4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

engine blew up:) need a new one! you have one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:13 PM

engine blew up:) need a new one! you have one?

well....motor threw a rod today cruisin on the interstate doing about 75 on cruise control....kinda dogged it earlier that morning and then heard what i thought was a rodknock....but it only did it like 3500 and up...so me and my buddy just took it easy.

..then on the way home,...doing 75...i could hear the tapping....then...it got louder for a split second and it went boom haha heard metal hit the bottom of my car..then cloud of white smoke behind me .

.so i drifted for a good 1/2 mile till i stopped...towed it home...started it up and put it in the garage...man its loud haha started tearin it apart..to pull it.

****..so the point of this thread is i need a de or dek to replace this one like asap so if you have or know of someone that has an engine laying around pm me...im willing to pick up if your not too too far...
Old 01-03-2011, 08:24 PM

After reading your "slipping trans" thread and then this, Im just going to be blunt. Sell your max to someone who will take care of it, and buy a Honduh cause your an idiot.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 PM
4th Gen Parts King

lol wheres njmaxseltd to say I told you so.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 PM

Live and learn. http://car-part.com/
Old 01-03-2011, 10:10 PM

Wow! What did you do to blow your engine? Must be NOS

Sorry to hear about your car, but at least you are gonna be back in the game! As soon as you get a new engine haha.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:05 PM

Wow poor max That was a bizarre story. Lol But sell it too me
Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 PM

dude screw yall who say buy a fu**in honda. i have fun in my car and will change/ repair whatever she needs to stay running, im not gnna give up because of this. ima learn how to do it...i take this optomistically lol....i blow it up....she gets a heart transplant but thanks anyways! and yes i will up and running within the week the engine is halfway out now..and will be all the way out tomorrow!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
After reading your "slipping trans" thread and then this, Im just going to be blunt. Sell your max to someone who will take care of it, and buy a Honduh cause your an idiot.
...Says the one with like a 75 sidewall on his sick rims and no drop. That's very Honduh right there.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Maxima_Joe
lol wheres njmaxseltd to say I told you so.
Did I call this or what?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Boosted Panda

Wow, how do you blow a stock motor? The VQ is one tough engine, in order for you to throw a rod you must beat on that thing daily.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:00 AM

You guys are all d**k bags we all started with out any idea how things work at least the kids got heart to fix it
Old 01-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by 97 4thgen
You guys are all d**k bags we all started with out any idea how things work at least the kids got heart to fix it
How is that?
They guy should learn how to drive and take care of a vehicle before anything. Its good to see that he does have "heart" to fix everything he breaks,... too bad he doesnt have common sense as well.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Wow, how do you blow a stock motor? The VQ is one tough engine, in order for you to throw a rod you must beat on that thing daily.
Or run it with no oil.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

too bad he doesnt have common sense as well.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 AM

I
Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Live and learn. http://car-part.com/
Yeah car-parts. com is a good spot plenty of engines. Might as well do the 3.5 swap while your at it...
Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by viperboy
...Says the one with like a 75 sidewall on his sick rims and no drop. That's very Honduh right there.
LoL, I'M not trying to be cool here. They are 15" rims on a stock car with stock or near stock tire size. I have my car to drive 50 miles a day to work, not to impress all my mouth breathing ricer friends. I couldn't care less what you or anyone thinks of my car. I dont beat the **** outta it and then ask whats wrong.

If he doesn't want to catch a bunch of **** he needs to take care of his ride, and not tell everybody about the stupid **** he does to his car.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Saw the double post of this in the 5th gen section and read this as well as the clutch problem thread.

This guy is a great example of why we need stricter licensing laws. Funny how the guy in the other thread called what was going to happen spot on.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Did I call this or what?
I actually had to go back to tsheffler's tranny thread cuz i swore i read that too...

U called it man spot on

--------------------------
Tsheffler man,

How da fawk u throw a rod on a non SC'ed engine?

there are LOTs of members with over 300k on their max and still goin strong. Do your max a favor and be nice to her
Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 PM

what do you have to do to blow a vq30 motor???

seriously though
Old 01-04-2011, 02:32 PM

I am curious also. I am not patronizing the OP, I just am curious as to what it REALLY takes to blow a VQ.

