4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gambles progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 PM

Well today was another bust. Got new bulbs in the corners and the headlight clips that hold them in are broke. Just my luck. So a quick fix was some hot glue to hold them in place while I shop for new headlights. The grill was held on by zip ties and it broke when the headlight popped, so it's in the trash. I'll add that on my list of things to get.
Threw in my amp/sub and it won't power on. Wondering if my amp is bad. Has power and remote and ground. I am done messing with the car for today so I'll look at it later.

Edit: Found eagle eyes OEM style headlights on ebay for $58 shipped. And ordered a front grill from rock auto for $23 shipped. Ugh. It never ends

edit:
Ugh. Had the wrong remote wire soldered in so I fixed that and the amp turns on but I get no sound. I think the amp is shot. The speaker ohms out perfectly fine.

Last edited by Gamble; 01-17-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:52 PM

W00t!!!!
Just scored a set of integra headlights for 70 shipped from a semi local. Going to attempt a retrofit with those.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gamble
W00t!!!!
Just scored a set of integra headlights for 70 shipped from a semi local. Going to attempt a retrofit with those.
Why would you want to do a retrofit with Integra headlights? They're not factory HID projectors.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Good luck with your max, but I can't say I quite dig the whole integra head light thing...To each his own
Old 01-17-2011, 10:15 PM

did the actual grill break?
i have mine held in with zip ties and i feel it's better than stock, easier to take off and holds just as good.

I was gonna mention about the corner lights breaking, mine broke and i ended up buying new corners. It sounded like that's what you meant.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by AcousticDude122
Good luck with your max, but I can't say I quite dig the whole integra head light thing...To each his own
Originally Posted by PhatboyNYC
Why would you want to do a retrofit with Integra headlights? They're not factory HID projectors.
It's more or less cheap projectors to play around with, using the old headlights. I rather spend a cheap amount to make sure I can do it before I spend $300 on true projectors and break something and find out I can't do it.
However they do have a cut off and do not glare like stock headlights do. It's mroe or less a project.

Originally Posted by Reece616
did the actual grill break?
i have mine held in with zip ties and i feel it's better than stock, easier to take off and holds just as good.

I was gonna mention about the corner lights breaking, mine broke and i ended up buying new corners. It sounded like that's what you meant.
So after looking at this further, it looks like someone took the corner light apart because there was black silicone all over and a HUGE led bulb in there.
The grill was broke when I got the car and tapped up with clear tape so it was only a matter of time or a big bump that would of make it crack even further.
I may be getting some fog lights this weekend, that would be awesome.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:52 AM

My grill is held on with zip ties 2
Old 01-18-2011, 09:24 AM

zip ties work better than the stock brittle clips that come on the 97-99 grill.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 AM

Guess zip ties it is then. lol
So I tried searching and couldn't find anyone that did a retro with integra headlights. I thought it would have been more common.

EDIT: For those wondering what an HID kit looks like in a stock integra projector housing, see here
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...0&ThreadPage=1

Last edited by Gamble; 01-18-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 AM

My MB quarts showed up last night.

It says made in germany, but maybe they are now made in china. I mean they look nice but they don't weigh a damn thing. Well what can you expect for $52 shipped. I'll try to find time this week to put them in and let you know how they sound.

Yep as you can see a kitchen sink is on the floor. Hence some house projects I have going on at the same time. Sooo busy.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:19 AM

mann.. i have a oem grill for your max same color and everything.. LMK if you want it.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 AM

thats a dope looking kitchen sink
Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by 99greddymax
mann.. i have a oem grill for your max same color and everything.. LMK if you want it.
No thanks, I bought a new one.
Originally Posted by phatboislim
thats a dope looking kitchen sink
The sink is bad ***. 9inches deep! It was a display item I picked up at menards for $142. Then got a nickel faucet for $60ish. I want to put the sink in but now I kind of want a new counter top. I'm a cheap ***, but want it to look nice, so I am thinking of putting backer board over the laminate and then granite tile over it. I'm also looking to carpet part of the house in the next month or two.
Also I'm building an L shaped shelf by the window for storage on the bottom and cushion on the top for the dog to lay on and look out the window. And on top of that keeping up with the maxima and I still have to get the dsm ready spring.

