4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

3rd gear scrapes/grinds when shifting!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:23 PM

3rd gear scrapes/grinds when shifting!!! HELP!!!

I have a 98 Maxima 5 speed. Sometimes, "NOT EVERYTIME", when I shift into 3rd gear it feels like a scraping/grinding sound, I feel it in my shift ****. I noticed this problem last night and its been happening a little bit more frequently now. For example, today I drove the car and shifting into 3rd was not a problem, no grinding/scraping or nothing but, after 15 min. of driving it WOULD scrape/grind when going into 3rd. Do you guys think it's friction wear in the gears, low gear oil, shift linkage, or is it my shifting???
Old 01-28-2011, 10:45 PM

You would have to give us more information. No point in us throwing out guesses is there? Not really sure why everyone seems to want guesses on this forum (or feel the need to give theirs).

What happens:
If you match the engine and shift?
Is the problem variable based on RPM, speed, or which gears you are shifting from or to?
Have you checked the fluid level in your clutch reservoir?
Has the pedal's shift point shifted or gotten softer?
When was the last time you properly serviced the transmission assembly?
Is there feedback/push-back or just the scrape/grind sound.
How consistent are these problems? Is it always 15min after you start driving? Can you reliably replicate the issue?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by adroitcaptor
You would have to give us more information. No point in us throwing out guesses is there? Not really sure why everyone seems to want guesses on this forum (or feel the need to give theirs).

What happens:
Is the problem variable based on RPM, speed, or which gears you are shifting from or to?
How consistent are these problems? Is it always 15min after you start driving? Can you reliably replicate the issue?
Your right, I see what your talking about. Lets see....Here are my Answers to all of your questions.
ANS: Yes
ANS: Both RPM and speed after driving 15-20 min. From 2nd to 3rd.
ANS: Yes, clutch fluid resevoir is at proper level.
ANS: No.
ANS: I did a 5 speed swap, I bought the tranny from a guy who had a wrecked 97 5 speed Maxima and he said the tranny was in good working order with no problems. I only had the tranny for little over a month now since I did the swap.
ANS: Sometimes @ high RPM when I shift into 3rd gear, its like I hit a wall! I will have to go into neutral and get back into 3rd gear. If Im not hitting a wall its a scrape/grind sound but again, thats after driving 15-20 min.
ANS: Sometimes. More frequently since the other night after driving 15-20 min. After driving 15-20 min. it pretty much scrapes almost everytime when I shift into 3rd gear.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 AM

Anyone???
Old 01-29-2011, 11:41 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Sounds like classic worn/going out synchros to me. 3rd gear synchros are common to be the first to wear out. Not sure what you want anybody to tell you..

Even with worn synchros, you should be able to do a slight rev-match into the 3rd gear shift to extend the tranny life a bit
Old 01-29-2011, 12:29 PM

3rd gear synchro is worn. What gear oil are you running? GL-5 is known to kill synchros.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
3rd gear synchro is worn. What gear oil are you running? GL-5 is known to kill synchros.
I'm running Napa Gear Oil. Its GL-3, GL-4, and GL-5 rated

Last edited by mpvibes; 01-29-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:08 PM

at least yours moves my clutch went i put the new one in drove about 30 feet and my tranny made a loud boom stalls in every gear but drives in neutral mind you the trannys only a month old
Old 01-30-2011, 02:17 AM

+1 on synchro
Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by andrewbrochill
at least yours moves my clutch went i put the new one in drove about 30 feet and my tranny made a loud boom stalls in every gear but drives in neutral mind you the trannys only a month old
Damn, thats tough man, I know u were fire hot! How many miles were on the tranny?
Old 01-30-2011, 08:44 AM

I'm hoping I can save my tranny. Would it make sense to dump the Napa Gear oil and put in complete GL-4 gear oil? Or is it too late? Anybody???
Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by mpvibes
I'm hoping I can save my tranny. Would it make sense to dump the Napa Gear oil and put in complete GL-4 gear oil? Or is it too late? Anybody???
Dump the 3/4/5 that crap does not work in the 4th gen max, no matter what some parts jockley tells you. Read the thread I posted below. ask for it by part #. If you ask for GL4 the jackhole behind the counter will scratch his head or tell you it doesnt exist. the Red line stuff works well too, If you want to pay for it.

You may get your smooth shifts back, I did.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...gl-4-dino.html
Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 AM

Dump the 3/4/5 that crap does not work in the 4th gen max, no matter what some parts jockley tells you. Read the thread I posted below. ask for it by part #. If you ask for GL4 the jackhole behind the counter will scratch his head or tell you it doesnt exist. the Red line stuff works well too, If you want to pay for it.

You may get your smooth shifts back, I did.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...gl-4-dino.html
Ok, thx man I will get GL-4 only. I thought it was ok since the bottle had GL-4 in their.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:42 PM

I checked the gear oil in the tranny by putting a thin long stick (tree branch) in the speed sensor hole, it turned out I was running low on gear oil. I added some Napa gear oil that I had (about 1/2 qt.) to the tranny, I will be adding another quart tomorrow because it needs some more (NAPA was closed). I drove it for awhile and NO scrape/grind in 3rd gear. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:14 AM

I checked the gear oil in the tranny by putting a thin long stick (tree branch) in the speed sensor hole, it turned out I was running low on gear oil. I added some Napa gear oil that I had (about 1/2 qt.) to the tranny, I will be adding another quart tomorrow because it needs some more (NAPA was closed). I drove it for awhile and NO scrape/grind in 3rd gear. I will keep you guys posted.
Sounds good. Replace it with GL-4 when u can anyway. Itll be much smoother than the 3/4/5.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by andrewbrochill
You are stuck in a gear. when in neutral you are in one gear. when the shifter is moved into a gear location you trans is in two gears. When in two gears at the same time the car will not move and the engine will stall when u lift the clutch pedal.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:37 AM

Sounds good. Replace it with GL-4 when u can anyway. Itll be much smoother than the 3/4/5.
Will do, thx.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:00 AM

GL-4 only.