But the OP has Maxima love and that is all that really matters, he has fun in his 4th Gen and that is really all that matters. As long as he has spirit and dedication to have a good time in his 4th Gen and continue to do so, he is A-OKAY.

And besides it not like WE are paying for his repairs, or that any of his actions will affect any of us in anyway shape or form.

But then again, driving recklessly on the open road is a danger to other drivers.... but that is a whole different discussion.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsheffler
haha i like the "help my trans went out" comment haha actually made me laugh out loud, i will check the levels tomorrow...i feel like a complete newb idiot because....well.....ima just put it out there..and im gonna get laughed/flamed...whatever you all wanna do lol...ok well...i think my problem this whole time....or well partially is that i am dumping from too high of an rpm....if i dump it from like 3 ish....itll grab if i feather it for the most part so the tires grab,..i havent tried just straight up 3 grand, then floor....but i will....soon...just to see if 3 grand is consistant..

--but will dumping it at 4-6 make it slip like that? or should i keep investigating?

Response from njmaxseltd
It wasn't ment to be funny. You keep driving your Maxima like that and you'll be replacing some high dollar parts real soon.

Dumping a clutch on just about any vehicle is going to cause premature failure of drive trane components.

Keep dumping the clutch, we'll watch for your next thread.

haha then keep your eyes open im sure it will come eventually.....i know that for a fact...as many miles as i have, and the way i drive sometimes...something has to go....these trans' arent indestructable....im suprised something hasnt gone yet

but thanks for the positivity! haha
Like I said, He's an Idiot and the reason he should drive a Honduh is so GOOD Maxima parts will stay in circulation a little while longer.

Last edited by asand1; 01-04-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
I am curious also. I am not patronizing the OP, I just am curious as to what it REALLY takes to blow a VQ.

But the OP has Maxima love and that is all that really matters, he has fun in his 4th Gen and that is really all that matters. As long as he has spirit and dedication to have a good time in his 4th Gen and continue to do so, he is A-OKAY.

And besides it not like WE are paying for his repairs, or that any of his actions will affect any of us in anyway shape or form.

But then again, driving recklessly on the open road is a danger to other drivers.... but that is a whole different discussion.
Second that, and I second the http://car-part.com/.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:14 PM

ok...so...thanks to the guys who actually feel the love to the maxima and understand that i have fun, i DO take care of it..and fix what i break...hence why i ask dumb questions on heree trying to figure out whats wrong so i CAN fix it, not just run it to the ground with broken pieces. This car to me is a learning car--Before i had this car i knew pretty much nothing about automotive shiz...and some of you will read that and say you still dont , but i do...i learn as i go and look at it ina good way, my engine blows up,that means im putting a younger one in it so i can have my car longer...am i wrong?!

to those of you wondering how you blow a vq. abuse her. i do the monthlly maintenece, good oiil every 3000 miles, i do take care of her but yes on the other hand i do abuse her every day. call me an idiot but its just how i am. i love my car and like to show people that its just an ordinary 4 door.

people try to race me and alot of the times i win. but im not going into that cuz i dont wanna be banned...so hate/ flame...do what ever you wanna do to me, ill brush it off, cuz im not going anywhere soon and neither is my car. i will be at maxus 2011 so hold your dumb questions till then and ill explain fully

again, to all of you who are giving me credit for not just giving up and going to a honduh, thankyou. i appreciate it....

...now...back to pulling this motor.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM

Ah I see, it takes daily abuse over a long period of time to blow our engine. Guess my once every couple weeks 3/4 throttle for a few seconds in a straight line on the freeway won't kill my motor anytime soon PHEW!

But tsheffler, take care of yourself. I wouldn't want you to go and get yourself killed or hurt because of me and a few people who supported you having a good time driving your car. Because then I will get depressed because someone got hurt because of something I said... literally.

