4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Broken bolt on lower intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:45 AM

Broken bolt on lower intake manifold

Had to replace my knock sensor and my hands are too large to fit in the crevice so I decided to do it the old fashioned way and follow the repair manual. The bolt sticking up in the number 1 position on the tightening sequence of the lower intake manifold broke off when i was only halfway to torquing it to spec. The rest of the bolts had gone on fine, and it was after I had completed the sequence and was doing step three of checking if they were all secure with minimal pressure. Apparently that one was faulty from sitting in a maxima for a million years.

My question is will I have a major vacuum leak with one of the 8 bolts, specifically the #1 position on the tightening sequence, broken so long as the other's were perfectly to spec?

I have no idea how to fix this and truthfully don't have time or $$$ for another major repair.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:04 AM

You MIGHT be able to get away with it.....but maybe not. You might wanna try seeing if you could possibly drill it out.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Snypa
You MIGHT be able to get away with it.....but maybe not. You might wanna try seeing if you could possibly drill it out.

I decided to wing it for now and look towards fixing it in a few months. I guess I'll find out tonight when I fire it up whether or not it's going to run worth a ****.

To top it all off I lost one of the bolts for my egr guide tube.

I should be beaten, repeatedly, by someone who knows how.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 AM

Alright, car is back together and acting strange. :P Life sux.

It starts great, takes a jump in rpms when it starts, then the tach bounces up, sputter sputter, drops down, bounces up a little less, sputter sputter, drops down, adn eventually dies.

I am wondering if this is because i spilled a large quantity of fuel out overnight from the hoses I disconnected in my half asleep stupor working on the car two nights ago or if it is because of a vacuum leak. No high pitch whining noise coming from the engine just sputter sputter jump sputter sputter jump sputter sputter dies.

Perhaps I hooked something up wrong? ideas?
Old 08-07-2010, 11:09 AM

I should also mention I cleaned everything while I had it apart.

I may have reconnected the tps or other sensors incorrectly in the process.

Specifically concerned about the one that had a spring in it.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:50 PM

I have two spun bolts in my upper intake manifold that im try to figure out how to fix and iv been driving it for a week now.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by defiance
I have two spun bolts in my upper intake manifold that im try to figure out how to fix and iv been driving it for a week now.
So far I'm thinking I don't have a vacuum leak issue, I think it's my IACV, TPS, MAF, or some such. Runs quite smooth when you give it gas. It just seems to be an idle issue sending the vehicle down aroudn 100rpm with an unavoidable shutdown
Old 08-07-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by jasonaaronfox
Had to replace my knock sensor and my hands are too large to fit in the crevice so I decided to do it the old fashioned way and follow the repair manual. The bolt sticking up in the number 1 position on the tightening sequence of the lower intake manifold broke off when i was only halfway to torquing it to spec. The rest of the bolts had gone on fine, and it was after I had completed the sequence and was doing step three of checking if they were all secure with minimal pressure. Apparently that one was faulty from sitting in a maxima for a million years.

My question is will I have a major vacuum leak with one of the 8 bolts, specifically the #1 position on the tightening sequence, broken so long as the other's were perfectly to spec?

I have no idea how to fix this and truthfully don't have time or $$$ for another major repair.
Don't be lazy my friend and have to do this again during the winter. GO to sears and get an EZ-out kit and get that out of there.

As for your EGR tube bolt missing, that also will need replacing because any leak from there means you will be using more gas.

For the starting issue, when you say you flodded it with fuel, did you remove the fuse for the fuel pump and allow the car to die before starting this project? Well seeing that it did started, it should have burned off anyways..but you should attempt to restart and check for codes.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
As for your EGR tube bolt missing, that also will need replacing because any leak from there means you will be using more gas.
This is your problem

with only one bolt you WILL have a slight vac and and for the stripped bolt on the LIM you MIGHT be able to get away with it but more than likely youll need to solve that. get a tap and die set and re thread it. If you snapped the bolt/nut buy another that will fit a m8 bolt.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 PM

It was the IACV. W00T!