4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ghetto security

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:27 AM

ghetto security

Not sure how many of you have tried this, but it worked out well for me. You can install a switch and hide it in your car somewhere that will interrupt the fuel pump's electrical flow. No elec to fuel pump = can't steal it in a hurry. The only reason I'm posting this is because it took me the better part of a half our to find out definitively that the fuel pump's power wire on the 4th gen max was black with yellow stripes. Cost me all of $16 and the car is ridiculously hard to steal now.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM

just exactly where is the switch located? jk
but the better question is...why would anyone want to steal one of these old cars?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:38 AM

Well plugeye these older cars are mostly modded with rims, sound system, etc that would make them targets to steal just for the mods, also older cars are easier to steal then newer ones
Old 07-21-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
Well plugeye these older cars are mostly modded with rims, sound system, etc that would make them targets to steal just for the mods, also older cars are easier to steal then newer ones
Also, as you may be aware but the youngest of 4th gens are 15 years old now. As the car gets older, the harder it will be to find parts which will also cost more hence why they will come and strip your car.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If your going to do all that, just pull the fuel pump fuse.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:02 AM

ehhh parts for out cars are easy to find. There is a huge market since these cars are so popular secondhand.

But if the car modded with rims, soundsystem, candy paint drippin n shyt, etc, u get my point. Poeple gonna want to steal em. Crackheads steal anything man.

I like the idea of electronic fuel cut off switch.

seems easy to do and very beneficail. where is the wire bunch located for the pump. I might do this. U cd do the same with ignition wire. But u wd have to hid the wires and the switch.

Its ghetto but it work.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by NABU6
this too lol. but a switch still easier.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by NABU6
Just run a relay to an obscure accessory - accessory must be on for car to start or visa versa...

I have a couple of things on my 99 to prevent 'Drive-a-way' type theft - however - most car thieves these days just use a flat bed to drag your car away....
Old 07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Well plugeye these older cars are mostly modded with rims, sound system, etc that would make them targets to steal just for the mods,
Easier to steal the mods then the car.
Seriously, who would want to steal a 11+ year old vehicle?
Break into it, steal what you want and leave the rest for the owner to dispose of.

I'm just sayin...
Old 07-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Break into it, steal what you want and leave the rest for the owner to dispose of.

I'm just sayin...
+1. I would be more worried about break ins than someone stealing it.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:16 PM

I'm just sayin...

One of the most stolen cars in America is a Honda Civic (1995) and i'm sure not for it's reliability
Old 07-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by fat_kid
One of the most stolen cars in America is a Honda Civic (1995) and i'm sure not for it's reliability
They are worth more in pieces then as a whole, that's why.
And yes, it is for reliability - there's plenty of them still on the road making their parts worth $$$. Chop shops love cars like that. Accord was up there for a while too.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:28 PM

I'm just sayin...
Fail....Rims have locks, amps systems enclosed or held down by bolts. You tell me they're going to be able to take that? No, its going to take time and some effort plus I would love to see someone trying to take off my rims, it takes me an hour or so and I have the key to the locks, I'll blow there arm off with my .357 before they get one wheel off
Old 07-21-2010, 01:38 PM

ive seen many cars stolen and vandalized...trust me if they want your car....theyre going to take it regardless of your lil fuel cut off....i know people thats jack your car up put it on wheel dollys and push it down the street around the corner just to get it going then BAM off it goes...
Old 07-21-2010, 01:39 PM

You go buy a switch from advance auto for about 9 bucks, some 16 guage wire, and lift up your back seat. In the pack of wires that are bound up routing to the cover for the fuel pump you will see a black wire with a yellow stripe. That's the one you want. Personally I attached a long section of wire in a loop to my switch, moved around in teh car with it until i found out where i wanted to go, then ran it under my carpet and cut off the excess of the loop right next to the power wire for the fuel pump. Two easy twist on connectors, some black tape, some tie downs for safety's sake, and I had a car that couldn't be stolen so easily. I just got out of the military and added a great deal of small little niceties that I don't want to lose like the kenmore kvt-617dvd, leather seats, NEW ENGINE, .... suffice it to say I want my paid off vehicle to stay in MY yard not someone else's.

I'm attempting to slow down THE LAZY THIEF. Not the career criminal who swipes cars for a inner city chop shop ring. The vast majority of felonies are crimes of opportunity, like when you forget to lock a door. I was a correctional officer in maximum security prison and something we learned in that trade was that the mentality of a criminal is not "oh, look, they forgot to lock their car what a shame," it's "they forgot to lock their car, they deserve for me to steal it, i just was given this car, it's mine."

The goal is not to make it impossible for someone to steal, the goal is to make it difficult so it can't be done quickly. This gives ample opportunity for them to be noticed and something done about it.

Ah, maxima.org, such silly banter.

