4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

starting issue....solenoid perhaps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 AM
scoobystoned...

starting issue....solenoid perhaps?

Hey guys -

So my maxima has been doing this for several years now, but lately its gotten worse (perhaps due to summer heat?). When I turn my key to on, everything turns on fine, when I go to start, nothing happens, no click, no noise, no anything. I turn it back to ON, then try again and again, and eventually it starts up perfectly fine. Sometimes it takes just a couple trys, sometimes, 10-15 minutes. This is a pain in the ***.

Is it just my starter solenoid? If that's the case, I should be able to fix it pretty easily I think. BTW, its a 1998 with 197K. Thanks guys, any help is appreciated.

Adam
Old 07-13-2010, 10:50 AM

It could be the ignition switch
Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM

yeah it def sounds like ignitiion switch especially considering that when u turn the key to the on position nothing happens sometimes then other times start up perfect.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:08 PM

I had the exact same problem. There's a slot in the ignition switch that fits into a little T shaped flanged in the steering column. As these cars get older, they develop a little slop between the flange and the ignition switch, and sometimes turning the key doesn't quiiiiite make the ignition switch go far enough over. I solved it by putting a tiny piece of electrical tape in the slot on the switch, like this:

If you're having the problem frequently, you can also test by taking the ignition switch out of the column and using a screwdriver in the slot to start it. If it works every time, this is probably your problem.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Make sure your battery terminals are clean.
Replace the ignition switch.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:09 AM

I was having a similar problem on my 96. Just yesterday I replaced the starter with a new one from Auto Zone. $119, hten $40 for the install. I read another post (thread) that made me think it was the starter, and my mechanic said he really thought that was what it was.

Like I said it was just yesterday and the problem did not happen all the time, so I am still not sure if that was the cause of the problem, but I have not had the problem since the starter was changed. Fingers are crossed.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:37 PM
scoobystoned...

Thanks for all the help guys.
I used the fix that DBear provided, by using electrical tape in the ingnition switch. Worked Great! Starts up everytime now. Easy and nice and cheap.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:16 PM

okay, i'm having the same problem as the OP has. my question is if it is not the ignition switch can it be the key? both of my brothers had told me, (1 brother) said his friend had starting problems with his car (non maxima) because of the keys teeth being worn down from so much use after years of using the same key. he replaced the key and his car started up again. my other brother said his wife had the same problem with his wifes 94 del sol and that she couldnt unlock her doors or turn on the car sometime due to the key being worn out.

i guess what i'm asking is; has anyone one had this starting problem and that the problem got fixed when a new key was used?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiNone
okay, i'm having the same problem as the OP has. my question is if it is not the ignition switch can it be the key? both of my brothers had told me, (1 brother) said his friend had starting problems with his car (non maxima) because of the keys teeth being worn down from so much use after years of using the same key. he replaced the key and his car started up again. my other brother said his wife had the same problem with his wifes 94 del sol and that she couldnt unlock her doors or turn on the car sometime due to the key being worn out.

i guess what i'm asking is; has anyone one had this starting problem and that the problem got fixed when a new key was used?

nevermind, just took off my ignition out and i believe thats what the probem is. thanx guys for the posted info...
Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 PM

On the Nissan, the key is strictly for the lock. If the key turns, the key is fine. Last year I had this problem on my 97 and instead of replacing the ignition switch, I took the white plastic cap off the ignition switch and cleaned the contacts inside. If you use the tape idea, you are causing the contacts to slide a little further together and use a clean section. Of course this works, but you are using a much smaller contact point and it will corrode like a brand new switch will, but won't last anywhere near as long as cleaning.