So today I got home from work and really wanted to relax but wanted to get something done or else I'd feel like a lazy ***. I got my speakers yesterday so I drove to my parents house to use the garage. Since my eclipse doesn't ever leave it seems.
I didn't take many pics.
Doing a speaker install on this car was a breeze. Started with the passenger side. Took the door panel off and speaker off. Then I was thinking FML I should of just got regular speakers and I could of been done in 10minutes. But whatever, carry on. Roll the window down to see how much room you have to mount the crossover. There is a decent amount of room in these doors.
My mb quart speakers didn't fit in the stock hole and there was no mounting bracket similar to the stocker. So I got to thinking. First started with hand tools and started to enlarge the hole for the tweeter. This takes too long. So my dad had some wholesaw bits that I just brought back when I put a door lock in. I used it to enlarge the hole. The size I used was 38mm. You need to be careful doing this because the bit will dance around and there isn't much room for error. The washer on the back threads in to hold the speaker in place but the door panels are a little thick so not many threads stick out. I put it on anyway and used 4 small spots with a hot glue gun to hold it into place.
I didn't have any white velcro to mount the cross over and wanted to get this done quick. So instead of drilling holes, I used a hot glue gun and mounted them on the bottom of the door. Threw on the door panel and done. That side took about 1 hour or just less. Meanwhile looking up the pos/neg colors of the wires on www.the12volt.com
The driver side took a lot less time since I had it down to a science. 32minutes from start to finish (putting the tools away as well)

Now for my review. They sound a million times better than stock speakers with holes all around. Why wouldn't they. duh.
Am I impressed? Meh. Not really, but they do sound pretty good. Can't expect too much for $50 components. Above volume 26 on the headunit they get some static. However it's a alpine 9886 (iirc) so it's nothing too fancy. From my experience pioneer has more crisp sound. Also I don't have an internal amp for these components. Anywho I'll stop talking and show pics now.

Last edited by Gamble; 01-19-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:13 AM

Bordum while waiting for the soon to be ex to put the baby in the car I put one of the clear bulbs with blue condom in here. Subtle difference but will go led soon.

Grill showed up but the tab on the back is busted.

And so did my headlights, these are sweet
Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 PM

New rear speakers. Pioneer. Got them from a friend for free.

Had the back seat out in 4 minutes. The only thing that gave me a hard time was the C pillar. I left one in place and the other was a fight and it cracked, but it's no big deal, you can't see it. Ran some wire and soldered them in.
Install time was 1 hour start to finish. Including checking my phone and resinstalling the car seat and playing with my amp/sub.
I figured out why my sub didn't work. The coil that goes to the cone came off. So I borrowed a sub from my brother and put it in the box and in the car still no sound. Checked the resistance and found it to be open. The connection on the terminal at the back of the box was loose. So fixed that and just gotta throw in the trunk. I think that is it for today, helping work on a jeep and another maxima today.
Here is what ALL my 4 speakers looked like.

So all in all, $52 for front speakers, free rear speakers. $4 antenna adapter, $15 dash/install kit, $20 amp wiring and $85 for a used alpine. So for $176 I can't complain, it sounds good. Not great, but good enough for me. Maybe I'll upgrade the headunit and front speakers and get an interior amp down the line but for now it's perfect for a dd.

Last edited by Gamble; 01-21-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 PM

My afc showed up today but I'm broke so I may have to sell it.

And I got bored so I started making LEDs for my gauge needles

Old 01-23-2011, 12:10 PM

Apparently my gas light doesn't work. Filled up and she took 16.9 gallons. I'll put that on my liste of things to fix.
I got 326 miles per tank so 19.2mpg. Kind of sucks so I will be doing some things to try and get it higher. Tire pressure is 28psi. I upped them all to 37psi so we will see how this affects things. Btw I drive 90% highway and drive like a grandma.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 PM

Integra headlights should be arriving today so I'll tear those apart and play with some stuff. Hopefully my leds I ordered will be in soon.
Ordered a SS Y pipe today. w00t
On the hunt for side markers.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 PM

And I thought I was dealt bad luck in my life.

It's amazing that you're still coming along with the car. Keep up the good work! It may take you a while to do some of the things, but that's more than I can say I can do.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:22 PM

great progress so far. One thing that would make that better would be pictures of the installation process.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Hope you find that bill of sale. I'm waiting for a call back from Secretary of state police to see what they can do.
Needless to say I'm ****ing pissed.