And since I just saw Titanic I'm still feeling a little sad about all the people who died. So the next time you fall off the Titanic be sure to avoid any propellers and large metal objects in your way. And once you are in the water be sure to evenly distribute your weight on the piece of wood so that both your fat *** and Rose's fat *** will fit without flipping over.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM

Hell ive reved to 7.5k for a month straight and still was running strong. The clutch was the thing to eventually fail.

Originally Posted by Gamble
Or run it with no oil.
Ive done that and she still ran.

This car to me is a learning car--Before i had this car i knew pretty much nothing about automotive shiz...and some of you will read that and say you still dont , but i do...i learn as i go and look at it ina good way,
Hey man i was the same exact way. I didnt know nothing till i came here(not that i know alot i just have a better idea then i did before)

So good luck man and read read read. If you read and research people will respect you alot more and be more willing to help. And yes sometimes you have to search deep to find the answer. But i bet you 75-95 percent of the time the answer is right there you just have to do the leg work.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Boosted Panda

, my engine blows up,that means im putting a younger one in it so i can have my car longer...am i wrong?!.
But putting in another motor just to beat and rag on it daily doesnt gaurantee you dont blow another.
Seriously, I still dont get how you blew that motor still. Ive owned my car for close to 14yrs now and have gotten on it many, many times and have never had any major mechanical issues.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM

Nothing against you personally, I've had friends like you that like to do neutral drops and burnouts in puddles of motor oil and all kinds of horrendous things to their cars. And they've all made me pull my hair out cause they came to me to fix it.
You can have fun and drive hard without killing your car. Learn what the capabilities of your car are, excessive is excessive. Dumping the clutch above 25K without slicks is not only unneeded, it causes wheel-slip and costs time at the drag strip. Shifting at 7K is above redline in my '96, not sure what your tack says, you should not have to go above 6. If you have to shift above 6K, you may be racing out of your league. Not to mention tearing up your engine and trans.
You have much to learn, try to read up and learn from others mistakes rather than tearing up your own car.
I get more emotional over abused cars, than science experiment puppies.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:09 PM

haha ive never taken it to the track, i was going to but the clutch was slippin so it seemed pointless. i am learning very quickly that the way i drive is taking its tole..and will back off..as soon as i get the initial "back on the road" urge done with lol but asand1 the difference between me and ur buds is that they beat their stuff up and say hey fix it...i break it and fix it myself. i do research to try and learn myself but if i cant find exactly what i need, thats when i come to you guys, thats why were here right?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 PM

But putting in another motor just to beat and rag on it daily doesnt gaurantee you dont blow another.
Seriously, I still dont get how you blew that motor still. Ive owned my car for close to 14yrs now and have gotten on it many, many times and have never had any major mechanical issues.
That's quite unfair to compare, I don't think tsheffler is the only owner of his car.

Your car has seen consistent treatment throughout it's 14 years (well more consistent then tsheffler's obviously.

It really matters just how the motor was maintained, it's been proven with the correct maintenance these motors can stand the test of time.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 PM

So THATS whats happens when you over rev this motor on a regular basis ^^
Its time for a DEK swap but I hope when its fixed and running you will have a little
more sense and safety for others on the road.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 AM

What engine are you going with? DE-K or VQ35?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by aackshun
That's quite unfair to compare, I don't think tsheffler is the only owner of his car.

Your car has seen consistent treatment throughout it's 14 years (well more consistent then tsheffler's obviously.

It really matters just how the motor was maintained, it's been proven with the correct maintenance these motors can stand the test of time.
Somewhat true, however all the maintenance in the world wont prevent breakage from constant misuse and daily abuse.
The OP has already admited to constantly dumping the clutch and revving the h#ll out of this car,... no telling what else he subjects his car to that he isnt mentioning.
Like Product_Of_Korea stated, these cars can withstand some high reving, Ive revved mine to 7k many times as well, and have bounced off the rev limiter quite a few times also and Im still going strong and boosted to boot.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval

Well said man. At least he is a true enthusiast. I cant stand it when someone joins the org, subscribes to a thread and starts maxi bashing. complete a-holes

Tsheffler man, jus take good care of her. U be aiight

Last edited by cashoit; 01-05-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:07 AM

well....motor threw a rod today cruisin on the interstate doing about 75 on cruise control....kinda dogged it earlier that morning and then heard what i thought was a rodknock....but it only did it like 3500 and up...so me and my buddy just took it easy.

