4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just Got My Maxima Started After Sitting For 2 years!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:55 AM

Just Got My Maxima Started After Sitting For 2 years!!

So I moved to NYC a few years ago and my 96 has been sitting in my parents driveway since I left. I started the car here and there over the 2 years but never really drove it. I hate to say it, but I just let it go. I kind of forgot about it. Anyways, it wasn't starting. I used to have a hard start problem back when I was driving it. It happened ever since I replaced my clutch.

Yesterday I got here and the car wouldn't start. It would crank and try but no start. After killing a battery and making sure I had spark and compression I realized that I didn't hear the fuel pump click on. I checked the fuel lines and there wasn't even any gas in them. Headed over to the nearest auto parts store, which happened to be autozone, and bought a new fuel pump. Got home and installed it in 10 mins and and turned the key. It took a few minutes but my maxima chocked a bit, back fired the started right up! she lives!! I couldn't believe it.

Now to the reason for my post, I need the community's opinions: I'm going to be driving the car in the next month and I need to get it running and driving its best. I did an oil change, fuel pump, fuel filter. I don't need new spark plugs because the ones in the car look brand new still. I do need to get a new y-pipe because there's a big hole in my flex pipe. Once I get a new y-pipe I have to go to the dmv and get the car re-registered which means it will have to pass inspection. I'm not worried about passing, there was nothing wrong with the car previously.

What else should I do to get the car running its best after sitting for so long??
Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 AM

Check the distributer cap, spark plugs, battery, starter and alternator. And also how dare you let go of a Maxima for 2 years?!?!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 AM

LOL @ distributer cap rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i'm trying to think of the name of the product, but i know its good for old gas...someone may chime in with it. but maybe seafoam...transmission fluid, flush radiator, check brakes, brake lines, all lines, just make sure nothing is dry rotted and clean it up and drive
Old 08-02-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim

and i'm trying to think of the name of the product, but i know its good for old gas...someone may chime in with it. but maybe seafoam...transmission fluid, flush radiator, check brakes, brake lines, all lines, just make sure nothing is dry rotted and clean it up and drive
Possibly heet?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim

sta-bil.

To the op, you're not gonna be able to tell till you drive it. report back when you think something is wrong. other than what you posted, just make sure your brakes and tires are good to go. as long as you can stop, you can always get towed home if something leaves you stranded.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:51 AM

iso-heet i believe is the one i used..but yea i think sta-bil is another
Old 08-02-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mas324
And also how dare you let go of a Maxima for 2 years?!?!

moved to nyc 3 years ago and drove my maxima in for one day. came back at nite and the car was gone. called the cops and they said they towed it for safe keeping. windows were smashed and the ignition was punched. thankfully the losers that tried to take the car couldnt get it started and killed the battery. one day in nyc and 2500 in damage.

so yea, i kept the car at my parents house in ct. no one touched it. no one drove it. it just sat there nice and safe.

i drove it around the neighborhood today after an oil change and all seems to be running fine. no smoke, even after first start from sitting for 2 years.

i made this post because i wasnt sure if there are things you should change or look into if a car has been sitting for an extended period of time.

when i turn the key it doesnt always turn over right away. it takes 3 to 4 tries then fires right up. i did have a starting problem before where the starter would just turn but the car wouldnt start. thats what happened when the car was almost stolen, they turned the starter so much it killed the battery. anyone have any suggestions to the starting problem?
i installed 3 grounding wires and that seemed to help a little. does cleaning iacv and throttle body help that? thats what im gonna do next i think
Old 08-02-2010, 08:03 PM

well, sitting for so long i would check the engine bay for infestations.. Make sure lines and wires are not chewed on, add some new grounds, clean the MAF, IACV, TB, and EGR and i think you'll be good to go. Check all the lines for the EVAP and Fuel too.. I recently had an rodent of some variety chew through my fuel line... lost alot of gas and the car ran like crap..
Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Swazey
moved to nyc 3 years ago and drove my maxima in for one day. came back at nite and the car was gone. called the cops and they said they towed it for safe keeping. windows were smashed and the ignition was punched. thankfully the losers that tried to take the car couldnt get it started and killed the battery. one day in nyc and 2500 in damage.

so yea, i kept the car at my parents house in ct. no one touched it. no one drove it. it just sat there nice and safe.

i drove it around the neighborhood today after an oil change and all seems to be running fine. no smoke, even after first start from sitting for 2 years.

i made this post because i wasnt sure if there are things you should change or look into if a car has been sitting for an extended period of time.

when i turn the key it doesnt always turn over right away. it takes 3 to 4 tries then fires right up. i did have a starting problem before where the starter would just turn but the car wouldnt start. thats what happened when the car was almost stolen, they turned the starter so much it killed the battery. anyone have any suggestions to the starting problem?
i installed 3 grounding wires and that seemed to help a little. does cleaning iacv and throttle body help that? thats what im gonna do next i think
Three or four turns to start the car up sounds like the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) to me.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:25 AM

thanks everyone for the input. looks like i have some work to do. i will be working on my car for the next few weeks and ill keep you posted.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:14 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

How much fuel was left in the tank for two years??? I would go to a shop and have them pump the tank dry. Even with Sta-bil, or any product, there is a possibility of varnish in your system. Do you want to gamble with your pump and injectors?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:01 PM

As far as I know there is no product that will restore old gas after the fact. If it was ethanol blended you have about 50% water at the bottom and a corrosive turpintine like liquid at the top. Pull the back seat, pull the pump/sender and siphon that crap out your self for free.

If it runs fine dont worry about the fuel, just stay close to home and fill up soon.

Sounds like you have an ign switch issue, does the solenoid click when you try to start?

Last edited by asand1; 08-04-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Gram Lights addict

hard start after new clutch is because of dirty mating surface between trans and engine block. sand both down so the car gets grounded properly. guarnatee u this