Last edited by jasonaaronfox; 07-21-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
ive seen many cars stolen and vandalized...trust me if they want your car....theyre going to take it regardless of your lil fuel cut off....i know people thats jack your car up put it on wheel dollys and push it down the street around the corner just to get it going then BAM off it goes...
True. If they want it they will take it, but precautions can always prevent it from being easily taken, and make it harder to take.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by jasonaaronfox
You go buy a switch from advance auto for about 9 bucks, some 16 guage wire, and lift up your back seat. In the pack of wires that are bound up routing to the cover for the fuel pump you will see a black wire with a yellow stripe. That's the one you want. Personally I attached a long section of wire in a loop to my switch, moved around in teh car with it until i found out where i wanted to go, then ran it under my carpet and cut off the excess of the loop right next to the power wire for the fuel pump. Two easy twist on connectors, some black tape, some tie downs for safety's sake, and I had a car that couldn't be stolen so easily. I just got out of the military and added a great deal of small little niceties that I don't want to lose like the kenmore kvt-617dvd, leather seats, NEW ENGINE, .... suffice it to say I want my paid off vehicle to stay in MY yard not someone else's.

I'm attempting to slow down THE LAZY THIEF. Not the career criminal who swipes cars for a inner city chop shop ring. The vast majority of felonies are crimes of opportunity, like when you forget to lock a door. I was a correctional officer in maximum security prison and something we learned in that trade was that the mentality of a criminal is not "oh, look, they forgot to lock their car what a shame," it's "they forgot to lock their car, they deserve for me to steal it, i just was given this car, it's mine."

The goal is not to make it impossible for someone to steal, the goal is to make it difficult so it can't be done quickly. This gives ample opportunity for them to be noticed and something done about it.

Ah, maxima.org, such silly banter.
thank you for explaining what I didn't feel like.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:17 PM

Good Idea. Will be doing this on all of my familys maximas.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by fat_kid
NOT anymore its Maximas especially the 4thgens
Old 07-21-2010, 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=njmaxseltd;7654323]Easier to steal the mods then the car.

I'm sure alot of people say that til they come outside and see an empty parking space. I know i did.

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Who do you know? LMK so I know to keep you AND your peoples away from my ish.

True. If they want it they will take it, but precautions can always prevent it from being easily taken, and make it harder to take.
at the least.

Last edited by LILMAN; 07-21-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:29 PM

**** my cousin got his 94 altima stolen and it was a hoopty.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:36 PM
KH3 by popular demand

I marvel at the people that scoffed at "why would someone steal these old cars". Last Oct. they tried to steal my car. Make sure your alarm works and have more than one layer of security, like a switch, it doesn't need to be for fuel though that is helpful but the ecu power wire or the wire to the coil packs can work too. Have more than one siren and they sell small batteries you can use for back up power on the alarm for less than $15-$20 at places like Northern Tool (12volts 1 mA). Go troll the NYCmaxima.org forum and see how many threads there are on stolen maximas.

It's all fun and games until you hear them trying to start your car or come out and find your nice stereo equipment missing. Anyone that is serious will consider protecting their investment no matter how small it is. Oh yeah and don't find out the hard way that if you have no receipts or your stuff is not bolted down in the trunk that the insurance company will just chuckle at you. Most of you guys must be running Boss and Pyramid amps and headunits. Addressing the flatbed issue, you should have a tilt sensor attached to your alarm. Most thieves you have met or seen before, don't show anyone your car you don't know, thieves even profile at open air car shows, malls,etc. Be careful what you share in this thread because thieves troll the forums here too so don't tell people every detail how you secured your car. Oh yeah, disconnect your trunk button.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 PM

LILMAN, people in New Haven are good for that, ive seen it happen many times.... im not one to jack up other peoples sh*t i make 30 an hour and bust my a$$ for what i got,i dont live in the ghetto in Ct i live in a lil a$$ town that no one even knows about
Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 PM

I agree with maxgtr....although if youre worried about your ride being stolen, maybe you should consider gps tracking device on your car or something similiar lojack or something else...i mean if you think your car is worth that much to you you might as well go to all highs finding a way to make it unstealable... good luck to ya though my best alarm is my dog...go near my car and see what happens....
Old 07-22-2010, 02:48 AM

Haha that a good idea. When I left my car at a store to carpool with some friends out of town, I pulled out the fuel pump fuse and every fuse that makes a car operate.

Since it was in the bad part of town I was pondering about disconnecting a couple coils and a removing the ignition switch. But that was a bit overkill.

Oh and one surefire way to make your car not run is to disconnect the MAF. My car wouldn't even move 5 feet with it disconnected. Like maybe if you disconnected it but left it inside the connector but not connected all the way you might fool even those career criminals.

Unless they jack up your car and roll it away or tow it away....

