4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1999 I30 Not starting, video included. FPR changed

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 AM

1999 I30 Not starting, video included. FPR changed

Having some problems starting my '99 I30... A couple of weeks ago it did this cranking and not starting issue ... So I researched and read that the solution may be in replacing the FPR, so I changed that last week and its been starting fine since... But this morning, it did it again. Could it be the starter?

Here is a video of the sound it makes while cranking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM2-MaMWBRU

--Update for anyone finding this in a "search"...There is good information below on what to check for, but my cure was a new battery... Who woulda thunk ---

9/2/10 New update: Cranked like the video again,,, had to push on gas pedal a couple of times while cranking before it finally started.

Last edited by speed3000gt; 09-02-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:45 PM

she not gettin fuel... all you getting any codes? starter sound fine

Last edited by najee1062; 08-21-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:48 PM

The starter sounds fine and the cranking speed sounds good. you'll have to check other things.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Willing to learn

Immobilizer - 99% chance if there is no fuel delivery.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:47 PM

Check the fuel pump.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:50 PM

ok my max had a similar problem, I changed the ignition switch, spark plugs and a bunch of other stuff. turns out, the big fix was the Temperature sensor. It would crank forever and slowly kick to a start if it felt like it. it would smell like gas and act terrible. Try for a temperature sensor.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:57 PM

does your security LED stay on?
Old 08-22-2010, 12:49 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Starter seems fine, I'm gonna agree with the others on the fuel issue... New FPR or used?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Starter seems fine, I'm gonna agree with the others on the fuel issue... New FPR or used?
AutoZone FPR...

Gonna see if the fuel pump is working today.

On a side note, would bad coils cause this? I've had random misfires/stumbles while idling over the past 6 months but the car never died so I just lived with it.

oldngivout : How can I check if its the immobilizer?
shadyonedeath: Sometimes it does, didn't notice if it did yesterday.. Ill go check.

najee1062: No codes are being shot out.

Nismo95Max : Where is the temperature sensor?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:14 AM

spray some starter fluid or brake fluid in the intake manifold then try to start it and let me kno what happens
Old 08-22-2010, 08:29 AM

Hey make sure you check all the fuses in the engine bay near the battery. Specifically there's 1 or 2 that I have in mind but I cant seem to find the picture I took but I wanna say they're labeled as ECCS and there's two of them. Check those to make sure they're in the correct location as well as not blown. I'm gonna go through my computer to see if I can find em.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by TurboA32
spray some starter fluid or brake fluid in the intake manifold then try to start it and let me kno what happens

don't do this.

Brake fluid? Wtf is wrong with you?
Old 08-22-2010, 09:15 AM

I just checked, there is fuel in the lines... I'll check the fuses now.

I dont know if this could have messed any electronic part up ( or cause to work harder) but when I replaced my FPR last week, I used a "screw tightening" clamp rather than the pinch head clamp which caused a slight fluid leak from one of the fuel lines to the rail.. I drove with it (unknowingly for about a day)... Meaning the system wasnt completely pressurized for that day or two.. Would this make the fuel pump or some other component work harder in trying to build pressure?

Now my battery died from cranking and cranking over the past day and a half. So when I turn the key on ( without jump starting it) there is a weak noise coming from the engine bay ( like one of the electronic parts isnt getting enough battery power since its half dead) What is that part??? I tryed using a stethescope and couldn't pin point it, but it looks like a big round metal part under the air intake pipe with bolts screwed around it.. No 100% sure that was the part though.. Just sounded louder when i put my steth on it.

I dont know anything about starts, but could it be that some part of it is spinning nicely but some other part isn't, which is tricking our ears? It sounds like something isn't catching.

Well I just dismantled the car to check the FPR, and im gonna put it back. Ill check back later.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Kevlo for President

Is there a green key on the dash when you try to start or a blinking security light?
Old 08-22-2010, 09:23 AM

1. Check your fuses.

2. Ignore the noise when your turn on the car, its normal. Its probably your IACV clicking.

3. When you turn the key to the ON position, does the Security LED stay lit? If so, your car is immobilized. If it turns off, your fine.

