4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what could be rattling in rear shocks area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:34 AM

what could be rattling in rear shocks area?

i had a shop put new shocks in the rear of my 95 maxima and the noise went away and slowly came back, it sounds like a loose bolt or loose hubcaps. i even took off my hubcaps and noise is still their kinda sounds like caliper is rattling every bump i hit soft or hard it rattles sounds like crap.

i jacked it up and knocked the hell out of the tire with hammer and cant hear it even when jacked down cant find out this problem. they told me bad shocks cause rattle noises from under the car but their new now. its comming from the rear driver side tire i can open my door and hear it loud.

what could it be? thanks
Old 07-31-2010, 12:28 PM

it could be your rear bearings are wearing out. Not saying that is definitely the cause, but a good possibility. If the springs are not put back to eliminate noise (can't recall the correct phrase right now......anti rattle clips?) then your calipers can jostle about freely. I recall when I did my brakes there were small springs that fitted onto the brake pads. Basically, when the brakes were released, they would press the pads into the caliper. Were those not refitted, it could cause some noise.

Since you took it to a shop, they should take you and the car for a test drive and give you a plausible explanation for their botched job and a solution that makes sense(and they don't charge you for it), or they are not worth any repeat business. I'm just a shade tree DIYer and I've not had any issues with noise after a brake pad change. If they try to charge you money for completing a badly done job, they deserve a boot in the a$$.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:47 PM

well they did a good job the noise was their every since day one when i bought it 50k miles ago, the rear pads i never changed only the fronts are new, their is damn good shape and rotors, the noise sounds exactly like a loose hubcap or loose caliper but everything is tight. the noise went away for a while but its back now that was first time i heard my car roll down the road so quiet and now its back damnit.

i dont know how else to see where its comming from besides drive and walk next to it,
Old 07-31-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
well they did a good job the noise was their every since day one when i bought it 50k miles ago, the rear pads i never changed only the fronts are new, their is damn good shape and rotors, the noise sounds exactly like a loose hubcap or loose caliper but everything is tight. the noise went away for a while but its back now that was first time i heard my car roll down the road so quiet and now its back damnit.

i dont know how else to see where its comming from besides drive and walk next to it,
I know your frustration on this issue as I am having the same thing as well. Replaced with new struts and the noise came back. I took out my jack and the noise is still there. I know for sure its not the wheel bearings which leaves me with two options: either the calipers or the sway bar and lateral link needs replacing. (I already did the calipers and that noise is still there) which makes me think its the sway bar and the lateral link. If someone has found a solution, please let us know.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 PM

sure will, and where is the rear sway bar? cause i looked under their thinking their was one and it broke or something but isn't nothing.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:38 PM

sure will, and where is the rear sway bar? cause i looked under their thinking their was one and it broke or something but isn't nothing.
Its just a sway bar link. It is located inside of the lateral link. Its a short silver pieve with two bushings.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:11 PM

mines 95 i dont think it has one. just a frame i looked i think 97 up had em only.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:04 PM

wow I've owned this car almost a year and a half and am ALWAYS fixing other peoples cars and never found my own problem.

well i found out its the rear driver side caliper is loose, well not really but it feels loose and makes that annoying noise now the bolts are tight is hell. what could be wrong with them?

the problem was i have a really bad habbit of pulling my ebrake everywhere i go even know its automatic my first automatic lol that when i got out the caliper was frose onto the rotor cause e brake was pulled and thats why it always felt tight to me haha.

so do i need to replace the caliper? or what causes this?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:56 PM

I had this same problem for over 3months and it drove me crazy... mechanics had check everything in the rear and came up with nothing until I decided to take alook myself and behold while checking my rear brake it notice that my calipers did not have the brake hardware kit installed back on from when I had my car inspected. Brought some from a local store for $10.00 installed them and problem solved.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:08 PM

I guarantee once you replace those brake hardware kits on both side you rattling sound will be gone. they're is nothing else in the rear that will make that sound away unless your rear end is shot to hell. First do this.. find the bumpiest road while going over the bumps hit the brake hard... if the rattling stop while going over the bumps it's the hardware kit not holding the brake pads in place causing them to bounce between the caliper and rotor. making that god awful sound like your ride is a piece of crap....

Good luck
Old 07-31-2010, 11:17 PM

yea it forsure the damn caliper lol.

what do i ask for when i go to autozone? ask for brake pad shims, or anti rattle shims or whats the name? also i read that gooey **** you put on the backsides of the pads helps also.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:50 PM

yea it forsure the damn caliper lol.

what do i ask for when i go to autozone? ask for brake pad shims, or anti rattle shims or whats the name? also i read that gooey **** you put on the backsides of the pads helps also.
ask for the brake hardware kit.... I got mines from pepboys for $9.99 you don't need that gooey crap. the hardware kit takes care of that
Old 08-01-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by najee1062
I had this same problem for over 3months and it drove me crazy... mechanics had check everything in the rear and came up with nothing until I decided to take alook myself and behold while checking my rear brake it notice that my calipers did not have the brake hardware kit installed back on from when I had my car inspected. Brought some from a local store for $10.00 installed them and problem solved.
yea im going thru the same **** and know its due to the old clips.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by goomzthegeneral
yea im going thru the same **** and know its due to the old clips.