Last edited by Leo_Koneval; 07-22-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:34 AM

i understand if you have a lot tied up in the car.
but....... if your depending on a car alarm to save it, i have to disagree.
those car alarms go off all the time & no one pays any attention to it.
they are useless & noise generators. i DO agree about the dogs though. much much more efficient deterrant.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 AM

If you really want people to do something, get a train or truck horn and attach it to your car alarm, so if someone tries to steal or break into it you have a loud a$$ horn that everyone will wake up because of the loud noise. Also if you live in a house, have camera around the outside to monitor anything. Get a lo-jack system for you car. They also have sirens you can install inside your car, you can hide it anywhere, recommend behind the dash, its a high pitch sound, also install multiple sensors. Tilt, motion, etc..Thats what I would do. And if you have an SE it should already have a cut-off switch, I know mine does then again I have a 97. But if you're getting an extra on installed, get the one with the key.But have it hidden, like under the cup holder.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by K-Ryder
If you really want people to do something, get a train or truck horn and attach it to your car alarm, so if someone tries to steal or break into it you have a loud a$$ horn that everyone will wake up because of the loud noise. Also if you live in a house, have camera around the outside to monitor anything. Get a lo-jack system for you car. They also have sirens you can install inside your car, you can hide it anywhere, recommend behind the dash, its a high pitch sound, also install multiple sensors. Tilt, motion, etc..Thats what I would do. And if you have an SE it should already have a cut-off switch, I know mine does then again I have a 97. But if you're getting an extra on installed, get the one with the key.But have it hidden, like under the cup holder.

@ the train or truck horn. Man, Don't get me wrong, it will wake me up but if its not my car and its not shutting up, someone will have cause to throw a brick at it..
Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 PM

I would love to see someone trying to take off my rims, it takes me an hour or so and I have the key to the locks
wtf 1 hr to take off your own wheels? what do you drive a freaking 18 wheeler?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
@ the train or truck horn. Man, Don't get me wrong, it will wake me up but if its not my car and its not shutting up, someone will have cause to throw a brick at it..
Haha yeah that a great way to deter thieves

Or better have a horn that goes off INSIDE the car when the alarm gets triggered so that it'll be so loud if the thieves don't get out they will either go deaf or have a heart attack from the sound waves hitting their chest
Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASdvtshppok
Old 07-23-2010, 11:12 AM

yo man, the worst part about thieves is that u can never catch them in the act or after they stole yur shyt.

There was this one time my sis guy friend stole some money from her. She knew it was him cuz the money wasnt there after he left. She wouldnt tell me exactly where he lived but i knew what neighborhood. I drove around until i found his punk***. Beat the shyt outta him right out front of a gas station. His "boys" say me beatin his *** and ran off. Now THAT was satisfying...

Nothing worse than f*Kin thief. Best believe if i found someone tryin to take my max or breakin into my car, ima be all over them.

Dont matter what kind of car or what u got in it; ppl will steal whateva. the nicer it is the greater the likelihood someone gonna want to steal it.

Last edited by cashoit; 07-23-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:55 AM

Yeah man back in 07 I woke up on a Monday mornin and got ready to leave for work. I walked out to my driveway and wtf my max was gone! It seemed like someone was playin a joke on me and it took awhile to realize what happened. I called the cops and all that crap. Four days later they found my car in the ghetto just parked at a stop sign. My stereo equipment gone. They didnt carefully take anything out either, they busted up all my stereo bezel trim, ac vents, ac controls, and gouged the hell out of my leather seats. And they busted my ignition switch to start the car.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:51 AM

Damn noones driving off with that thing
Old 07-24-2010, 12:16 PM

If you really wanna go crazy, put a .45 under the seat with a stick connecting trigger and seat cushion. Thief sits - BAM.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:08 PM

Fail....Rims have locks, amps systems enclosed or held down by bolts. You tell me they're going to be able to take that? No, its going to take time and some effort plus I would love to see someone trying to take off my rims, it takes me an hour or so and I have the key to the locks, I'll blow there arm off with my .357 before they get one wheel off
you can break wheel locks fairly easily...you just need the correct tools...most boxes are an easy rip out and amateur installers mount the amps on the back of the box...they dont care what they damage and if they fail they dont give a ****...and when you have a few people that helps as well.

but yea, its a good idea just to have a form of an ign, starter, or fuel cut off to have some piece of mind and a form of security
Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 PM

cut off switch is the way to go
Old 07-28-2010, 01:43 PM

if only we had this in our cars..
Old 07-28-2010, 05:03 PM

if only we had this in our cars..
Yeah I would definitely sign up for one of those in a heartbeat!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Yeah I would definitely sign up for one of those in a heartbeat!

yea i searched i didnt find a DIY not in the stickies or classifieds

anyone done this mod please post w/pics ! lol!

Quick Reply: ghetto security