..then on the way home,...doing 75...i could hear the tapping....then...it got louder for a split second and it went boom haha heard metal hit the bottom of my car..then cloud of white smoke behind me .

.so i drifted for a good 1/2 mile till i stopped...towed it home...started it up and put it in the garage...man its loud haha started tearin it apart..to pull it.

****..so the point of this thread is i need a de or dek to replace this one like asap so if you have or know of someone that has an engine laying around pm me...im willing to pick up if your not too too far...

too bad i just got rid of mine. all i got is a 3.5 with a spun rod bearing. which sounds like what you did but eventually blew a hole in the block..mine just ceased up trying to drive it to the shop and swap another motor in lol
Old 01-05-2011, 08:11 AM

ok before we all start ragging on eachother lets just assume it ran low on oil. has nothing to do with beating on the car. maybe he had a leak he missed or something and the thing starts randomly knocking. (of course he forgot to check his oil needless to say or why else would you drive a car with no oil) **** happens. my suggestion is look on craigslist.!!! i found stuff really cheap there
Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun

hey these red ones are champs. lol i cant count how many times i beat on my se-l and miss shifted to 2nd instead of 4th. but NOOOOOO. this thing takes it like a champ lol. the only thing went wrong with my red one was a starter and fuel filter. (SO PISSED I SOLD IT >=(
Old 01-05-2011, 11:20 AM
SLOW

When was the last time your oil level had been checked? Pretty rare for a stock VQ to let go like that. I'm wondering if you ran the thing out of oil somehow.

I have a hard time believing that simply beating on the car or normal "average" neglect would cause this. Maybe an extreme combination of both could - like running the thing down to 1qt of oil an then bouncing off the rev limiter and just flooring the car everywhere all day would.

I did some pretty bad stuff to my old $1000 beater max that I had and it never skipped a beat which is hard to believe honestly.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:15 PM

as far as the oil goes....it had oil,, maybe not "topped off" but there deffinately wasnt only a quart, but it may have been low...kinda hard to tell when i left oil onthe exit ramp, rollback, driveway, garage, and in my axhaust..lol..

but about the rod bearing, it spun. im not sure when, or what happened first. but i pulled that piston rod through the hole yesterday and the beering was flush on one side of the rod and all the way stickin out on the other, instead of having matching amounts of bearing on both sides right? but the bearing moved over, and the crank side of the rod is OMG ate up, lookes like someone took an air chissle and just ate it to ****. grooves, sharp spots, etc...so...im not sure if the rod snapped off the crank....THEN slid out from the piston or visa versa...

but what i am sure of is this engine is shot....the insides (from what i can see through the hole) are all scarred up, and there is 2 holes...yea TWO...one big in front and decent one in back haha but it still started when i got home!

and btw, somehow, the way i drive has been a bit exagerated on the forum haha i dont dump the clutch much at all anymore, i did for that couple week period and only a few times a week to see what my clutch was doing because it was pissing me off. i dont do burnouts as i dont wanna pay for new tires. my "bad driving" is dropping it into 3rd at about 80 and pounding it, ...there's the high rpm damage...cuz yes i did do that quite often on the interstate....:/ sorry guys lol

But i think im just going with a stock de ..just alot less miles because noone has come up with anything else to offer and i dont have the money for a 3.5 right now...it sucks. i would love too but dont have quite enough money or the car smarts to doo it.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:43 PM

Get another cheap motor and just check on it more often.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:56 PM

koodos to the guy for being honest about how he abuses his ride. hell i dont care how much he blows his engine up . i'm not paying for it. but do be careful for the sake of others on the road.you don't wanna be some jackass he kills someones loved one. take it to a track to get your aggression out

Quick Reply: engine blew up:) need a new one! you have one?