4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replacement Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:46 AM

Replacement Keyless Entry

Excuse me if this has been asked already. I've searched but I have an additional question that is unanswered.

When I got my car, it did not come with the keyless entry fob, just two regular keys (and not the type with the black at the top of them either). It's not really necessary to have keyless entry, but not having it is a bit irksome when I'm trying to get in the car, and its cold, and my hand don't seem to be working. So, I went on eBay to look at some replacements and found some but I'm feeling a little cautious. First thing is, how do I know my car is already equipped with keyless entry? It's from 1995 and has the blinking red security in it. Is that an indication? What if a previous owner had some kind of security system installed it? would that interfere the factory keyless entry?

There are 2 types of fobs on eBay: factory and aftermarket. I don't know which ones to trust.

Factory: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...ht_1236wt_1165

Aftermarket: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-N...ht_1141wt_1165

Are they easy to program? Sorry, my noob is showing!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:08 PM

I think all 95 to 99 maxima's came with a keyless remote and if you were to buy one I would buy the factory remote.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:58 PM

buy the factory remote from eBay. I just got my max on monday and have gotten one from eBay that has worked great...my seller is below:

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/yesremote/
Old 02-05-2011, 04:30 PM

@icuminpeace07 were you able to program it yourself? I think I'm gonna go the factory route.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:59 PM

I would call the second one a Chinese knock-off rather than aftermarket product.
I recommend a remote start aftermarket system rather than just key less entry. Try looking at Viper products.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by 98nismomax
I think all 95 to 99 maxima's came with a keyless remote and if you were to buy one I would buy the factory remote.
That was an optional package so not all of them came with it.

As for the OP question, go with factory. Programming is very easy. I bought one from the dealer which cost $104 so the price you are paying is pretty good.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-Audiovox.html

If you wanted to go aftermarket you can get a keyless/alarm system for very little money...if you do the install yourself. It's pretty easy on a maxima except for the door locks which you have to tag in the door. Viper, Clifford, Audiovox/Prestige, etc. doesn't really matter...they're all mass produced in China. I've installed thousands of alarms over the years. Just don't buy something too cheap. And yeah, if you have an auto, remote start would be nice too.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by StartaFire89
@icuminpeace07 were you able to program it yourself? I think I'm gonna go the factory route.
Yes and it is VERY easy to do:
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/faq.php?cat_id=1
Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Ahh, ok. Looks easy enough to do without crap going haywire. I looked behind the carpeting on the wall in the truck and saw the little keyless entry module (I had saw some pictures of it online), so I think its pretty good to go. Hopefully my car won't get schizo and refuse it. No idea who lost the original, but then again, the lid on the center console was lost within 9 months when my dad was fixing on it. Things just disappear from my car. I did find an old piece of bread under the seat though.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mechanically Challenged....

I have a 98 GE that has the keyless remote and the alarm is active but my keys were stolen and I can't get inside to program the spare remote. How do I deactivate the alarm to get in to set the spare?
Signed,
Mechanically Challenged.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by AJHCA
I have a 98 GE that has the keyless remote and the alarm is active but my keys were stolen and I can't get inside to program the spare remote. How do I deactivate the alarm to get in to set the spare?
Signed,
Mechanically Challenged.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:32 AM

Excuse me if this has been asked already. I've searched but I have an additional question that is unanswered.

When I got my car, it did not come with the keyless entry fob, just two regular keys (and not the type with the black at the top of them either). It's not really necessary to have keyless entry, but not having it is a bit irksome when I'm trying to get in the car, and its cold, and my hand don't seem to be working. So, I went on eBay to look at some replacements and found some but I'm feeling a little cautious. First thing is, how do I know my car is already equipped with keyless entry? It's from 1995 and has the blinking red security in it. Is that an indication? What if a previous owner had some kind of security system installed it? would that interfere the factory keyless entry?

There are 2 types of fobs on eBay: factory and aftermarket. I don't know which ones to trust.

Factory: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...ht_1236wt_1165

Aftermarket: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-N...ht_1141wt_1165

Are they easy to program? Sorry, my noob is showing!
I jus got keyless entry installed for my car.

Basically every max comes with power doors, so that helps with wiring. The base max didtn come with a wireless reciever for the keyless entry. Top line models did. Dont worry about previous alarm system, the car has wiring for it already installed. U jus dont have the alarm hardware anymore.

There is a relay that u splice into on the car and thats about it.

Jus have someone install it for u. dont pay more than 150 bucks for the entire install.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by AJHCA
Signed,
Mechanically Challenged.
Damn man, u need a key to reprogrm. U dont have spare somewhere?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
I jus got keyless entry installed for my car.

