4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OBX Intake (Ebay)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:46 PM

OBX Intake (Ebay)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-D...Q5fAccessories

Anyone have experience with this product? Looking to mount a K&N on the end of it.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Got Retrofit?

That's a knockoff Injen, don't get it. Get the knockoff PR CAI instead.

Either way a K&N would be nice instead of those crappy filters they come with.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
That's a knockoff Injen, don't get it. Get the knockoff PR CAI instead.

Either way a K&N would be nice instead of those crappy filters they come with.
I thought the Injen's pipe was a lot longer than that? There's a 96 at the lot here that has an Injen and the filter is down below the transmission.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:20 PM

Yeah don't use the filters that come in the Ebay stuff, I went through two MAF sensors before I switched back to stock. For some reason they both shorted out, one was OEM and one was aftermarket.

Switching back to stock stopped the killing of MAF sensors for me, although I really should have had just spent the money to buy a better filter rather than be cheap and having to end up buying MAF sensors instead.......................

But soon enough when I get bored of the stock sound I am going to buy a better cone filter and slap on that short ram again Just for fun!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:26 PM

Whats the PR stand for and where can I buy it? Looking to keep the cost under $50 for the piping part, I already have the K&N maxflow filter.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:29 PM

I think it stands for Place Racing? But anyways, yes get a CAI don't get a short ram intake. Take this from a guy who switched to stock, the short ram does next to nothing for our car in fact it feels a lot stronger with the stock intake than short ram.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by xj0hnx
I thought the Injen's pipe was a lot longer than that? There's a 96 at the lot here that has an Injen and the filter is down below the transmission.
That's why it's a knockoff, it's styled after the Injen but it doesn't have the exact specs that the Injen has.

Originally Posted by ampire
Whats the PR stand for and where can I buy it? Looking to keep the cost under $50 for the piping part, I already have the K&N maxflow filter.
PR stands for Place Racing. They used to make the only true CAI for us but they fell off the map. The knockoffs are made by Bomz IIRC, just search on eBay they're there.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:11 PM

Holy crap, another intake thread.

Stock Intake.

Clean Air Filter.

/Thread
Old 10-11-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
Holy crap, another intake thread.

Stock Intake.

Clean Air Filter.

/Thread

I think some people are looking for the sound you get from Aftermarket intakes.

I personally wouldn't trade performance for sound, But i can see why some would (The throaty-sound is pretty nice).
Old 10-11-2010, 09:10 PM

performance wise is not what hes asking people. we dont want another "OMGZ WHAT INTAK3 IS DABESTEST" threads

personally if your looking aftermarket go witha bomz they are cheap but just change out the filter. piping is just aluminum it really depends on how much you wanna pay for it.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-forsale.html

here $20 shipped from a reputable orger
Old 10-11-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by hornepirate
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-forsale.html

here $20 shipped from a reputable orger
FAIL.
I do support the .Org, but that is not an intake lolz.

This is the best CAI on ebay for the price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BCP-9...Q5fAccessories

It is the PR knockoff, and requires you to drill the fender to make it a true CAI. Also, id recomend buying a K&N cone once you get this Ebay one so that you know the spec filter to get.
Hope that helped.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by cartman854
I do support the .Org, but that is not an intake lolz.

This is the best CAI on ebay for the price. It is the PR knockoff, and requires you to drill the fender to make it a true CAI. Also, id recomend buying a K&N cone once you get this Ebay one so that you know the spec filter to get.
How is what Russ posted not an intake? It's a mid-pipe, all the OP would need are couplers/clamps and a MAF adaptor since he's already got the K&N filter.

But yeah that's the intake I was talking about, I was just too lazy to get the link off eBay.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by 5150pa
I think some people are looking for the sound you get from Aftermarket intakes.

I personally wouldn't trade performance for sound, But i can see why some would (The throaty-sound is pretty nice).
good point!

Originally Posted by hornepirate
performance wise is not what hes asking people. we dont want another "OMGZ WHAT INTAK3 IS DABESTEST" threads

personally if your looking aftermarket go witha bomz they are cheap but just change out the filter. piping is just aluminum it really depends on how much you wanna pay for it.
another good point!

How is what Russ posted not an intake? It's a mid-pipe, all the OP would need are couplers/clamps and a MAF adaptor since he's already got the K&N filter.

But yeah that's the intake I was talking about, I was just too lazy to get the link off eBay.
great deal!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Dude, its a single piece of pipe lolz. It is a component, and not even the main component because it is not even required. It would be "stupid" to buy that single piece alone unless you had the rest or needed to replace it, as if you did only have that you would spend more money on the other pieces rather than buying it as a set like in the link I already posted where it came with everything ready to go.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:20 PM
ef9

What about modifying the intake box to take some air from the wheel well. I think the cone filter will suck in heat from the engine bay.