Now I wonder what else I have to do to the car to make it reliable? All I wanted was a nice reliable car to pick up and drop off my 9month old daughter. I sold my last car because it had 192k miles and now I'm in the same boat.
I know this is old news, but you should always always always run a Carfax on a car prior to purchasing, regardless of the condition the car appears in, or what the seller tells you.

Lesson learned I guess. Good luck. I'll keep an eye on your thread and improvements.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Addicted to the Org

Apparently my gas light doesn't work. Filled up and she took 16.9 gallons. I'll put that on my liste of things to fix.
I got 326 miles per tank so 19.2mpg. Kind of sucks so I will be doing some things to try and get it higher. Tire pressure is 28psi. I upped them all to 37psi so we will see how this affects things. Btw I drive 90% highway and drive like a grandma.
Something is really wrong here. If I drive mainly highway miles, I get 410-430 miles to a tank. I usually drive between 75-80 too, and if I drive mostly city miles, I still get around 350 to a tank.

Oh and by the way, I think cold 37psi is too much.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 PM

I check mileage every tank. My worst tank was 25.4 (much more city) and I have had numerous 28.4, 28.8 28.6 etc with more highway than city. Yours seems pretty low.

I ran out of gas with more city and it was at 468 miles when I did that (testing gas light). Didn't work and wont run that low ever again. Needed to know though.

Last edited by ride2wheels; 01-25-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by StartaFire89
And I thought I was dealt bad luck in my life.

It's amazing that you're still coming along with the car. Keep up the good work! It may take you a while to do some of the things, but that's more than I can say I can do.
lol ya my luck sucks. No biggie I just keep waiting for things to change.

Originally Posted by maximus nismo
great progress so far. One thing that would make that better would be pictures of the installation process.
No problem, I'll take as many as I can.
Originally Posted by The Wizard
I know this is old news, but you should always always always run a Carfax on a car prior to purchasing, regardless of the condition the car appears in, or what the seller tells you.

Lesson learned I guess. Good luck. I'll keep an eye on your thread and improvements.
Yes you should...if you have money. I was broke and spent my last dime to get the car.
Originally Posted by maximized98
Something is really wrong here. If I drive mainly highway miles, I get 410-430 miles to a tank. I usually drive between 75-80 too, and if I drive mostly city miles, I still get around 350 to a tank.

Oh and by the way, I think cold 37psi is too much.
Well the exhaust leak doesn't help much. So I will be adding new plugs and a grounding kit and see what else I can do to get better mileage.
These tires will take 44psi max, but I have to check them when they are warm and I'll see where they are at. So far the car rides much better.

Originally Posted by ride2wheels
I check mileage every tank. My worst tank was 25.4 (much more city) and I have had numerous 28.4, 28.8 28.6 etc with more highway than city. Yours seems pretty low.

I ran out of gas with more city and it was at 468 miles when I did that (testing gas light). Didn't work and wont run that low ever again. Needed to know though.
My gas light doesn't work yet lol.
I will look at the bulb tomorrow. My 5way led's showed up today so I will try these in the gauge cluster this weekend. And put my 4ways in the doors.

Thanks guys.

Taking apart my headlights at the moment, got one in the oven. lol
Old 01-25-2011, 09:01 PM

One in the oven.

Had to put it in and take it out a few times, seems like it was never warm enough to pull apart. A small corner of the plastic housing cracked, no big deal, it was the back side and not the lens. Carefully peel it apart slowly.

After the front plastic lens was off I took this thing off.

Now it looks like this.

The back needs to be cut.

I started to cut it, but my cutoff wheel needs a different wheel and my dremel sucks. I'm going to my dads tomorrow so I'll use his and see how it comes out.

Here are my integra headlights I took apart.

Anyone know to take this chrome stuff out?

Last edited by Gamble; 01-25-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 PM

Looking good so far gamble !! Keep it up cars coming along nicely !
Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 PM

AE your headlights while your at it!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by defiance
Looking good so far gamble !! Keep it up cars coming along nicely !
Thanks. Hopefully it will be done soon so I can work on the beast! She's ready to drop in, but my garage is too cold and I don't need her done until summer.
Sneek peek of the dsm motor.

And yes those are some rpf1's you see on her

Originally Posted by VisciousMo
AE your headlights while your at it!
Not a bad idea. I'll think about it. Should I sand them first or no? I just don't want to have to do it more than once.