If u got the cash then hit up a valvoline instant oil change. They got synthetic GL-4. That shyt got my tranny shift smooth. Over a yr now.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM

well this answers a question about the tranny in my integra. HA!

I never knew that if you used 3/4/5 napa oil in a maxi tranny, that it would be such BS..

thats odd.. I learned something new today.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:58 PM

Question, to drain the gear oil from the tranny, do I have to unscrew the fill plug first then unscrew the drain plug? Or can I just unscrew the drain plug and dump the GL-4 gear oil in the speed sensor hole?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:14 PM

Anyone???
Old 02-01-2011, 05:06 AM

Do not use the sensor plugggg!!! there is a separate drain by the shifter linkage look it up in the fsm it will show you where its located. The problem with using the sensor to drain is that it can cause the spring loaded conection piece to the sensor plug to fall out. which you wont notice. It will throw a code and cause your reverse lights to not work. Drain the old fluid and use royal purple. trust me ive tried everything else royal purple has a much smoother feel to it and has better protection. Its like 17 bucks a quart at autozone and you will need 5 quarts. i know its expensive but it still beats replacing a tranny.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:07 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Question, to drain the gear oil from the tranny, do I have to unscrew the fill plug first then unscrew the drain plug? Or can I just unscrew the drain plug and dump the GL-4 gear oil in the speed sensor hole?
I would unscrew the fill plug first. It will drain much easier. The drain plug is the best location to drain the transmission fluid. I would choose to drain here if at all possible. However, these older 4th gens usually have drain plugs that are pretty torn up and, unless you have the time and patience to figure a way to remove and replace with a new one, many opt to use the sensor as a drain location. A word of caution: The sensor is made of plastic, plastic ages, you must be very cautious when removing it. Even so, breaking the sensor happens. Your car will be out of commission for a day or two waiting for the new one from SouthPoint (DaveB) to come in. It's about 30 bucks. Also, make sure the sensor is flush when reinstalling otherwise you're going to snap the fastening tab when you tighten the bolt. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 AM

No, you guys misunderstood me. I use the speed sensor hole to put the new GL-4 gear oil inside the tranny, not to drain it. I know the drain plug is next to the shift linkage and I don't want to break the fill hole bolt(the one where you use a 1/2" ratchet) because i tried using a breaker bar and it didn't even wanna budge. So I'm not fooling with it! TRUST ME, I'M VERY CAREFUL WITH THAT SPEED SENSOR!!! My question is, can I use the drain plug (next to the shift linkage) to drain the gear oil and use the speed sensor hole to fill the tranny with gear oil?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Maximum-Maxima
Do not use the sensor plugggg!!! there is a separate drain by the shifter linkage look it up in the fsm it will show you where its located. The problem with using the sensor to drain is that it can cause the spring loaded conection piece to the sensor plug to fall out. which you wont notice. It will throw a code and cause your reverse lights to not work. Drain the old fluid and use royal purple. trust me ive tried everything else royal purple has a much smoother feel to it and has better protection. Its like 17 bucks a quart at autozone and you will need 5 quarts. i know its expensive but it still beats replacing a tranny.
$17 bucks a quart?!!! Thx but, Hell to the NO!!!! I will stick with Napa, they sell a gallon (4qts) of pure GL-4 gear oil for $26 bucks.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:03 PM

No, you guys misunderstood me. I use the speed sensor hole to put the new GL-4 gear oil inside the tranny, not to drain it. I know the drain plug is next to the shift linkage and I don't want to break the fill hole bolt(the one where you use a 1/2" ratchet) because i tried using a breaker bar and it didn't even wanna budge. So I'm not fooling with it! TRUST ME, I'M VERY CAREFUL WITH THAT SPEED SENSOR!!! My question is, can I use the drain plug (next to the shift linkage) to drain the gear oil and use the speed sensor hole to fill the tranny with gear oil?
I wouldnt. your not gonna break the fill plug, just make sure the breaker bar is all the way in the plug and wrench hard.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:02 PM

Bumpin this one... I dunno if his issue was resolved but I got 2-3 crunch under hard acceleration. If I try to get into 3rd above 4k rpm clutch fully in it'll crunch otherwise all good. Downshift is all good, I rev match almost all the time.

the tranny had been resealed with new bearings and axles put in 2 years ago, warranty was only for 1 year, could i have low gear oil? I really hope its not the gear
Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
Bumpin this one... I dunno if his issue was resolved but I got 2-3 crunch under hard acceleration. If I try to get into 3rd above 4k rpm clutch fully in it'll crunch otherwise all good. Downshift is all good, I rev match almost all the time.

the tranny had been resealed with new bearings and axles put in 2 years ago, warranty was only for 1 year, could i have low gear oil? I really hope its not the gear
Sounds like the synchro could be bad. Do you run gl-4 or gl-5?

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 06-07-2013, 05:47 PM

I'm not sure of the oil put in but should switch it anyway... I talked to a friend who will be willing to help me open it up and look.

Figured synchro but was bein a lil hopeful lol
Old 06-07-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
I'm not sure of the oil put in but should switch it anyway... I talked to a friend who will be willing to help me open it up and look.

Figured synchro but was bein a lil hopeful lol
Change out the mystery oil for GL4, Pennzoil syncromesh, or redline MT90.
Amzoil has one but I do not know the name. Oriely has Master Pro GL4 140 I am running it with good results. Shifting is stiff in the morning though.