4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

bad head gasket, or waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:39 AM

bad head gasket, or waterpump

hey a friend of mine with a 99 had an overheating problem. she brought it to pep boys, and they replaced the thermostat and did a flush. the car still overheated.

so we replaced the thermostat again, and it overheated again. so i disassembled the old thermostat and tried to use blue devil's head gasket sealant. the car ran FINE. no overheating whatsoever.

so i go put yet another thermostat in, and guess what...it overheats again! so currently the car is running without a thermostat, not overheating. it doesnt leak coolant and there is no white smoke from the muffler. we replaced the radiator cap too. i went to drain the coolant from the car after it ran for almost an hour. as i removed the drain plug, the coolant was cool, then after draining for a few seconds, it was hot as it continued to drain out. i thought the radiator may be clogged, but when the thermostat is removed, coolant indeed runs thru the lower hose and the car runs fine..

does this sound like a headgasket, or waterpump problem?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:38 PM

I'd look at the possibility of an obstructed rad before either the WP or HG, especially if it's the original.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:48 PM

does the overheating happen randomly? could be water pump or just a air bubble in ur system
Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 PM

I'd say a WP before HG but sometimes the stat's get stuck closed when there new, so I boil it in pot of water before I install.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Well, I dont see the reason for having gone through so many thermostats. If its still overheating after a tstat, its obviously something else.

First thing, how many miles on the 99? how long has she owned the car? has she ever had the waterpump replaced? is the coolant nice and green or brown?

Chances are its time to replace the waterpump but after all those overheats, I hope she pulled over and allowed the engine to cool down otherwise its gonna be a head gasket.

So here's what I say
1- As is, bleed the coolant system (I assume you know how)
2- if still over heating, inspect WP, if bad, replace.
3- Bleed
4- If still over heating, get a headgasket test to see if its blown
http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...ype=T&cat=2477
Old 08-19-2010, 01:42 PM

Are the Electric Fans coming on?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sometimes it can be the radiator being clogged so the water isnt flushing through the system causing the car to overheat
Old 08-20-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by barnone
I'd look at the possibility of an obstructed rad before either the WP or HG, especially if it's the original.
its been replaced before (the rad)

Originally Posted by musictech55
does the overheating happen randomly? could be water pump or just a air bubble in ur system
no it happens only when any thermostat is put in at all times

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
I'd say a WP before HG but sometimes the stat's get stuck closed when there new, so I boil it in pot of water before I install.
i know, but i didnt think that 2 new ones in a row plus the one in her car before this happened would be go bad
Originally Posted by boneebone
Are the Electric Fans coming on?
yeah they do when necessary
Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Well, I dont see the reason for having gone through so many thermostats. If its still overheating after a tstat, its obviously something else.

First thing, how many miles on the 99? how long has she owned the car? has she ever had the waterpump replaced? is the coolant nice and green or brown?

Chances are its time to replace the waterpump but after all those overheats, I hope she pulled over and allowed the engine to cool down otherwise its gonna be a head gasket.

So here's what I say
1- As is, bleed the coolant system (I assume you know how)
2- if still over heating, inspect WP, if bad, replace.
3- Bleed
4- If still over heating, get a headgasket test to see if its blown
http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...ype=T&cat=2477
the car has like 160k miles, i dont think she had the car for more than 1 year, but her bro in law did a bunch of maintenance including new coils, and a few other things. she said the car hadnt gone near "H" on her gauge cluster, but had in fact risen above normal. the whole front end including radiator was replaced due to a past accident, after pep boys did a flush, it was still green 2 days later when i tried to use the head gasket sealer (i had to drain it)...but they did say it was mixed w oil...and they did a rad cap pressure test.

but with those miles, i'd say waterpump as well.

thanks to all of you, i will see what she wants to do and keep you posted if she wants to fix the car at all
Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

oil in the the radiator is a sign of a bad head gasket or warped head, just incase you didnt know
Old 09-22-2010, 07:07 PM

check ur expansion plugs behind the timing chain cover, u have three and its a pita!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:36 PM

when they cold start the car and it makes a squealing noise for a couple of seconds, its water pump, trust me I had to learn the hard way