Ok so I am going to replace those clips when I plan to do the brake pads. Now, what about the loose caliper? Although the bolts Travis said were tight, what else can you do to prevent the caliper from moving?
Old 08-01-2010, 03:45 PM

I think only the brake hardware. i went to pepboys it was $16.99 and autozone $8.99 pepboys had a nice set of ceramic pads for $21.99 and they already have the anti rattle plates on the pads from what it looked like i think im just gonna wait and bye those pads i never changed my rear brakes and rotors look great shape.

i let my friend take the car to the store a few months ago and when he came back my rear brakes were SMOKIN and stinkin he forgot to take off the e brake and said he was wondering why it was running like ****, so im sure they need changing.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:35 PM

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search
Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 PM

I think only the brake hardware. i went to pepboys it was $16.99 and autozone $8.99 pepboys had a nice set of ceramic pads for $21.99 and they already have the anti rattle plates on the pads from what it looked like i think im just gonna wait and bye those pads i never changed my rear brakes and rotors look great shape.

i let my friend take the car to the store a few months ago and when he came back my rear brakes were SMOKIN and stinkin he forgot to take off the e brake and said he was wondering why it was running like ****, so im sure they need changing.
You must have gotten the pin boots with the kit for them to be $16.99 which is good if you need them. Those pads are great with the shims build in, I have those also. Let us know how the install went.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Ok so I am going to replace those clips when I plan to do the brake pads. Now, what about the loose caliper? Although the bolts Travis said were tight, what else can you do to prevent the caliper from moving?
I can't see the caliper moving around if you have the bolts tighten and lub... those hardware kit seem to wear out after awhile and don't hold the pads snug enough to keep them from moving. that's the only then that should be moving around is the pads if have rattling sounds coming from the calipers area.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by goomzthegeneral
Those are the ones...and that's what holds the pads in place and keep them from moving around.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:47 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

I find it weird that so many people have problems with hardware missing on their brakes. Anyway. Just in case the hardware isn't the problem:
Have you made sure the caliper isn't frozen? If the piston is stuck 'in' with no force against the pad, it will often cause a rattling sound.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
I find it weird that so many people have problems with hardware missing on their brakes. Anyway. Just in case the hardware isn't the problem:
Have you made sure the caliper isn't frozen? If the piston is stuck 'in' with no force against the pad, it will often cause a rattling sound.
Good point and your are right... that hardware kit only assist with a working caliper and if you are doing rear brake I suggest servicing the caliper also... I rebuild my calipers which is easy if you have the time and patients. That is one major problem with 4th gens...those rear caliper will stick sooner or later. but they tend to stick out and not in causing premature wear on pads and rotors.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:41 PM

im sure caliper isn't frozen brakes are damn good and e brake works and rear pads have over 50k miles on them.

imma change the pads next couple days one day not sure. do they screw in or do i need a c clamp?

yea its crazy because theirs so many mechanics that had no idea what noise was and i read on google lots of people with new vehicles have same problem and took it back to dealer 16 times before they finnaly found out it was the caliper hardware lol
Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 AM

You have to screw them in.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:10 PM

im sure caliper isn't frozen brakes are damn good and e brake works and rear pads have over 50k miles on them.

imma change the pads next couple days one day not sure. do they screw in or do i need a c clamp?

yea its crazy because theirs so many mechanics that had no idea what noise was and i read on google lots of people with new vehicles have same problem and took it back to dealer 16 times before they finnaly found out it was the caliper hardware lol
Yea they screw in... don't use a c-clamp on the rears... fronts you can. Thats the same thing I was going thru, no mechanics knew what sound I was talking about... That sound was too loud and annoying for it not to be something loose or worn. One other thing be careful not to bend the hardware out of shape because you will have the same problem. They only install one way. If you have to force them in then you have them backwards, they click right in place if you have them right.

Last edited by najee1062; 08-02-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:58 PM

on my brakes there is a spring that hooked into holes in the pads themselves. They served to press the pads AWAY from the rotor. Are these springs in place? There should be one on either end of the pads, and look like a bent piece of wire.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by shadetreemech77
on my brakes there is a spring that hooked into holes in the pads themselves. They served to press the pads AWAY from the rotor. Are these springs in place? There should be one on either end of the pads, and look like a bent piece of wire.
Are you speaking of the rear brakes or your front?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:44 PM

wow the whole time i had this maxima i thought the CAR was rattling not the brake caliper lol i figured 295k miles hell id be rattling too lol, well i threw a good pare of pads that came with the shims already on the pads i got them for 21.99 pep boys and installed them and holly crap am i happy! the car sounds like a brand new car now doesn't make ANY NOISES lol im not used to that.

