4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2.25 or 2.5 exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by maxispeed
@aackshun, what is a USIM?
USIM = US Intake Manifold
It's the stock intake manifold that comes on our cars in the US.

As to your other questions, give more specifics about what you want.
For instance, I wanted performance, and I nice, loud tone, so I went with a Magnaflow straight-through muffler. But if you are wanting a quiet tone, go with the stock muffler.
Try to give us more of an idea what you expect and we can help you out a little better.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by sparks03max
When it comes to the GM LS series engines, I highly doubt it took them much deliberation to decide that a single 3" will make more power for them than a single 2.5" (the debate i'd find more likely is 3" vs 3.5"). Now when it comes to duals, it may be the case that on the more mild builds a dual 2.5" would turn out better than a dual 3", but in either case there is no reason to compare their results with ours aside from general concepts as there are many factors involved.
The point I'm making is not to compare their results to ours. The debate is whether there are gains from going from 2.5 to 3". I've scoured over some threads over the years and found that thru those who have done the dynos, didn't find any gains with their engines.

But like I said earlier, better for the Maxima community if us old timers were wrong about what we believed.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:41 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

And I appreciate everybodys input on this topic, it has helped me alot. I believe I will go with the 3" exhaust. Now comes the next question, what kind of muffler should I get because I'll be damned if I drive around ricing it up.

And as for headers, y pipe, and intake. should the intake be 2.5 and the rest be 3? or 2.5 everything except the catback? I have read somethings on here about guys haveing a large intake and it robbing them of power.

And while we are talking about 00VI and MEVI, is it a huge deal to do the swap or should I just save the money?
00VI or MEVI would constitute huge top end gains. Worth it if you want straight line acceleration to be better.

Originally Posted by deezo
The point I'm making is not to compare their results to ours. The debate is whether there are gains from going from 2.5 to 3". I've scoured over some threads over the years and found that thru those who have done the dynos, didn't find any gains with their engines.

But like I said earlier, better for the Maxima community if us old timers were wrong about what we believed.
Well the proof is out there for the 3.5 community, and the gains are considerable. I think the 3.0 will need more mods to see gains from a 3", but that they will see them.

The general rule that I've seen on other forums when I had other cars in the past was a 3" pipe worth of cross sectional area for every 300bhp (this does not mean 2.5" for 250, 2" for 200, cross sectional area is not synonymous with diameter). It seems to ring true here so far.

Last edited by sparks03max; 02-06-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:05 PM

The main reason to get a VI is to release the top end of your 3.0 motor, if you are like the majority of maxima owners you will spend very little time above 5k enjoying that extra power (which is why I have not done it yet).

Anyways the base of my 3" hypothesis is the mere fact that I have not seen an untuned VQ30(DE or DE-K) dyno above 200 ft/lbs.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Anyways the base of my 3" hypothesis is the mere fact that I have not seen an untuned VQ30(DE or DE-K) dyno above 200 ft/lbs.
PRESENT!

lol, but i'm 2.5 with crush bends and a cheap-*** muffler,

alright OP, here's what you do:

- if you're staying stock - aftermarket y-pipe (equal length if you got the money), 2.25 catback

- mild performance (low boost or want more out of the N/A 3.0) - aftermarket y-pipe (equal length if you got the money), 2.5 catback, high flow cat (if you got the money)

- all out N/A or high boost - headers, equal length y-pipe (or "feed pipe" for turbo), high flow cat, 3" catback

and as always, mandrel bends are preferred

**this is just "IMO" and strictly performance oriented. different parameters need to be taken into account regarding sound**
Old 02-06-2011, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by ctsnyper
USIM = US Intake Manifold
It's the stock intake manifold that comes on our cars in the US.

As to your other questions, give more specifics about what you want.
For instance, I wanted performance, and I nice, loud tone, so I went with a Magnaflow straight-through muffler. But if you are wanting a quiet tone, go with the stock muffler.
Try to give us more of an idea what you expect and we can help you out a little better.

Well, I want performance (obviously lol). And a nice growl, none of that ricey raspy $#!t. For instance, if I'm in neutral and i give the gas a little push I growl and in idle a low humm can be heard. let me know if any of that makes sence.

