4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Project: refreshing engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:46 PM

Project: refreshing engine

Hey how's it going guys.
I wanted to start a thread to document some work i'll be doing in my maxima in the next couple of weeks
I've had it since march, and it's been nothing but awesome. I love the car so much.
When i bought it, without even checking i bought a lot of maintenance parts, spark plugs, pcv valve, fuel filter, air filter, and some other things. But upon inspection i found everything clean and in great condition.
But since it's been a while, i think it's time for me to refresh the engine a little.

I've replaced a few parts, such as
*halfshaft
*rear struts
*starter
*gauge cluster

I've also changed the oil and stuff, but this time i'll go a little deeper.

this is a list of things i will do:

*oil change
*oil filter
*spark plugs
*pcv valve
*seafoam
*k&n drop in air filter (i've read mixed reviews, i'll give it a try since at my job i get it for only a few more bucks than the regular filter)
*fuel filter
*replace valve cover gasket, is not leaking terribly or anything, just build up.
*oil pan gasket replacement, small leak bugging me.
*serpentine belts

i think that covers everything, any suggestions??? something i may be forgetting that i should do?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Got Retrofit?

Don't put SeaFoam into your crankcase, just put it in the gas and intake manifold.

For spark plugs, make sure to use NGK's or Denso's.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Don't put SeaFoam into your crankcase, just put it in the gas and intake manifold.

For spark plugs, make sure to use NGK's or Denso's.
not in my maxima, but when doing seafoam, i've put about a third of a can in the crank case BEFORE the oil change, run it for about 20 miles, and then do the oil change, with great results.

I forgot to mention, I'll also use some marvel mistery oil. i love how that thing smells lol
Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 PM

They say that if you haven't been regularly Seafoaming your engine, you shouldn't put any in the crankcase, the reason being that the very carbon deposits Seafoam is supposed to remove may be plugging up minor leaks. I've heard complaints about oil leaks developing after foaming the crankcase, but never any conclusive proof, so...y'know, caveat emptor.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:58 PM

tb cleaning, and iacv cleaning. maf cleaning. thats what i would do.

make sure you clean the drop in before you drop it in. they can cause maf problems. they come over oiled.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:10 PM

after you get all that done and your engine is cooled down from tearing it up, spray the engine down to get it wet, spray bleach white everywhere and let it sit for a little while. rinse well, then spray son of a gun everywhere, especially on your hoses and close the hood. make sure if you spray anything on the paint you clean it right away.

dont open your hood till the next day and your engine will look so fresh and so clean
Old 12-02-2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by j-dawg
They say that if you haven't been regularly Seafoaming your engine, you shouldn't put any in the crankcase, the reason being that the very carbon deposits Seafoam is supposed to remove may be plugging up minor leaks. I've heard complaints about oil leaks developing after foaming the crankcase, but never any conclusive proof, so...y'know, caveat emptor.
I've read about that as well, I'll probably use it only through the brake booster and on my gas.

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
tb cleaning, and iacv cleaning. maf cleaning. thats what i would do.

make sure you clean the drop in before you drop it in. they can cause maf problems. they come over oiled.
i'll keep that in mind, i think i cleaned the TB when i replaced my starter, but i didn't clean any other things. I'll take care of those too, thanks for letting me know

Originally Posted by Swazey
after you get all that done and your engine is cooled down from tearing it up, spray the engine down to get it wet, spray bleach white everywhere and let it sit for a little while. rinse well, then spray son of a gun everywhere, especially on your hoses and close the hood. make sure if you spray anything on the paint you clean it right away.

dont open your hood till the next day and your engine will look so fresh and so clean
thanks for the advice man, a dirty engine is not that big of a problem since i've always kept it clean.
I hate when i open a hood and it looks like it's never been opened before haha

I do it the hard way thoguh...simple green, tooth brush, lots of rags