What is the part number for the K&N drop in filter for the stock airbox?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by ef9
I think the cone filter will suck in heat from the engine bay.
That's why I told the OP to get the PR style true CAI.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:56 PM
ef9

Oops, sorry, I didn't know what the Place Racing style true CAI.

Time to do some googling.

That's why I told the OP to get the PR style true CAI.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by ef9
Oops, sorry, I didn't know what the Place Racing style true CAI. Time to do some googling.
No need to Google, just search on here. There's probably close to 100 or more threads about the real PR CAI and the knockoff one.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:54 AM

Thanks guys. All good points. I want to clean up the engine bay a little by getting rid of the factory setup and I plan on doing a 3.5 swap later anyway so I will need some piping to start with. Don't care if i lose 2 horsepower or whatever. Ill look into that BCP, looks like you get alot of stuff with that kit. Can anyone else confirm that that BCP actually is a knockoff PR intake? I can't tell based on the pictures of the piping and couplers if it corresponds to the picture where it is "installed".

Last edited by ampire; 10-12-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Turbo 3.5

This is the best CAI on ebay for the price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BCP-9...Q5fAccessories
FYI, this intake is 54.99 shipped and is setup for a 3.0 if he does a 3.5swap the tb is in a different location and will need to be modded to fit the same. I know cause I have a 4.5gen

the OP can get the midpipe and I can throw in a 2.5-3inch coupler for 5bucks and buy a maf adapter for 13.75shipped and the total would still only be 38.75shipped.

btw I also have another peice of 3inch pipe about 6inches long "plastic" and another 3inch coupler I could include and it would still be less than that setup

just my .02
Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by ampire
Thanks guys. All good points. I want to clean up the engine bay a little by getting rid of the factory setup and I plan on doing a 3.5 swap later anyway so I will need some piping to start with. Don't care if i lose 2 horsepower or whatever. Ill look into that BCP, looks like you get alot of stuff with that kit. Can anyone else confirm that that BCP actually is a knockoff PR intake? I can't tell based on the pictures of the piping and couplers if it corresponds to the picture where it is "installed".

btw I had a injen setup and it sucked azz, wrote injen and they never responded. If your planning to do a 3.5swap whichever intake your choose I would make sure the entire piping is 3inches throughout
Old 10-12-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
I think it stands for Place Racing? But anyways, yes get a CAI don't get a short ram intake. Take this from a guy who switched to stock, the short ram does next to nothing for our car in fact it feels a lot stronger with the stock intake than short ram.
yea, a short ram intake doesnt do anything, just noise.
That's why it's a knockoff, it's styled after the Injen but it doesn't have the exact specs that the Injen has.

PR stands for Place Racing. They used to make the only true CAI for us but they fell off the map. The knockoffs are made by Bomz IIRC, just search on eBay they're there.
question? why is this a "true"cai and make it better from the other cai? im just curious.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by MaxiNone
question? why is this a "true"cai and make it better from the other cai? im just curious.
It's a true CAI because it goes into the fender and takes "cold" air from there. There's no other intake that does that.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by NiteShadeX
Stock intake sucks bawlz. I mean if you aren't into modding your car then of course stock is the way to go. But if you are going to mod your car and keep it N/A, CAI is the way to go. Contrary to what most people say on here, every type of aftermarket intake gives you some power gains, even a cheap old short ram. I prefer Injen, it does NOT suck up hot air, many people think it does because the pipe is hot.... no **** the pipe is hot, its in the engine bay right? That doesn't mean the air is hot, it means the pipe is hot, the air comes in from under the tranny, where its not blazing hot but just a little warm. My mid range power dramatically improved with the Injen intake. Fenderwall intakes are also great too.

Don't listen to people saying "getting an intake is trading performance for sound", that is completely ridiculous... you are getting both performance and sound with an intake, and IMO, the intake sounds better than any exhaust for our car due to the unequal length y-pipe, so buy a somewhat quiet exhaust and a CAI and your car will sound sexy. Not the least bit rice, just throaty.