And just a random question, but are canadian cars right hand drive? Cuz someone said my car was canadian but I think they are full of it.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:34 AM

Performance + Sound? I did not hear a mentioning of a budget here, so if one wants the best of both worlds, cattman 3" all the way (catback wise).

If you're under a budget, have a locally reccomended shop do it, it'll save you a little bit (but not that much though), what you would want is a good muffler (not something cheap) and a resonator over 20", with a combination of those two you'd get the best out of catback, if you still don't like the sound then work further upstream (cat wise, headers, etc.)
Old 02-07-2011, 01:44 PM

Performance + Sound? I did not hear a mentioning of a budget here, so if one wants the best of both worlds, cattman 3" all the way (catback wise).

If you're under a budget, have a locally reccomended shop do it, it'll save you a little bit (but not that much though), what you would want is a good muffler (not something cheap) and a resonator over 20", with a combination of those two you'd get the best out of catback, if you still don't like the sound then work further upstream (cat wise, headers, etc.)
how dare you correct me! lol yes, but by that token, it'd be less expensive to buy a cheap ebay catback of the size you want and replace the muffler with a quality unit. doesn't seem to be the preferred method on this forum though. starting with higher quality such as cattman will be more up front but likely balnce out in the long run.

otherwise good point,
Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 PM

As of right now the budget is undetermined because I should be getting a second job, and with taxes coming I hoping for a good return. If I don't get a second job then 400-500 is the budget, with a second job 700-800. And does anyone know how exhaust shops bend their pipes?

And also as of right now, I dont have a catalyic and the muffler is aftermarket (no idea the company, bought the car with this stuff on it)
Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by VisciousMo
What about a ebay 3inch vs cattman 2.5 inch aackshun. Or the megan 3 inch, I know a local N/A with one
link to either 3 inch?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:38 PM

As of right now the budget is undetermined because I should be getting a second job, and with taxes coming I hoping for a good return. If I don't get a second job then 400-500 is the budget, with a second job 700-800. And does anyone know how exhaust shops bend their pipes?

And also as of right now, I dont have a catalyic and the muffler is aftermarket (no idea the company, bought the car with this stuff on it)
shops crush bend typically. this is the point where you need to start doing your own footwork, sorry bud. call shops, go online, etc for pricing and what they can do for you. same goes for ready made stuff like cattman and others.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:23 PM

If you want to spend that much on a catback, just get the cattman.

The only way I would say other wise is if you can have a 3" made for under $500, then I could see the few hundred $ of savings worth not having such an easy to bolt on system.

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
link to either 3 inch?
Yes please, AFAIK, Cattman is the first and only manufacturer of 3" catbacks for Maximas
Old 02-07-2011, 11:39 PM

Yes please, AFAIK, Cattman is the first and only manufacturer of 3" catbacks for Maximas
buy me a welder and i'll be the second,
Old 02-08-2011, 08:48 PM

I was looking online and found these. I figured if I measured out my exhaust and ordered what I needed, it might be more afforadable. What do you guys think?
http://store.airflo.com/exhaust-tubing.html
http://www.bassani.com/universal/tubing/
http://www.jcwhitney.com/mandrel-ben.../p2006247.jcwx

And does anyone know if I brought in a tube for an exhaust shop to bend, would they? cuz I found a site that sells straight piping
http://www.nextag.com/BORLA-30330-Tu...21/prices-html

Last edited by maxispeed; 02-08-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:26 PM

it can be a time consuming direction.

lol, over $700 for a cattman 3" catback. lots of hp?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
buy me a welder and i'll be the second,
Still waiting on that UIM of yours...

I was looking online and found these. I figured if I measured out my exhaust and ordered what I needed, it might be more afforadable. What do you guys think?
Just take it to a locally recommended exhaust shop and see what they quote, what I say could be totally off in your situation.

Originally Posted by kel456
lol, over $700 for a cattman 3" catback. lots of hp?
At the HP/$ figures, it's probably one of the worst mods, but if you're looking for every ounce of performance out of your bolt ons, then it's a no brainer.

Last edited by aackshun; 02-08-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Wow lots of opinions on the subject. Well lets think about the diameters like this. Try blowing out of a straw and then out of a paper towel roll. You will notice the air leaving the straw is moving at a faster velocity than the air leaving the paper towel roll.

