4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Error code help - 1446

Old 08-06-2010, 05:45 AM

Error code help - 1446

I started the old girl 4th generation SE today with 150K and the check engine light was on. Got out my code reader and 2 codes came up. 1446 and 450

Any ideas, suggestions and what parts do I need to replace?

Thanks for your help.

JTM
Old 08-06-2010, 06:39 AM

check your vent valve on the charcoal canister (by the left rear wheel).
the valve is probably not actuating like it should. Unplug it from the harness and give it 12v (positive to the left pin, negative to the right) and listen for it to click. If it doesn't, you can try puttin some wd-40 inside and letting it soak for a bit, then using a flat-head screwdriver, pull up on the lever inside the valve. if it starts moving freely, do the 12v test again.
If the valve does click, and after resetting the ecu you still get the codes, check the connector plug that goes into the valve. grab a multimeter and stick the + into the left pin and negative to any good ground around that area (bolt, etc). with the key in on position, the reading should be around 12 + volts, twist the connector a little to see if the voltage changes any. if it does, you can either try cleaning it or just finding a new connector at the junk yard or on here.

p.s. my bet, the valve is just dirty, esp. if the car was sitting for a while.

p.p.s. before doing the 12v test, try blowing thru the valve - the air should pass freely. once you apply 12v to it, it should shut it off.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by 99zx2
check your vent valve on the charcoal canister (by the left rear wheel).
the valve is probably not actuating like it should. Unplug it from the harness and give it 12v (positive to the left pin, negative to the right) and listen for it to click. If it doesn't, you can try puttin some wd-40 inside and letting it soak for a bit, then using a flat-head screwdriver, pull up on the lever inside the valve. if it starts moving freely, do the 12v test again.
If the valve does click, and after resetting the ecu you still get the codes, check the connector plug that goes into the valve. grab a multimeter and stick the + into the left pin and negative to any good ground around that area (bolt, etc). with the key in on position, the reading should be around 12 + volts, twist the connector a little to see if the voltage changes any. if it does, you can either try cleaning it or just finding a new connector at the junk yard or on here.

p.s. my bet, the valve is just dirty, esp. if the car was sitting for a while.

p.p.s. before doing the 12v test, try blowing thru the valve - the air should pass freely. once you apply 12v to it, it should shut it off.
Yup!

They may be dirty or clogged. If u got tha cash then jus replace em. If not clean em out.