4. Check your damn fuses. Either your injector fuses or your fuel pump.

Don't post back until you've done this.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:27 AM

check all your gound wires, especially the tranny ground and clean the connections. are you sure that you are getting fuel? can you hear the fuel pump whine and click on when you turn the key to acc?

listen for that weak noise under the rear seats, if its a whine and a click its the fuel pump.

did you plug all the sensors in after replacing the fpr? especially the maf? and the 2 on the throttle body?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:20 AM

Checked all the fuses, they are good. It ran fine the previous night, came and parked and no start.

I haven't checked the ground wires yet.

The security light goes off when i put it in "on position".

Since theres fuel in the lines, how do I check the spark next? Theres no way that all coils could go bad at the same time, right?

Don't know if this helps at all, but when I would turn the AC on full blast and then turn my lights on, the inside clock would dim as well as the headlights if it was night. Could the alternator have been slowly dying causing the battery not to put out enough cranking amps and now finally the battery is dead with these 100+ days in TX?

Car only has 126k . Also, just to mention, the cause that made me replace the FPR still happened 2 days after I replaced it ( week and half ago).. So it was something else, I just ignored to look into it till now...

Probably a bad ground, Im gonna go look at all of them now.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2010, 10:24 AM

probably your injectors. I dont know how i30 immobilizers work but the symptoms lead me to believe the injectors power is being cut.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:18 PM

IT ENDED UP BEiNG THE DAMN BATTERY!! WTF? How did it crank in the video if the battery was bad? Anyway, new Wally world battery, 800 amps (same price as a 650amp) , starts right up now.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
don't do this.

Brake fluid? Wtf is wrong with you?
If you fixed cars mechanics use brake cleaner if no starter fluid is available, its a test to see if your getting fuel if the car starts its a fuel issue never had a problem (he ment brake cleaner)

Last edited by 96sleepergle; 08-22-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
probably your injectors. I dont know how i30 immobilizers work but the symptoms lead me to believe the injectors power is being cut.
i30 &maxima = same use same engine and electronics. Imobilizer cuts the injector pulse
Old 08-22-2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by 96sleepergle
If you fixed cars mechanics use brake cleaner if no starter fluid is available, its a test to see if your getting fuel if the car starts its a fuel issue never had a problem (he ment brake cleaner)
some may know what he meant and some may not. I also said WTH brake fluid... There are noobs, the novice, and experts here. You never what to give a noob that kind of mishaps.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 AM

Got an update... This morning, after about 2 weeks after replacing the battery and thinking the problem was gone, it did the same cranking as the video in the first post... I tried 3 times, but on the 3rd I kept pushing on and off the gas pedal and it finally started.

I read a thread similar to this, gonna go search for it and see why it happens after sitting all night... Through out the day it starts fine...
Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 AM

U check yur grounds man?

Jus clean em. It makes a world of difference
Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by speed3000gt
Got an update... This morning, after about 2 weeks after replacing the battery and thinking the problem was gone, it did the same cranking as the video in the first post... I tried 3 times, but on the 3rd I kept pushing on and off the gas pedal and it finally started.

I read a thread similar to this, gonna go search for it and see why it happens after sitting all night... Through out the day it starts fine...
This is not an FPR issue. If it were the FPR, the car would take long to start but it would start and die right away. Yours does not do this at all. You replaced your battery and the car cranked up right away for a few weeks and back to square one. This would definitely point to grounding...

Remove your battery and the tray. Clean both grounding contacts where the negative wire goes on the engine and under the battery tray. Also, take a scrubbing pad and clean off the terminal connector itself to the battery and see what happens.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 PM

No not yet, I'll try to get to that today.

But I was wondering what the sensor is on the timing cover? I have oil in mine.. what problems can that cause? The connector has some oil in it too.
Heres A picture... how the heck did oil get in there??

Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM

No not yet, I'll try to get to that today.

But I was wondering what the sensor is on the timing cover? I have oil in mine.. what problems can that cause? The connector has some oil in it too.
Heres A picture... how the heck did oil get in there??

That is the CPS (Camshaft Position Sensor). That sensor is for fuel timing...when to fire the injectors. There is an o-ring on the sensor once removed. You have to replace it to stop the leak. Not sure how oil got in the sensor but clean it out. If you had no CEL, it was making good contact anyways.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:10 PM

I took off the CPS and there was NO o-ring ! That might explain why there was oil in there....... After I checked the CPS and screwed it back in and connected it, I wanted to do a quick experiment... I turned the car on, cranked on fine... Then I disconnected the connector off the CPS and what do you know?? Same cranking sound as the video ! So I'm assuming either my CPS is going bad or all that oil in there is sometimes clogging the connection.