Basically every max comes with power doors, so that helps with wiring. The base max didtn come with a wireless reciever for the keyless entry. Top line models did. Dont worry about previous alarm system, the car has wiring for it already installed. U jus dont have the alarm hardware anymore.

There is a relay that u splice into on the car and thats about it.

Jus have someone install it for u. dont pay more than 150 bucks for the entire install.
I think mine is the GLE from what I can tell, since there are no indications of trim level letters on the car.

Wait, what do I have to splice and install? I thought the keyless entry module thing behind the carpet was it.

I just ordered a remote off eBay from the seller that icuminpeace07 suggested. Its already been shipped. I can't wait until it gets here so I can test it and hope it works. Should be here around Friday-Saturday.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:53 PM

I think mine is the GLE from what I can tell, since there are no indications of trim level letters on the car.

Wait, what do I have to splice and install? I thought the keyless entry module thing behind the carpet was it.

I just ordered a remote off eBay from the seller that icuminpeace07 suggested. Its already been shipped. I can't wait until it gets here so I can test it and hope it works. Should be here around Friday-Saturday.
there is a trim indicator. look in the stickies for what the letters mean. but its on a silver tab on the passenger side of the firewall. second row
Old 02-09-2011, 10:23 PM

A little off topic, but I just looked at a '99 Max today that claimed keyless entry on the description (used car lot), but noticed no pager. Would I need a replacement?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:41 AM

The remote came in the mail on Saturday and I installed it right after with no trouble. It was a little difficult to quickly insert the key multiple times, but no big deal. Now, it works and I'm happy.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:27 PM

strangely, my check engine light that was on went off after the program. That has to be a fluke. Maybe it reset it or something, but it seems odd that would've happened. Still waiting to see if it will come back. it's been 3 days now.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:32 AM

The remote came in the mail on Saturday and I installed it right after with no trouble. It was a little difficult to quickly insert the key multiple times, but no big deal. Now, it works and I'm happy.
Not bad man. I wd have installed mine myself too but its damn cold outside lol. Lucky texas bastards with ur warm weather climate. Cant stand you and u So. Cal guys

MAss is freezin lol.

Where was the relay located for wiring and where did u mount reciever. There is a nice spot behind the dash to mount
Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 PM

where did you look to see if it had the factory key less entry?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by foamerdave
Cant really look. jus call nissan and give them yur VIN and let them tell u
Old 02-17-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
That was an optional package so not all of them came with it.

As for the OP question, go with factory. Programming is very easy. I bought one from the dealer which cost $104 so the price you are paying is pretty good.
agreed my 95gxe did not come with security i have a 5 speed i stalled a viper alarm with remote start and a tiny kill switch to turn off the remote start if i ever take it to the shop
Old 02-17-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by foamerdave
Open yout trunk and remove the right side lining where your antenna assembly is. There should be a silver box there. If not, you do not have keyless.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Not bad man. I wd have installed mine myself too but its damn cold outside lol. Lucky texas bastards with ur warm weather climate. Cant stand you and u So. Cal guys

MAss is freezin lol.

Where was the relay located for wiring and where did u mount reciever. There is a nice spot behind the dash to mount
Haha, yea those Texas girls are lucky with the temperate weather! :P

It was already hooked up. I just had to program the remote for the system to recognize it.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Problem

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Open yout trunk and remove the right side lining where your antenna assembly is. There should be a silver box there. If not, you do not have keyless.

i have the factory remote and it works sometimes. i changed the battery and it still works when it wants to. i dont know if its the remote itself or the receiver and i dont want to buy a remote and the receiver is the problem. has anyone ever had this problem before?
any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Sorry for the thread jack.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:56 PM

dont buy none factory nissan keyless
Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 AM

sorry to hijack thread as i am a noob here and have searched this question but found nothing relevant to it. So recently when i unlock the doors on my car (98 SE) using the factory fob remote i do not see the parking lights or indicator lights blink, but just the interior dome light comes on. Anyone know if this is common for maxis? or is it a malfunction? because before this happened i can unlock and the parking lights would blink once notifying that the car is unlock? and when i lock it the lights would blink twice or so.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 AM

I originally had two remotes, but dropped one in the water, and lost the other one. My key is one that has a chip internally that can only be programmed by the dealer. If I buy a replacement remote, and reprogram it, do I run the risk of messing with the code on my key?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by icuminpeace07
buy the factory remote from eBay. I just got my max on monday and have gotten one from eBay that has worked great...my seller is below:

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/yesremote/

Hey thanks for that link. Just ordered me a used one for $22.95 shipped!