Now when we apply these examples to the diameters of a car exhaust system they both remain true, in the sense that a 2.25 inch pipe will have the exhaust gases leaving the engine at a faster rate then a 2.5 inch. These faster moving gases actually promotes "scavenging", or basically draws air out of the engine more efficiently, and depending on valve timing draws intake air into the cylinders. This will give you good mid range torque while retaining a very good low and top end performance.

A larger diameter pipe will allow a greater volume of gas to exit the engine, although it will be moving slower if the engine is naturally aspirated. If the engine is turbocharged, or supercharged having a bigger diameter pipe is better. This is due to the fact that what ever method of boost you are using, a higher volume of air is being put into the engine, and thus this air must be evacuated as easily as possible. Turbo engines especially don't need to have back pressure behind the turbine, as this will lead to slow spool time.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 PM

trini, you are mostly correct. but... lol...

hook an air pump up to to the straw and the paper towel roll. i know it seems like overkill but here's why
1) the straw, while promoting increased velocity will at some point
begin to restrict flow as most engines don't operate at any single
speed.
2) by the same token the paper towel roll will allow increased flow but reduce velocity which will inhibit scavenging

the key here is to balance the two, find that compromise that works best for each engine.

like i said before:
*- 2.25" for stock replacement
*- 2.5" for performance
*- 3" for HIGH performance

Last edited by mightyMax95; 02-09-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 PM

My Z and my old Integra were both boosted and I always went with a .5" larger diameter pipe when I installed the turbo's. I did 2.5" on the Acura and 3" on the 300z, but I would absolutely go with the larger diameter if you plan to boost, even if a little later
Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 PM

How bout intake size? Ive heard of guys having a larger intake size and noticing HP loss. Is intake the opposite of exhaust? Meaning would going from small (intake) to large (exhaust) be the best choice?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 PM

More air = more fuel, you can increase the size of your intake, but you can only make it so big before a piggy back is necessary because more than likely you'll be outside of the stock parameters for fuel adjustment.

I know my car is running rich so I can afford to lean it out a little, which is why I'm secretly searching for some intake mods...
Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 PM

you should leave your stock air intake as is and don't get into the K&N stuff or alike. change it if you plan to have a turbo and get a dry filter.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 PM

you should leave your stock air intake as is and don't get into the K&N stuff or alike. change it if you plan to have a turbo and get a dry filter.
I wish I did have the stock intake. The kid I bought it from had a SRI on it so I've been thinking about putting in a CAI. I might just keep the diameter it is now.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 PM

don't buy a CAI. you still have the air buffer so just look for the stock box. it shouldn't be much $$. stick with the regular paper drop-in filter for less than 10 bucks ea. don't buy K&N drop-in.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:22 AM

More air = more fuel, you can increase the size of your intake, but you can only make it so big before a piggy back is necessary because more than likely you'll be outside of the stock parameters for fuel adjustment.

I know my car is running rich so I can afford to lean it out a little, which is why I'm secretly searching for some intake mods...
tune by tape?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:58 AM

don't buy a CAI. you still have the air buffer so just look for the stock box. it shouldn't be much $$. stick with the regular paper drop-in filter for less than 10 bucks ea. don't buy K&N drop-in.
is the paper one better?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:09 PM

Recharing K&N and alike products is the problem not when it is brand new.

New K&N and alike products are better than new regular paper products.
Recharged K&N and alike products are worst than new regular paper products.

Over oiled filter can damage the MAF. Even if it is perfectly reoiled there is trapped dust in the filter that can not be cleaned off.
Foam filter will have small foam partial coming off with trapped dust off the foam over time and will go into the engine.
Performance paper filter can not fully clean off the trapped dust.
Aftermarket filters will run around 40 bucks.

Minimize car problems and enjoy your ride. Stock air intake is a well balanced intake. With aftermarket intakes, noise can be an issue when taking frequent long trips.

Don’t buy a SS bpip and cut off the rear to replace with an OE and add a resonator.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Don’t buy a SS bpip and cut off the rear to replace with an OE and add a resonator.
Are you referring to the intake still?