the calipers both sides were a damn BICHHHH to screw back in im not sure why but i sat their an hour on each side with pair of pliers turning and turning and turning and turning and turning and getting nowhere lol, id have to turn them 15 times hammer the hell out the piston then turn them nother 15 the hammer over and over and over lol they were a pain. but well worth it.

also on both sides the rubber boot was worn and falling apart i ripped them completely off the piston is that bad or should it be ok? i figure ill change the calipers next brake change since they were a bichhh to screw back in.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

the calipers both sides were a damn BICHHHH to screw back in im not sure why but i sat their an hour on each side with pair of pliers turning and turning and turning and turning and turning and getting nowhere...
Clean caliper thoroughly with brake clean, let dry, and then brush synthetic brake lube(blue stuff is awesome) around the piston before screwing it back in. Works like a charm.

also on both sides the rubber boot was worn and falling apart i ripped them completely off the piston is that bad or should it be ok?...
You took the boots off? Personally, I would order the rebuild kit now and do it ASAP. Or, buy calipers. My $.02
Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 PM

what happens if i keep no boot on them?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:00 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

what happens if i keep no boot on them?
Well, the piston boot is there to keep the road debris, brake dust, water, and anything else from damaging the piston seal. The piston seal keeps the brake fluid in the caliper. Damaged piston seal = bad day. Rebuilding now > crisis later. You get the picture.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:15 PM

wow the whole time i had this maxima i thought the CAR was rattling not the brake caliper lol i figured 295k miles hell id be rattling too lol, well i threw a good pare of pads that came with the shims already on the pads i got them for 21.99 pep boys and installed them and holly crap am i happy! the car sounds like a brand new car now doesn't make ANY NOISES lol im not used to that.

the calipers both sides were a damn BICHHHH to screw back in im not sure why but i sat their an hour on each side with pair of pliers turning and turning and turning and turning and turning and getting nowhere lol, id have to turn them 15 times hammer the hell out the piston then turn them nother 15 the hammer over and over and over lol they were a pain. but well worth it.

also on both sides the rubber boot was worn and falling apart i ripped them completely off the piston is that bad or should it be ok? i figure ill change the calipers next brake change since they were a bichhh to screw back in.
Glad to here you've gotten that rattling noise taking care of But!!! if you had a problem turning the piston (and using a hammer) it's time to service them especially since you tore the boot apart. you're sure to have brake problem down the road.... I rebuild mine and it's very easy

get this brake repair kit http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...?location=Rear

brake fluid

if you need instruction let me know cost was about $25.oo all together and you will have brakes like brand new...
Old 08-04-2010, 05:35 PM

i think ill wait and do that or just wait till they give out cause im lookin for a new job noew and if i get in where i think im getting in then i can quit my crappy job and ill have much more money and am doin the 3.5 swap along with brake upgrade and drop springs.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:28 PM

if u hear a rattling coming from the trunk area, and its not ur brakes or shocks, check the 10mm nut holding ur car jack in place... i once had the issue and it turned out that the nut was loose, so it rattled over every bump... weird thing to check but it can happen lol
Old 08-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by simsbary89
if u hear a rattling coming from the trunk area, and its not ur brakes or shocks, check the 10mm nut holding ur car jack in place... i once had the issue and it turned out that the nut was loose, so it rattled over every bump... weird thing to check but it can happen lol
That would be a thumping sound specially if the jack is in place....
Old 08-05-2010, 12:00 PM

Glad to hear everything work out with that rattling noise Travis.... I know how you feel not hearing that noise anymore, I was cheering for days after mines was gone.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by najee1062
ask for the brake hardware kit.... I got mines from pepboys for $9.99 you don't need that gooey crap. the hardware kit takes care of that
Have never done brakes before. I know my pads still have plenty left on them how hard is it to install this hardware kit? anyone have any pictures?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by rkkfromnj
Have never done brakes before. I know my pads still have plenty left on them how hard is it to install this hardware kit? anyone have any pictures?
Yes it's simple if you know a little about brakes. they just clip on to the caliper and they slider are as simple. pic
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search
Old 08-05-2010, 08:21 PM

putting the hardware in takes just about the entire process of changing the pads except pushing the caliper piston back in its eazy, off the tire off the 2 14mm caliper bolts pull claiper back and install hardware your good to go.

and yes thanks alot guys, i am still happy now when im driving by some hot bichs i wont duck or look away LOL
Old 08-05-2010, 10:48 PM

putting the hardware in takes just about the entire process of changing the pads except pushing the caliper piston back in its eazy, off the tire off the 2 14mm caliper bolts pull claiper back and install hardware your good to go.

and yes thanks alot guys, i am still happy now when im driving by some hot bichs i wont duck or look away LOL
I feel you Travis... I use to hate to turn onto my street cause a section of the street use to make my car sound like it was falling apart....LOL
Old 08-06-2010, 03:34 PM

Ok so after following this thread, is it safe to say everytime you do your pads, you should replace your brake hardware as well??

Quick Reply: what could be rattling in rear shocks area?