Im so happy the root of all evil has been found in my car.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:17 PM

I took off the CPS and there was NO o-ring ! That might explain why there was oil in there....... After I checked the CPS and screwed it back in and connected it, I wanted to do a quick experiment... I turned the car on, cranked on fine... Then I disconnected the connector off the CPS and what do you know?? Same cranking sound as the video ! So I'm assuming either my CPS is going bad or all that oil in there is sometimes clogging the connection.

Im so happy the root of all evil has been found in my car.
When you disconnected it and started your car, your CEL should have illuminated. Also, if you were to take it for a spin, you would know when that sensor is bad. The car will take long to pick up since it has to use the CKPS REF sensor for fuel timing...If you had no CEL, I wouldn't get so happy yet...
Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
When you disconnected it and started your car, your CEL should have illuminated. Also, if you were to take it for a spin, you would know when that sensor is bad. The car will take long to pick up since it has to use the CKPS REF sensor for fuel timing...If you had no CEL, I wouldn't get so happy yet...
Oh shoot... I couldn't see if a CEL would come on because the car didn't start without it connected. The next time my car doesn't start, I'm going to fidget with the CPS and see if that lets the car start quicker.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:39 PM
SLOW

i'd check your battery connectors, make sure the connectors themselves are not cracked, are nice and clean (use a wire brush or battery terminal/connector cleaning brush), and are securely fastened.

i had some odd starting behaviors for a long time before I finally realized one of my ring connectors was cracked, and was thus not snugly tightened on my battery terminal.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:16 PM

Happened again! Crank crank crank crank no start... Crank crank crank crank crank no start..

Did this 3 times this morning and I decided to finally clean the ground wire.... removed battery and tray, cleaned the ground and the connections on the starter just while I was down there. put everything back together and No start....... Left it till the afternoon, came back and tried cranking again, pushing on and off the gas pedal and eventually it started.. This time though
the check engine light came on.. Code was for the Camshaft position sensor. Could it have been because I was messing with it yesterday? I cleaned some oil that was on inside it ( previous post's picture).

I got a 4 gauge wire to use as an additional ground, just incase thats the underlying problem. About to install it when the sun goes down a little more.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
i'd check your battery connectors, make sure the connectors themselves are not cracked, are nice and clean (use a wire brush or battery terminal/connector cleaning brush), and are securely fastened.

i had some odd starting behaviors for a long time before I finally realized one of my ring connectors was cracked, and was thus not snugly tightened on my battery terminal.
Oh and the battery terminals are new. One was cracked, but after replacing, the problem still exists.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:50 PM

The CEL might've been caused due to you leaving the cam sensor unplugged. Are you 100% ALL grounds are plugged AND clean? My 97 used to start just like yours and it was a disconnected ground.

click on the engine picture to see the video and then the after video as well.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...eak-start.html
Old 09-04-2010, 05:31 PM

Happened again! Crank crank crank crank no start... Crank crank crank crank crank no start..

Did this 3 times this morning and I decided to finally clean the ground wire.... removed battery and tray, cleaned the ground and the connections on the starter just while I was down there. put everything back together and No start....... Left it till the afternoon, came back and tried cranking again, pushing on and off the gas pedal and eventually it started.. This time though
the check engine light came on.. Code was for the Camshaft position sensor. Could it have been because I was messing with it yesterday? I cleaned some oil that was on inside it ( previous post's picture).

I got a 4 gauge wire to use as an additional ground, just incase thats the underlying problem. About to install it when the sun goes down a little more.
Yes the code came on because you messed with it. Clear the code and pull out your multimeter. Remove the CKPS REF sensor under the crank pulley and measure the resistance and get back to us with results...
Old 09-04-2010, 07:47 PM

I'm going out of town tomorrow. Also, forgot to mention that I drove the car about 60 miles yesterday after un plugging and plugging the camshaft position sensor.
I installed a 4 guage cable from the negative terminal to the tranny an hour ago, is that right? The car is starting fine for now ( minus the CEL), we'll see in the morning if its back to square one.