Ordered some side markers today
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ml#post7905697
Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 AM

you are one ambitious guy gamble. Props man
Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 AM

Apparently my gas light doesn't work. Filled up and she took 16.9 gallons. Btw I drive 90% highway and drive like a grandma.
My gas light comes on regularly, but I need to add more 17 gallons when it comes one. I filled up yesterday with 16.9 gallons and the light hadn't come on yet. My car doesn't like run on the gas light though, after 10-15 miles past the gas light coming on my car will stumble, so I must have some crap or water in the tank.

You should get better than 25+mpg on the highway if your driving like Grandma. I do a lot highway driving as well. I have playing (ie WOT) with my car since the 00VI conversion last month and I am still getting 23-25mpg.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 AM

I'm sure the exhaust leak doesn't help. So I'm going to kill this tank, and check the mileage. Then do a Y pipe, plugs, maybe a grounding kit and intake pipe. Also out of no where my front right brake is dragging just a hair. I can hear the warning label while driving sometimes so I'll do front brakes. I would hope I can get 25-26mpg after these upgrades. If not then I"ll try some seafoam in the gas tank and look into other things. Maybe a fpr or something.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Yes you should...if you have money. I was broke and spent my last dime to get the car.
Weakf'nsauce. That has to be the poorest excuse I have ever heard. If you don't have $25 more dollars to run a Carfax, then you have no business buying the car IMO.

And now you magically have money to fix stuff/make improvements and go on a shopping spree buying various things......
Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Weakf'nsauce. That has to be the poorest excuse I have ever heard. If you don't have $25 more dollars to run a Carfax, then you have no business buying the car IMO.

And now you magically have money to fix stuff/make improvements and go on a shopping spree buying various things......
I didn't ask for your opinion. You asked, I answered, simple as that.
And it's $35. If I ran a carfax on every car I looked at, I would be in the hole a few hundred. I sold my car, and needed to get another car asap. This one kind of fell in my lap and I borrowed a few bucks to pick it up. I am trying to pinch every penny I can seeing how I pay $800 a month in child support.
Everything I have done to the car is on a budget so far and I have worked some good overtime and sold some of my old dsm parts. Not that it's any of your business that I have money now...
For all you know I could be putting it on a credit card or stealing it. Doesn't really matter.
What, I spent a good amount on brakes. Damn right I had to. And I went cheap as **** on a few things for myself like some $6 light bulbs and a headunit.

Do you do a carfax on every car you have purchased? I think not. So now if you have nothing positive to contribute to my thread you can GTFO.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Old 01-26-2011, 01:35 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

... Not that it's any of your business that I have money now......
+1 Personal circumstances are just that... personal. The interwebz has completely destroyed the boundaries of tact.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:26 PM

One in the oven.
Anyone know to take this chrome stuff out?
Thank you for posting these images. I'll be doing a retrofit in the near future and I'll use these as a sort of instruction guide.

Please, please, PLEASE take a lot of photos of this process. Even things you think are mundane...i.e. where to mount the ballasts, mounting the projectors in the housing, etc.

I wonder if there is a how to for retrofitting projectors in the 4th gen?
....quick, start the internets search engines!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
I lol'd at this.
It's like you came in the thread, saw the post above yours and said" WTF did I walk into!?" then quickly went out like" Oh, ****, lemme stay outta this one."

All that, from that one smiley. Damn, I spend too much time on the net.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:34 PM

My 2000 is only getting 250 miles to a tank thats only 15 mpg all city miles. Even my wife's 06 jetta 2.5 is only getting 17mpg all city and its driving me nuts! Is it because of this crappy chicago traffic in the city or what the heck is going on? I'm interested to see what you do to get that mpg up gamble because gas prices here in the city are skyrocketing.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:34 PM

Thanks. Hopefully it will be done soon so I can work on the beast! She's ready to drop in, but my garage is too cold and I don't need her done until summer.
Sneek peek of the dsm motor.

And yes those are some rpf1's you see on her

Not a bad idea. I'll think about it. Should I sand them first or no? I just don't want to have to do it more than once.
uhhhh from the tutorials I've been reading..no you don't have to. Wheel paint is recommended
Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM

BTW cars coming along great Gamble! I'm going to start working on my car soon so look out for my progress thread

Quick Reply: Gambles progress thread