warm up. Some members seemed to think that installing a block heater to aid in cold starting is only a "duct tape" solution to a bigger issue (such as needing a new battery, fuel issues, etc.). While other problems may contribute to cold starting issues, they should show up during normal starting conditions as well. All vehicles have more difficulty starting in cold weather. The oil is much thicker and doesn't lubricate as well, fuel doesn't vaporize as easily, clearances are bigger (thermal shrinking), etc. My car starts just fine all year round, but it is slightly more difficult in the winter. Anyway...here are some pictures and a brief writeup of how to install a block heater for those of you that live in a place cold enough to need/want one.

First you will need to purchase a block heater.

There are several options: 1. Block heater (installs in engine block and keeps radiator fluid warm) 2. Lower radiator hose heater (installs around hose and heats the hose at the bottom of the radiator). 3. Oil pan heater (often a magnetic heater that sticks to the bottom of the oil pan or can be a plug that replaces the oil pan drain plug.) 4. Oil dipstick heater (replaces your stock dipstick with a heating element).

Personally I prefer #1. It is a bit of a pain to install (as you will see in a moment), but it is permanent, out of the way, and heats the most thoroughly in my opinion. I searched for block heaters online, but wasn't able to find any that were maxima specific. I went to my local carquest and asked and they had one on the shelf for $47.70. The part number is XPT 3100007 and is made by Zerostart (package labeled "Engine Heater").

After you buy the block heater you will need: 22mm socket, 24mm socket, 1/2" drive rachet, bucket, and pipe thread tape (to ensure a good seal when installing the block heater).

Drain the radiator fluid into a bucket or something (I drained the radiator and still got wet when removing the plug, so have a bucket ready when you are removing the plug).

Use the 22mm socket to remove the engine freeze plug at the right front of the engine (as viewed from the driver's seat). It is located underneath the header just to the left of the y pipe (driver's view). It was extremely tight when I removed it. It was all I could do to get the first little turn. After that I slowly (normally 1-2 teeth on the rachet) removed it. There is very little room to move with the engine mount and the y pipe in the way. I would highly recommend a 3-4 inch extension (not too long or you will run into the radiator fans), but initially the torque required to break the plug loose may not allow the use of an extension. Here are a few pics of the removal/install.

Removal:

Use the 24mm socket and 3" extension to install the block heater. Once again, it takes a while to tighten it down. Don't forget the pipe thread tape before you start. You don't want to have to remove this b/c it is leaking.
Install:

It is a bit difficult to plug the cord into the block heater after you have it tightened down. I had some trouble. I'd recommend getting a friend with small hands . After plugging it in route the cord so it won't come into contact with the header. Last I checked those get a little warm sometimes . I chose to route it through the front engine mount. There were some holes that were perfect to slip the cord through and hold it in place. Then you can route the cord underneath the radiator and out to the front of the car.

Here are a few pictures of the package the block heater came in just in case you want to double check you're getting the right thing.
Packaging:

Hope this helps! Enjoy easier starting and faster warm ups with your maxima!

Last edited by Decimus Meridias; 02-09-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM

in a reply, click the yellow/gray mountain icon and paste in the pictures link, it will then embed
Old 02-09-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
in a reply, click the yellow/gray mountain icon and paste in the pictures link, it will then embed
Thanks!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the info, thinking of doing it soon now. Got to love that -5 degrees.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by kiecas17
Thanks for the info, thinking of doing it soon now. Got to love that -5 degrees.
Yeah it gets pretty cold up North. I'm currently laughing at all my friends down in Texas who are complaining about it almost freezing.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:21 PM

Nice writeup and pics. Seems like a good idea, although I haven't had starting issues in the past, but certainly couldn't hurt especially after a record setting winter in Southeastern CT this year
Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 AM

I'm curious to know why it's not better to heat the oil pan instead of the radiator fluid.

In very extreme cold weather, isn't the oil that should be heated so it can be quickly lubricated?

thanks for your input.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Justaguy
I'm curious to know why it's not better to heat the oil pan instead of the radiator fluid.

In very extreme cold weather, isn't the oil that should be heated so it can be quickly lubricated?

thanks for your input.
Ideally it would all be kept warm. I decided on the block heater instead of the magnetic oil pan heater b/c it is more permanent (don't have to take it off/put it on or worry about it being scraped off by not having a lot of clearance under our cars). I didn't choose the oil dipstick heater b/c I don't think that heats as well. If the block is warm, then the oil in the block will also be warm. The oil from the pan will then gradually warm up (quicker than it would've otherwise) as it flows through the already warm block when the car is started. Is it the best, no. Is it better than nothing, certainly. Hope this answers your question.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Interesting thread. Must be nice to get heat quickly on a -20 degree morning.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice write-up, I definitely worked on someones 4th or 5th gen that had a block heater on it, and I assumed it was factory installed, wonder what the price is from Nissan on the block heater?
Old 02-10-2011, 03:07 PM

Blah ive owned maximas in MN for years and have never been left stranded in the cold. And has never failed to start.

But it would be nice to have a plug in for those real cold nights here.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Nice write-up, I definitely worked on someones 4th or 5th gen that had a block heater on it, and I assumed it was factory installed, wonder what the price is from Nissan on the block heater?
I thought I read that Maxima's in Canada came with them, but not in the U.S. Don't know for sure. Some did come with them installed from the factory...wish mine had. No idea about pricing other than the $50 aftermarket one I got.

