4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Coilovers for NYC

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Coilovers for NYC

I'm thinking of changing from my current set up (H&R springs with tokico illuminas) to coilovers. However: after reading various threads, it seems it is not recommended to run coilovers in cold weather. Being I live in NY and winter is coming, my question is what, if any, coilover would be recommended for use in NYC? I was actually looking at the K-sports Kontrol Pro. Any other suggestions.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Got Retrofit?

Save the CO's for warmer weather. Things are cooling down here. Keep the suspension you have now for winter. Order D2's and put them on when spring comes around. Keep the H&Rs/Illuminas for winter.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:04 AM

Yea, thats the thing. I don't wont to have to be switching back and forth. So basically coil-overs are a no-no for winter? Better off staying with spring and strut combo.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by NABU6
Yea, thats the thing. I don't wont to have to be switching back and forth. So basically coil-overs are a no-no for winter? Better off staying with spring and strut combo.
I understand that. I personally wouldn't ride with CO's in the winter. You also risk of them getting seized up and adjusting the height is gonna be a major pain in the ***.

Are you trying to go lower? What's your reasoning for wanting CO's?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Riding dropped in NYC, I don't see how you guys do it. I was up there a couple years ago to visit some fam and it was one of the worse rides I've ever had in my car. Particularly Linden Blvd. I'm on H&R and Illuminas as well and that's not really a harsh ride setup.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by deezo
Riding dropped in NYC, I don't see how you guys do it. I was up there a couple years ago to visit some fam and it was one of the worse rides I've ever had in my car. Particularly Linden Blvd. I'm on H&R and Illuminas as well and that's not really a harsh ride setup.
I guess you just learn to get used to it lol. I don't live in the city, but I'm down there from time to time and it's not bad at all. Just gotta dodge all the potholes and take everything at an angle lol. Bottom of my front lip scrapes from time to time but that doesn't bother me one bit.

I'm on AGX's/Eibach's.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
I guess you just learn to get used to it lol. I don't live in the city, but I'm down there from time to time and it's not bad at all. Just gotta dodge all the potholes and take everything at an angle lol. Bottom of my front lip scrapes from time to time but that doesn't bother me one bit.

I'm on AGX's/Eibach's.
You can't dodge what you can't see at 45 mph in the dark. Plus you're on AGX's and those are hella stiff compared to Illuminas. I used to have them on my car when I lived in Mass and they were even too stiff for the roads up there.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Got Retrofit?

You can't dodge what you can't see at 45 mph in the dark. Plus you're on AGX's and those are hella stiff compared to Illuminas. I used to have them on my car when I lived in Mass and they were even too stiff for the roads up there.
That's one thing I don't do much of in the city, night time driving. Once my retro's done tough, that shouldn't be a problem either .

Why does everyone say AGX's are uber stiff? I have these stiff *** Eibach's and the struts are set on the stiff side (3F/6R) and they ride great even on 18's. I wish someone was local to sit in my car and experience it for themselves.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:01 AM

That's one thing I don't do much of in the city, night time driving. Once my retro's done tough, that shouldn't be a problem either .

Why does everyone say AGX's are uber stiff? I have these stiff *** Eibach's and the struts are set on the stiff side (3F/6R) and they ride great even on 18's. I wish someone was local to sit in my car and experience it for themselves.
Get Tok Blues or Illuminas and you'll see. AGX's are really stiff compared to the Toks.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:35 AM

I understand that. I personally wouldn't ride with CO's in the winter. You also risk of them getting seized up and adjusting the height is gonna be a major pain in the ***.

Are you trying to go lower? What's your reasoning for wanting CO's?
well, my rear is sitting a little lower than the front (sound system) plus I read that coilovers give you a better ride in comparison to strut, spring combo.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:36 AM

lol. Linden blvd. no wonder. Yea, you just experienced a truly horrible part of town. What is your settings?
Old 11-10-2010, 12:19 PM

lol. Linden blvd. no wonder. Yea, you just experienced a truly horrible part of town. What is your settings?
Yeah, it's like they never even fixed it since I've grown up in BK. The road was the same back in the 70's and 80's.

TBH, I have Blues on the fronts and Illuminas in the rear so I don't remember what settings I have them on. I'm about to swap the rears out for Blues since they're busted.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:34 PM

However: after reading various threads, it seems it is not recommended to run coilovers in cold weather.
Coilovers are just the package the shock comes in. It's a spring, and a damper.

What makes the coilover inherently bad in cold weather?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Got Retrofit?

Get Tok Blues or Illuminas and you'll see. AGX's are really stiff compared to the Toks.
No blues for me, they're more of a stock replacement. Maybe I'll try the Illuminas when these blow.

well, my rear is sitting a little lower than the front (sound system) plus I read that coilovers give you a better ride in comparison to strut, spring combo.
Don't H&R's sag in the rear to begin with? And I've only heard good things about your set-up, do they ride harsh?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Coilovers are just the package the shock comes in. It's a spring, and a damper.

What makes the coilover inherently bad in cold weather?
I'm trying to understand this also.

To me, it seems like the only issue might be corrosion on the body/adjustment thread. The D2's I saw in the GB are teflon coated to prevent this.

Or does it have to do with the smaller volume of oil in the damper making it almost rigid in very cold weather until the oil heats up.

I'd love the handling of CO's, but my roads are bad now and even worse in the winter.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:16 PM

BC with setting on 11
Old 11-10-2010, 04:33 PM

I was in NY with my ksports dumped.... I wanted to shoot my brains out mulitple times.. Well everytime i heard metal scrap, or my front lip...But hey gotta pay the price to play the low game
Old 11-10-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
I'm trying to understand this also.

To me, it seems like the only issue might be corrosion on the body/adjustment thread. The D2's I saw in the GB are teflon coated to prevent this.

Or does it have to do with the smaller volume of oil in the damper making it almost rigid in very cold weather until the oil heats up.

I'd love the handling of CO's, but my roads are bad now and even worse in the winter.
D2's are great. Quite a few people i know have them with no problem
Old 11-11-2010, 07:05 AM

I have Tein Basic Coilovers for about 2 years not no problems with them yet the drop is about 2.2-2.4 inches don't really bottom out unless its one of those supper uneven roads then ill crape sometimes
Old 11-11-2010, 07:07 PM
nycmaximas member

Yeah NY roads suck!!!! I dont know how or why I do it???