4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Low cost sound deadening.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 04:35 PM

Low cost sound deadening.

Did allot of research of all the current products available and found a few interesting things.

Dynomat is bloated and overpriced. For nearly the same product you can buy peel N seal which is nearly identical in composition and was created for roofing.

This got me onto a hunch. Looked into it and found out that back in the day, when cars were big block beasts with significantly more vibration and sound, manufacturers would use asphalt based roll roofing to sound deaden the cars. I tested this out, since I already had my interior out of my car to paint it black to match the leather seats I just restored, by taking out the sunroof panel that slides back and forth. I tapped it and listened to the sound it produced. Noisy, rattling, aluminum sound. I placed a sheet of aluminum foil against the side that faces up toward the roof of the car, glued it in place, then glued a smaller piece of 30 weight roll roofing in the center of the aluminum to create a damper. Over the entire thing I laid a large piece of 30 weight and glued it down. I lined it with some tape I had laying around (medical cloth tape,) and painted it with vinyl/fabric paint. Looked better than factory and reduced noise SIGNIFICANTLY.

Going to see how it works for the rest of the car.

As it is, it looks like it would cost roughly 10 cents per square foot using this method of backing asphalt roll roofing with aluminum foil.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:46 PM

Asphalt sound deadning material will smell like asphalt during a hot summer day. There are cheap alternative to dynomat (and you want one that has a good adhesive), but leave the roofing products to the roofers.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:35 PM

How much does it weigh?
Old 08-22-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by dgoodhue
Asphalt sound deadning material will smell like asphalt during a hot summer day. There are cheap alternative to dynomat (and you want one that has a good adhesive), but leave the roofing products to the roofers.
I'm overcoming that by letting it cook in a few hot days with the interior out. So far so good.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by bamboomerang
How much does it weigh?
Not too much. A whole roll can be picked up with one arm. Probably 30 pounds total.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:59 PM

OMG

... Hmm, didn't i make a thread about this months ago?

Lemme find it.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:04 PM

I do a lot of systems and thats not really worth it. Tighten up everything get double sided tape for ur license plate. not the cheap one either. Also loosen the trunk latch and knock it down. so the the trunk shuts tighter.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:09 PM

A lot of debate on Peel & Seal. Car audio products manufacturers are very active on car forums and spread a lot of FUD; it's not entirely unwarranted, but it's not always as bad as they make it out to be.

I Peel & Seal'd my front doors, but started with a thorough cleaning and sealed the edges and seams up with aluminum HVAC tape. Through what has been a disgustingly hot and humid summer, I haven't smelled an inkling of tar. I also stuffed the door panels with Frost King, google it for more info.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:13 PM

I'm gonna look more into sound deadening products since I just realized my trunk rattles a lot..