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
Blah ive owned maximas in MN for years and have never been left stranded in the cold. And has never failed to start.

But it would be nice to have a plug in for those real cold nights here.
Mine doesn't have trouble starting either, but it makes it just slightly quicker and much much warmer.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:33 PM

Don't use teflon tape. Its a straight metric thread that seals with a washer. The FSM called for RTV if anything. A straight thread will not benefit from teflon tape anyway, it doesn't get tighter as you go like a pipe plug does.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Conecarver

Good writeup, thanks. Now that I no longer have a garage avail for the Max I'd love the defroster to work sooner.
Last night we hit -15f here
Old 02-10-2011, 06:40 PM

Call me a noob but im confused on how this works. Do you then plug it into an outlet? And if you do, do you do it only when you want to turn on the car or leave it all night? And what happens in the summer?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by maxispeed
Call me a noob but im confused on how this works. Do you then plug it into an outlet? And if you do, do you do it only when you want to turn on the car or leave it all night? And what happens in the summer?

Thanks
Its all good. I'm surprised more people don't know about them, but then again I'm used to living where its cold and just about everyone has them. Yes you do plug it into an outlet. I normally leave it plugged in overnight. Plug it in when I'm done driving for the day and don't forget to unplug when I leave in the morning. A lot of people drag extension cords around with them in the morning lol. During the summer you just hide the ugly cord coming out of the front of the vehicle somewhere out of the way and leave it alone. The block heater will then just be a plug.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:41 PM

Carquest did not have it. I gave him the part # and nothing came up. But I found the same thing on amazon for $37.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:17 PM

Cold weather bump for this thread!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:16 PM

So i bump this thread every year because the mods on the org don't feel this is a good enough writeup to be a sticky in the how tos. Anyway, hope this helps some more max owners stay a bit warmer this winter.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:23 PM

going back to this, a battery blanket is way better than a block heater. that and a oil pan heater

biggest problem in extreme cold is your battery loses alot of cranking power from the cold, if you bring a warm battery from indoors in extreme cold there is no reason for a engine not to start. i had a 1300CCA batter in my Nissan Hardbody, it started in -50c last winter after sitting outside for over 8 hours. battery was in it as well, no battery blanket, block heater, nothing. people with brand new cars were stranded that day, but because of my battery off i went in my 25 year old crappy beater

main point is a battery blanket is better, plugs in like a block heater and keeps the battery warm. oil pain heater is another good idea to get the oil flowing more freely in the cold. you can get magnetic ones that stick to the oilpan but they can fly off on the highway so you have to install and reinstall it constantly. you can get permanent ones installed as well
Old 11-14-2013, 03:18 AM

This really doesn't have anything to do with what you're saying. My car starts just fine sitting outside for days in -20 or colder weather...but my heater warms up much faster with this block heater plugged in. If you want a no hassle permanent heater then this is the way to go. If you have trouble starting, then fix your car, but if it already runs well then this makes it that much easier on your engine.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:44 AM

So am I the only one worried that the wire is too close to the exhaust and will get moved around enough to lay on it and melt?

Whew, run on sentence
Old 11-14-2013, 05:06 AM

Well I've had it like that for at least 3 years and no problems yet. I was a bit worried at first too, but it seems like the wire that came with the heater has a little bit different insulation than most cords. Either way it has held up to the heat quite well.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:34 AM

Easier on the engine mechanics-that's the point

Excellent write-up Decimus. They were routinely used in MN where I grew up simply because it is much easier on the engine doing a warm start up vs being -15 or worse and having to start up. Obviously, the car will start easier also in the cold weather, but that wasn't our prime motivation. The freeze plug type worked great, much like yours except engines didn't have a dedicated, threaded hole in a boss in which to install the heater in. At least that's one improvement they have made. The lower radiator how ones work great also. You need to cut out a section of the hose and the heater inserts into the hose, then hose clamps go on each side of it---very effective, but possibly more subject to slight leaks, and make sure you have a very good radiator how. If i moved to central or eastern Oregon I would definitely use one. Thanks for the write up.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:44 AM

I can see using one if you don't have a heated garage. I'd like to give it a try this winter so I might order it, good info here. plus it gets wicked cold here in NH, and yes I said wicked. haha
Old 11-16-2013, 10:22 AM

Great writeup! I have installed a ton of these heaters as its truly needed here where we regularly see temps in the -40 range. One of the biggest hassles with these is the misinformation on heater fitments so thanks for including part #. To completely winterize for the extreme cold I would add two silicone heat pads using rtv one for oil pan and one for tranny, ensure antifreeze is mixed properly(we do a -60 mix) and a small battery trickle charger.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by arcticracer
Great writeup! I have installed a ton of these heaters as its truly needed here where we regularly see temps in the -40 range. One of the biggest hassles with these is the misinformation on heater fitments so thanks for including part #. To completely winterize for the extreme cold I would add two silicone heat pads using rtv one for oil pan and one for tranny, ensure antifreeze is mixed properly(we do a -60 mix) and a small battery trickle charger.
Damn man, where do you live that it's so cold? how does the max handle in those extreme below freezing temps?