Update on prices

Cheapest I found for stock pipe with resinator was $150. 3in $190 but I talked to a buddy of mine and he said his guy can do the stock for $50!! The 3in I have to take the car in for him to see how he is going to bend it and I'll get the price then. Ill keep you guys updated

Last edited by maxispeed; 02-12-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:49 PM

i meant the catback instead of the bpipe. ws ypipe is good for the money not because it is from ws. it's because it is the cheapest out there. stick with oe direct fit with the rest. a complete set should be ~500. this setup should be good for at least 10 yrs. just be prepare if taking the aftermarket exhaust direction. good luck buddy.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Because you don't recall a 3" vs 2.5" NA dyno on the org doesn't mean it didn't happen. I can direct you to the threads pertaining to said dyno done by merlyn on a I/H/E untuned 3.5 of an aftermarket 2.5" vs a 3".
http://forums.maxima.org/dyno-discus...ft-lbs-10.html
http://forums.maxima.org/6241702-post29.html
http://forums.maxima.org/6249980-post34.html

Also, I gained roughly 1.5 MPH and .15 1/10ths in the 1/8th mile going from a 2.5" to a 3" setup. (best ET and trap from 8.42 and 84.10 to 8.24 and 85.42 at the same track with a worse DA on the faster runs and nearly identical '60 foots)

Now with that evidence shown, there has not been any dyno proof that I know of that the 3.0 will also see such gains. However, I do believe a full bolton and tuned 3.0 (especially with mevi or 00vi) would potentially see benefits.

When it comes to the GM LS series engines, I highly doubt it took them much deliberation to decide that a single 3" will make more power for them than a single 2.5" (the debate i'd find more likely is 3" vs 3.5"). Now when it comes to duals, it may be the case that on the more mild builds a dual 2.5" would turn out better than a dual 3", but in either case there is no reason to compare their results with ours aside from general concepts as there are many factors involved.
....I thought the samething b4 I bought and installed a 3" Cattman on my 2003 A/T.....that the 3" was gonna be too extreme in size....and i was gonna lose all my throttle response on the low side!!!! Well I was and still am stoked about how this exhaust awakens the beast in this engine....for instance rolling into the throttle (not flooring it) from a stand still will usually break my 245/40/18 tires loose just b4 the 1-2 gear shift!!!! It never did that with my 2.5" Cattman by just rolling into the throttle,..... It had to be floored!!!!!!!

And I appreciate everybodys input on this topic, it has helped me alot. I believe I will go with the 3" exhaust. Now comes the next question, what kind of muffler should I get because I'll be damned if I drive around ricing it up.

And as for headers, y pipe, and intake. should the intake be 2.5 and the rest be 3? or 2.5 everything except the catback? I have read somethings on here about guys haveing a large intake and it robbing them of power.

And while we are talking about 00VI and MEVI, is it a huge deal to do the swap or should I just save the money?
The Cattman 3" for the 4th Gen's is really pretty freaking quiet due to the single tip outlet....going with a larger TB would benefit yall quite alot!!!!!

If you want to spend that much on a catback, just get the cattman.

The only way I would say other wise is if you can have a 3" made for under $500, then I could see the few hundred $ of savings worth not having such an easy to bolt on system.

Under $500 for a 1 piece aluminized 3" w/no flanges except @ the cat! A locally built unit of the same quality as Cattman, constructed w/SS and flanges will cost you approx $1000+....

http://store.airflo.com/exhaust-tubing.html
http://www.bassani.com/universal/tubing/
http://www.jcwhitney.com/mandrel-ben.../p2006247.jcwx

And does anyone know if I brought in a tube for an exhaust shop to bend, would they? cuz I found a site that sells straight piping
http://www.nextag.com/BORLA-30330-Tu...21/prices-html
Sure they'll do that....here's a more affordable site: Mandrelbentsolutions.com

Originally Posted by trini_max21
Wow lots of opinions on the subject. Well lets think about the diameters like this. Try blowing out of a straw and then out of a paper towel roll. You will notice the air leaving the straw is moving at a faster velocity than the air leaving the paper towel roll.

Now when we apply these examples to the diameters of a car exhaust system they both remain true, in the sense that a 2.25 inch pipe will have the exhaust gases leaving the engine at a faster rate then a 2.5 inch. These faster moving gases actually promotes "scavenging", or basically draws air out of the engine more efficiently, and depending on valve timing draws intake air into the cylinders. This will give you good mid range torque while retaining a very good low and top end performance.

