4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Thoughts on Buying Used Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:35 AM

Thoughts on Buying Used Suspension?

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz54/jjwilliamson/Suspension.jpg

According to the seller the items have 39k on them.

Buy or pass?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:41 AM

doesn't he want like 150? kinda pricey for stock stuff.. why not buy new oem equiavalent struts? with a warranty too boot.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by 99greddymax
doesn't he want like 150? kinda pricey for stock stuff.. why not buy new oem equiavalent struts? with a warranty too boot.
Haha you saw that thread too?

Well I think my rear shocks are dying because the car makes nice clunk/thump noises when turning mostly in the rear.I'm pretty cheap and always look for cheap stuff.

Hell I even bought a used T-shirt and sandals off of ebay.

I have not talked to him about the price.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by augnon
Haha you saw that thread too?

Well I think my rear shocks are dying because the car makes nice clunk/thump noises when turning mostly in the rear.I'm pretty cheap and always look for cheap stuff.

Hell I even bought a used T-shirt and sandals off of ebay.

I have not talked to him about the price.
buying used t shirts, sandals off ebay?

if you're cheap go for it..

It's just me, stuff like this is not that expensive new. Also with used stuff esp struts, you don't know if they'll blow in 2 days, 2 wks, 2mos, or 2yrs.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:32 AM

I wd go new on suspension parts. But thats jus me.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:33 AM

i got an old pair of boxers if you wanna buy em, only a couple holes and if you bleach em you might be able to get the **** stains out! pm me an offer!

lol man comeon treat her right buy some good parts or sell your max and buy a GM.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by 99greddymax
buying used t shirts, sandals off ebay?

if you're cheap go for it..

It's just me, stuff like this is not that expensive new. Also with used stuff esp struts, you don't know if they'll blow in 2 days, 2 wks, 2mos, or 2yrs.
Well I have been looking around and a front set with shocks and spring is 250(monroe quick struts)$ I need rears also so thats another 100$.

Originally Posted by Br0nz
i got an old pair of boxers if you wanna buy em, only a couple holes and if you bleach em you might be able to get the **** stains out! pm me an offer!

lol man comeon treat her right buy some good parts or sell your max and buy a GM.
I just bought the car a week ago.I'm always looking for deals but I plan on keeping this car till I'm nearly 30 I'm 22 right now.
Originally Posted by cashoit
I wd go new on suspension parts. But thats jus me.
I was looking at some monroe quick struts but damn I'm cheap.One chick at work told me that I didn't look like I would wine and dine her and she was right probably why we never went out.But she did have a 5 year old son though but she sure did look fine!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:30 AM

hold on....OP, your max a 91? U in the wrong forum brotha
Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 AM

I'm always looking for deals but I plan on keeping this car till I'm nearly 30 I'm 22 right now.
If your planing on keeping it 8 years, you will need to replace the struts again. Are you going to do the install yourself or pay a mechanic to do the replacement? If you paying someone I would buy new parts. I am going to be doing replacement struts in my I30, I will be buying new parts my spare time is too valuable to be doing multiple suspension rebuilds.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
hold on....OP, your max a 91? U in the wrong forum brotha
I need to updated that.I was not able to fix my 91.I have a 95 fully loaded now.

Originally Posted by dgoodhue
If your planing on keeping it 8 years, you will need to replace the struts again. Are you going to do the install yourself or pay a mechanic to do the replacement? If you paying someone I would buy new parts. I am going to be doing replacement struts in my I30, I will be buying new parts my spare time is too valuable to be doing multiple suspension rebuilds.
I'm debating the winter is coming up as you know.We both live in MA.Someville/Cambridge/Medford myself.I want to change them my self and all the suspension stuff myself but the weather has me worried for example it is raining today.

Do you know of any good deals for front and rear sus.The best I've found in rock auto with the monroe quick struts and rears.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:45 AM

i have used the quick struts and i love them. i dont have them on my max now but when my current ones die i will replace with em. plus cant go wrong with:

Limited Lifetime Warranty

Tenneco Inc. warrants qualifying Monroe® products against defects and wear-out when used on private passenger cars and light trucks under normal operating conditions for as long as such original purchaser owns the vehicle on which they were originally installed

...if you are keeping the car for a longtime. i am cheap too! very... however certain things i believe its worth it to pay more. like a car i had in the past the T-stat was hard to get to so i bought the dealer part so i didnt have to replace it again woulda been 10 buck but cost me 25 from dealer. but not having to do it again and not blowing the engine if it failed when the wife was driving (lol) is worth it!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:03 AM

ohh and i alway double-check rockauto with amazon. like check this out!

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-171293-...2574938&sr=1-1
Old 08-23-2010, 08:19 AM

I'm debating the winter is coming up as you know.We both live in MA.Someville/Cambridge/Medford myself.I want to change them my self and all the suspension stuff myself but the weather has me worried for example it is raining today.

Do you know of any good deals for front and rear sus.The best I've found in rock auto with the monroe quick struts and rears.
It won't be raining all year IMO The spring and fall is the best time to this work. Sweating all over everything on hot summer day, just makes it all that much more difficult.

I haven't decided what struts I am going to use. If you don't need new springs, you could save some money by reusing those. I am new to my I30 as well, so I am not sure if spring is replacement is highly recommended. I know my car sure doesn't seem like its sagging

BTW Rock Auto has 5% discount code good until Oct 10th

"37684753103605

Using Your Discount Code

Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

Please note: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks."
Old 08-23-2010, 09:30 AM

"37684753103605

Using Your Discount Code

Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

."
yup used it three times in the past couple days!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 AM

Tnx I didn't know the head quick rears also.

It won't be raining all year IMO The spring and fall is the best t
ime to this work. Sweating all over everything on hot summer day, just makes it all that much more difficult.

I haven't decided what struts I am going to use. If you don't need new springs, you could save some money by reusing those. I am new to my I30 as well, so I am not sure if spring is replacement is highly recommended. I know my car sure doesn't seem like its sagging

"37684753103605

Using Your Discount Code

Please note: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks."
The front quick struts look easy to do but the rear struts worry me.

I'm thinking about going with the Monroes and doing them myself.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:28 AM

but the rear struts worry me.
What worry's you about the rear?

The couple links in the FAQ make the F/R Struts looks pretty straight forward. My last car the rear brake line went thought the struts (no clips) and the rear sway bar links were attach to the strut and the hardware was to far gone to disconnect, so it in involve cutting them out on Northern cars.

Last edited by dgoodhue; 08-23-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Tnx I didn't know the head quick rears also.

It won't be raining all year IMO The spring and fall is the best t
ime to this work. Sweating all over everything on hot summer day, just makes it all that much more difficult.

"37684753103605

Using Your Discount Code

The front quick struts look easy to do but the rear struts worry me.

I'm thinking about going with the Monroes and doing them myself.