4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Security Light, Then TPS Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:28 PM

Security Light, Then TPS Issue?

I had a strange series of events happen last night. I went out to grab some dinner. When I parked, I thought I had turned the key to ACC to finish a song, but I guess I missed the notch a little, so the engine was still running when I let the clutch out. No worries, just a rough shutdown. I got out of the car and locked it with the remote like I always do. The place was closed, so I unlocked the car and started her back up in less than a minute. When I started it, the security light was on. Knowing that security issues can cause a no-start issue and not wanting to walk home in a torrential downpour, I drove home to figure everything out.

When I got home, I looked up the fix in the owner's manual: Turn key to ON, wait 5 seconds, OFF, wait 5 seconds, repeat steps 1 & 2. It worked. The car started, and the security light was off. The now-warm engine was idling really high, though: 2k RPM. No CEL throughout all of this. No ghost codes, either. I started looking through the ScanGauge for anything unusual and noticed that the TPS reading was 7 degrees with my foot off the gas. It was still pouring and I was still hungry, so I went back out. The car ran fine the whole time, just with a really high idle. It's weird not having to touch the gas to get up to 45. During this outing, the idle TPS reading was anywhere between 7 and 9. I don't have a garage, so anything I was going to fix or find under the hood was going to have to wait until morning.

Morning rolled around, and I got in the car. I checked the TPS reading before I started it. It was down to 2 degrees. I started the car and popped the hood. Nothing seemed loose. Cold idle sounded normal. I tried tapping on the TPS to see if maybe something was loose and causing the problem (no idea what it looks like internally), but no changes. It stayed at 2 degrees until I blipped the engine from the throttle body, then it went down to 1. It runs just fine like that, so I was OK with it for the moment. I started driving, and by the time I got to the end of my street, the TPS reading was 0. Later in the day, started again, TPS read 2. After a few hundred feet, back down to 0.

So, the problem is kind of fixing itself, but I'm curious what caused it exactly. Is it possible that the ignition switch being between positions caused both issues and they have nothing to do with each other otherwise? The high idle issue didn't start until after I reset the security system, so that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Does that reset procedure also do something to the ECU that makes it have to re-learn the TPS readings? It's not exactly an urgent issue, but I'm pretty stumped here. Any insight is appreciated.

Last edited by VQ30MPG; 10-28-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:08 AM

Any ideas?
Old 10-31-2010, 07:32 AM

Update: It's still doing the 2° TPS on cold start thing. As soon as the engine starts to get warm, TPS drops back to 0. I never payed really close attention to my TPS before. Is it supposed to do that?
Old 10-31-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by VQ30MPG
Update: It's still doing the 2° TPS on cold start thing. As soon as the engine starts to get warm, TPS drops back to 0. I never payed really close attention to my TPS before. Is it supposed to do that?

it is ok. mine shows 2° when cold too, when warm 0. i dont have problems with idle. It is because resistance change with temperature, so it could lie little bit when cold, but it doesn't matter.