A larger diameter pipe will allow a greater volume of gas to exit the engine, although it will be moving slower if the engine is naturally aspirated. If the engine is turbocharged, or supercharged having a bigger diameter pipe is better. This is due to the fact that what ever method of boost you are using, a higher volume of air is being put into the engine, and thus this air must be evacuated as easily as possible. Turbo engines especially don't need to have back pressure behind the turbine, as this will lead to slow spool time.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.
I would say you're correct, but the rule of thumb is overstepped in this situation, the 3" really pulls harder especially past 3K in every gear!!!!!

How bout intake size? Ive heard of guys having a larger intake size and noticing HP loss. Is intake the opposite of exhaust? Meaning would going from small (intake) to large (exhaust) be the best choice?
Pathfinder TB
Are you referring to the intake still?

Update on prices

Cheapest I found for stock pipe with resinator was $150. 3in $190 but I talked to a buddy of mine and he said his guy can do the stock for $50!! The 3in I have to take the car in for him to see how he is going to bend it and I'll get the price then. Ill keep you guys updated
That is crush bent of course......but still somewhat effective if bent with larger than pipe dies/shoes....I had a 2.25" T409 SS one piece header back fab'd up about 9 yrs ago and with a 14" long, 6" round Magnaflow muffler and it cost me $500 for my little Hardbody.....GL....take some pics please!!!! Hope you get one as pretty as Cattman......

Last edited by CMax03; 02-14-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:19 PM

Honestly if u go by all the manufacturer claims of increased HP...Aack's car jus about matches up. Hell, the exhaust mods alone should yield additional 20whp.

And i thought this thread was about 2.25" vs 2.5"
Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
trini, you are mostly correct. but... lol...

hook an air pump up to to the straw and the paper towel roll. i know it seems like overkill but here's why
1) the straw, while promoting increased velocity will at some point
begin to restrict flow as most engines don't operate at any single
speed.
2) by the same token the paper towel roll will allow increased flow but reduce velocity which will inhibit scavenging

the key here is to balance the two, find that compromise that works best for each engine.

like i said before:
*- 2.25" for stock replacement
*- 2.5" for performance
*- 3" for HIGH performance

I endorse this statement.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
[/b]

I endorse this statement.
I don't!!!!!
Stock repalcement for all Maxima models 2nd thru 5th are 2" daimeter exhaust tubing not 2.25"!!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

IIRC, Kevlo proved that the 4th gen was actually larger in dia. than the 5 gen.

Either way, it's a moot point, and has been proven time and time again, regardless of the numerous backpressure statements, 3" if heavily bolted + electronically enhanced or obviously atmospherically enhanced.

Modding is a bug, and with each one comes another, I would toss a 3" on my old A32 if I still was modding it.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Honestly if u go by all the manufacturer claims of increased HP...Aack's car jus about matches up. Hell, the exhaust mods alone should yield additional 20whp.

And i thought this thread was about 2.25" vs 2.5"
It was lol. But someone brought up the point of a three inch pipe so it became 2.5 vs 3
Old 02-17-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Stock repalcement for all Maxima models 2nd thru 5th are 2" daimeter exhaust tubing not 2.25"!!!!
I know. but 2.25" is so close to stock might as well call it stock replacement
Old 02-17-2011, 03:09 PM

I know. but 2.25" is so close to stock might as well call it stock replacement
Yeah.....that's the size Pacesetter uses for the 4th Gen Catback (2.25")!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:59 PM

Its hard to find 3" inlet mufflers with out paying a high price, so I went to ebay and found these. What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Inl...item35affd69dd

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Uni...item3f07481c61

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-IN-...item5d2d73d5d6
Old 02-17-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Yeah.....that's the size Pacesetter uses for the 4th Gen Catback (2.25")!
the point is you can probably find a stock replacement for the 4th gen easier/cheaper/quicker in 2.25 than 2.0 and the size difference is so negligible that no concern in regards to tune need be addressed.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

04 exhaust

Have a hole in my exhaust and am going to need to get it repair/replaced. Any1 recommend a good exhaust system? Id rather put alittle extra $ and increase performance than just repair it with factory exhaust

Quick Reply: 2.25 or 2.5 exhaust?