4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Mod Sugestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 01:48 PM

Mod Sugestions?

So, here's the deal. I've got a few mods done to my Max and I've got a MEVI sitting in my garage waiting to be put on. I'm looking for a little advice on what performance mods I should do while I've got the upper intake manifold off. I would like to do anything I should all at once. For example, thermal phenolic intake spacer kit, or bigger injectors? If you can, let me know what I should do, and how it will help me out.

Current Performance Mods:
Injen CAI, Clutchmasters FX300 clutch, Clutchmasters lightweight flywheel, Stillen Y-pipe, Stillen B-pipe, Stillen Muffler, Stillen FSTB, Stillen RSTB, Stillen RSB, Stillen STS, ebay high-flow cat (test pipe), Tokico Illumina Struts and Springs, and I think thats about all that might be relevant.

I have some pretty harsh hesitation sometimes so I plan on doing a lot of maintenance while I have the thing torn apart (cleaning the IACV, EGR, MAF, throttle body, replacing the PCV, and using Sea Foam). My roommate knows Jim Wolf so I will be taking my ECU to him to have it reprogrammed. I am also going to get my car fully tuned once I have everything done, so I wanna make sure I have all performance mods done that I should. Any advice or opinions are fully appreciated! Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited by RyanTaylorClark; 07-18-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Got Retrofit?

NWP intake spacer kit would definitely be nice, and you have the right idea on doing all that maintenece.

Can't tell ya to do much more.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 PM

I made a video with a friend's max of how to do all that maintenence and will make another one on mine for all of you out there. Anyone else have suggestions on mods that should be done at the same time?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:00 AM

Clean those GND wires. I replaced the main battery GND and the alternator GND with hand made wires. I cleaned and replaced the crimp connectors on the GNDs for the relay boxes. I added a GND straight from the NEG terminal to the transaxle. I added a few from the engine to various chassis mounts.
The running volatge jumped from 13.5V to 14.4V.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:49 AM

sounds like u covering all the bases. Good man
Old 07-20-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
Clean those GND wires. I replaced the main battery GND and the alternator GND with hand made wires. I cleaned and replaced the crimp connectors on the GNDs for the relay boxes. I added a GND straight from the NEG terminal to the transaxle. I added a few from the engine to various chassis mounts.
The running volatge jumped from 13.5V to 14.4V.
I was a car audio supervisor for like 6 years and I've got a toolbox full of spare 4 gauge wire and 4 gauge ring connectors. I will be cleaning the factory GND points and adding new GND cables, but I think I might not do this immediately. But, I definately will before I have it tuned! Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
Ever thought about a lightweight pulley?
I have, but I've also heard some negatives about these. What do you guys think? Anyone else care to weigh in?

Also, anyone think I should do bigger injectors? Or is that only really beneficial if you're FI? Anything else?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by RyanTaylorClark
I was a car audio supervisor for like 6 years and I've got a toolbox full of spare 4 gauge wire and 4 gauge ring connectors. I will be cleaning the factory GND points and adding new GND cables, but I think I might not do this immediately. But, I definately will before I have it tuned! Thanks for the advice!

I have, but I've also heard some negatives about these. What do you guys think? Anyone else care to weigh in?

Also, anyone think I should do bigger injectors? Or is that only really beneficial if you're FI? Anything else?

Bigger injectors for either 3.5 swap. Not sure u need for FI.

Pulleys are only really worth it if u got the lightweight flywheel too.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:27 AM

I agree with the Spacer Kit. I read alot of threads about them last night before I ordered to to put on when I do my MEVI that I ordered last night. Maybe replace spark plug grommets while your there because thats the original reason im taking the UIM off.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by cashoit

Wha?
If you do the 3.5 swap, why not use the 3.5 injectors?

Honestly, there is no need for larger injectors unless your currently maxing out your stock ones. Which isnt going to happen on an NA setup. Even mildly boosted vehicles can run stock sized injectors.

To the OP, Im a bit confused when you say JWT will be reprogramming the ECU and then you plan on having a tune done?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

We've seen the fuel pump max out before the injectors do (96sleeper) on an NA VQ35 cammed dyno.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7

To the OP, Im a bit confused when you say JWT will be reprogramming the ECU and then you plan on having a tune done?
Its usually one or the other. But if you don't go the JWT route, pick up a piggyback that you can use to control the VIAS and tune the A/F ratio. I got my VAFC2 and picked up 10whp from adjusting the a/f ratio while also using it as an RPM switch.

But if you go JWT, then that is a different story...
Old 07-20-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit

I do have the lightweight flywheel (see current mod list). You guys think I should throw on the underdrive pulley?

Originally Posted by EVERYONE
You don't need bigger injectors!
Point taken about the injectors. I won't do those. Wasn't sure if they'd benefit me or not. I'll take all your advice as a no. Just to clarify the ECU/tune issue. My roommate has a 350Z. Our friend Scott owns Relentless Autosports and they work on many different types of vehicles, specializing in Z's and G's. Scott does all the work on my roommates Z in exchange for my roommate doing webpage/multimedia stuff for Scott and his race teams. Scott is really good friends with Jim Wolf, hence my roommate has met him a few times (they hang out lol). I told Scott I wanted to have Jim Wolf reprogram my ECU after I put my MEVI on and he said "sure, I can talk to him. With all that you have done, why don't we just fully tune your car." I took that as ECU + tune, not tune instead of ECU. I must have been confused.

Anyone have an opinion on cams or anything else I should consider? I know the MEVI is not that major of a project, I just wanna knock it all out at once so I can get the most benefit out of the tune.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:51 PM

Spacer kit ftw.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:22 PM

So, this is what your going to do...

1. Valve Cover Gaskets

2. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! EGR, IACV, Manifold's,MAF, TB!

3. Re Ground!

4. Spark Plugs

5. NWP Spacer's!

6. JWT ECU!

Don't bother screwing with the Injectors or Anything related. Our Injectors are fine for anything but FI!