So yeah, you should buy it, or any type of CAI. I actually didn't wanna spend a fortune on Injen, so I bought this knock off from cosmo racing, its the same ****. http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=224&pid=1265
Very nice deal, Thanks for that link
Old 10-12-2010, 07:03 PM

Stock intake sucks bawlz. I mean if you aren't into modding your car then of course stock is the way to go. But if you are going to mod your car and keep it N/A, CAI is the way to go. Contrary to what most people say on here, every type of aftermarket intake gives you some power gains, even a cheap old short ram.
Hey man, not the first time the general masses here have been wrong... If you have some proof to back up what you're saying....
Old 10-12-2010, 07:51 PM

again children...this is not a debate on what intakez are bes. we provided the info the OP needed

/thread
Old 10-12-2010, 09:33 PM

It's a true CAI because it goes into the fender and takes "cold" air from there. There's no other intake that does that.
oohhh, gotcha...
Old 10-12-2010, 10:00 PM
ef9

Is the Place Racing the same company/shop that makes Honda aftermarket parts as well? I remember I bought their motor mount kit for my EF9 back in 1997.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by ef9
Is the Place Racing the same company/shop that makes Honda aftermarket parts as well? I remember I bought their motor mount kit for my EF9 back in 1997.
Yeah I recall them making intakes for Honda's as well, along with other parts.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:09 PM

http://www.cattman.com/img/prod/dsc_...20g5%20cai.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...#ht_2525wt_886

same.

I believe that Cattman bought the PR patent or something on the design of the intake, but they are pretty much the same.
Here is K&N replacment filter # 33-2031-2 for stock air box rectangal filter, its like $50.

Also, if you do buy the eBay one, take the filter down to your local auto parts store, and tell them you want the K&N cone filter identical to the ebay one, that will be like 30-60 bucks depending on the model of KN.

Last edited by cartman854; 10-12-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:18 PM

Proof? I already said dramatic mid range power increase. Come on a little common sense here. This is the only online forum where every single performance mod is deemed useless and does nothing. Get real.

ALL PERFORMANCE MODS INCREASE PERFORMANCE, but most of them only yield a good 5-10 horsepower, so its near impossible to even notice the gain, and because of that everyone on here is like "intake does nothing, headers do nothing, UP does nothing, stock rulezzz".... wrong! The point of modding your car is to MOD EVERYTHING. Also, different types of mods work together, increasing eachother's power gains that either mod can do by themselves.

Hence the saying, "if you are going to do something, and you do it half-a$s, you might as well not do it at all". Intake+Headers+Y-pipe+Test Pipe+Catback+UP+00vi+Suspension+Tires+Brakes+Clutc h Kit would make one mean Maxima.

This forum is so negative. =]
We are real...we talk whp not pipedreamhp

They do nothing because the only real worthwhile power mods are what people focus on
Old 10-13-2010, 12:15 AM

Im talking about how no one cares about your ricer math
Old 10-13-2010, 03:19 AM

If you want to clean up the engine bay but loose a little low end torque and gas mileage then go for the eBay set up with a GOOD filter. Its cheap and effective for what you want it to do.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:16 AM

http://www.cattman.com/img/prod/dsc_...20g5%20cai.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...#ht_2525wt_886

same.

I believe that Cattman bought the PR patent or something on the design of the intake, but they are pretty much the same.
Here is K&N replacment filter # 33-2031-2 for stock air box rectangal filter, its like $50.

Also, if you do buy the eBay one, take the filter down to your local auto parts store, and tell them you want the K&N cone filter identical to the ebay one, that will be like 30-60 bucks depending on the model of KN.
what is the pipe width on the cattman intake, it looks kinda small...
Old 10-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

CAI's true or not have shown to lose power in important areas of the band. Midpipes produce the best gains between both and a hacked airbox prevents lowend and midrange loss. You also need to keep the resonator to keep the airflow from being turbulant going into the manifold.

Yes, this topic has been beaten to death and these are the FACTS due to all of the discussions of what is better.

NiteShadeX's comments are opinion and he clearly doesn't know WTF he's talking about.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by deezo
CAI's true or not have shown to lose power in important areas of the band. Midpipes produce the best gains between both and a hacked airbox prevents lowend and midrange loss. You also need to keep the resonator to keep the airflow from being turbulant going into the manifold.
I was wondering if you'd chime in or not, seeing some of your posts in the OG intake threads. Running a true CAI with the stock resonator instead of the mid-pipe is best. Just ask Dave B, who's tried countless intakes and even liked that set-up over his second favorite; hacked stock airbox with the stock resonator.

But OP didn't even want to know what intake was best lol I just directed him into getting a true CAI > that OBX Injen knockoff.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:33 PM

Is this the same as the PR one?

http://www.amazon.com/1995-1999-Niss...7016109&sr=8-3
Old 10-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
Looks like it lol.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:05 PM

Thanks dude, yeah I don't really care what intake is best, but I would rather not get the injen design based upon the input in this thread. I would say that I have a very high likelihood of doing the 3.5 swap in a few months, I have the funds already.

Quick Reply: OBX Intake (Ebay)