4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

turn signals hazards nothing working.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:13 PM

turn signals hazards nothing working.

I am suddenly running into this issue that the hazards/turn signals not working. I can activate the lock remote to unlock/lock the car functions with the lights when you hit the lock button. If I am to use the turn signals and the hazards the car won't do anything,unless i am locking the remote or unlocking than the hazards and turn signals are working. I am believing that the remote is interfering with the functions. I have tested the turn stalk and the hazard buttons they are working. The combination flasher unit is clicking and that connects to the hazard button. I have checked out the fuses and I am suspecting the combination unit. I am wondering is there anything else that I am missing.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:08 PM

The flasher unit could be the problem. You say you can hear it, but maybe the power is not getting out due to a broken connection internally. If the fuses were bad, you wouldn't hear the flasher unit.

The flow of power for the turn signals is the battery, fuse # H, ignition switch, fuse # 14, hazard switch, flasher unit, turn signal switch, left or right light bulbs (front, rear, dash).

The flow of power for the hazard flasher is battery, fuse # 11, hazard switch, flasher unit, left and right light bulbs (front, rear, dash).

When you say combination unit, are you referring to the instrument gauge cluster? That is not in the circuit other than the bulbs for the green arrows.

The only thing in common for hazard lamps and turn signals are the hazard switch and the flasher unit. The remote for locking and unlocking the doors is completely separate from this, it taps into the wires to flash the lights.

Find the flasher unit and check voltages. 12 volts from the hazard switch comes in on the green wire. Flashing 12 volts leaves on the light green/black stripe wire.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The flasher unit could be the problem. You say you can hear it, but maybe the power is not getting out due to a broken connection internally. If the fuses were bad, you wouldn't hear the flasher unit.

The flow of power for the turn signals is the battery, fuse # H, ignition switch, fuse # 14, hazard switch, flasher unit, turn signal switch, left or right light bulbs (front, rear, dash).

The flow of power for the hazard flasher is battery, fuse # 11, hazard switch, flasher unit, left and right light bulbs (front, rear, dash).

When you say combination unit, are you referring to the instrument gauge cluster? That is not in the circuit other than the bulbs for the green arrows.

The only thing in common for hazard lamps and turn signals are the hazard switch and the flasher unit. The remote for locking and unlocking the doors is completely separate from this, it taps into the wires to flash the lights.

Find the flasher unit and check voltages. 12 volts from the hazard switch comes in on the green wire. Flashing 12 volts leaves on the light green/black stripe wire.
ok, thanks for the help, I did check out all of the fuses under the panel and the Fsm told me to check out the flasher unit and that's correct it's clicking and it works. I am hear looking on the courtesy website and the flasher unit has to parts to it. The part number is 25730xa I will have to check the combination unit that sits (behind the steering wheel) also for any breakage in wires behind the steering wheel.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 AM

The number 25730xa is not a true part number. It is a number used to find the real part number in the parts book lists.

The real part number was originally 25730-40U00, but Nissan changed the number to 25730-40U05. The list price is about $38. You can get flasher unit at an auto parts store for much less, around $12, but it will not mount like the Nissan flasher.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:45 AM

I don't see any blown fuses, I suspect the combination unit. Is there any relays that I am leaving out. Is the BCM to be blamed. I am wondering what are the three relays in the fuse panel in the instrument panel.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:19 PM

There is no relay involved in the turn signal or hazard flasher circuit.

The body control module is remotely associated. It is what causes the lights to flash when you use the door lock remote. But for regular turn signal and hazard operation, the BCM has nothing to with the operation.

The 3 relays are the Blower Motor Relay, the Ignition Relay and the Accessory Relay. The Ignition Relay routes power to 7 fuses when the ignition key is in the ON position. One of these fuses is # 14, the turn signals. Fuse 11 for the hazard flashers is not. If this relay didn't work, there are a lot of other things that wouldn't work.

The flasher unit needs to have a good ground for it to work. I assume that if the ground is missing, it will not flash. But that is a guess. The flasher is connected to ground by the black wire in the wire harness connector. You could check the continuity of this wire.

You need to find the flasher unit and check voltages. 12 volts to the hazard switch comes in on the green/red stripe wire. Flashing 12 volts leaves on the light green/black stripe wire.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM

I recently created a thread on this and it was the combination flasher unit. If you are buying new from OEM, it was revised and is slightly smaller and requires a new bracket.