4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AC Clutch/Compressor Repair Contact

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:25 PM

AC Clutch/Compressor Repair Contact

Summer is here and the 4th gen is getting older so more AC related problems will start to pop up. Below is the 'original' thread that covers the topic in pretty good detail. It reference a shop that will replace the bearing but they are out of business so I figure I share a new site that is has quite bit more AC related services/parts and can get you the proper bearing for about $20. I called them and they are quite helpful buy giving me some steps to take to diagnose the compressor myself to isolate the problem. Quoted $40 to replace bearing if you mail it in –not bad. Hope this helps someone out.

http://www.polarbearinc.com/PBPC/Hom...oducts_CL.html

Oldie but goodie thread.
http:// forums.maxima.org/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/379856-who-has-experience-ac-compressor-clutch. html

Last edited by PhillyDonut; 07-07-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by PhillyDonut
Summer is here and the 4th gen is getting older so more AC related problems will start to pop up. Below is the 'original' thread that covers the topic in pretty good detail. It reference a shop that will replace the bearing but they are out of business so I figure I share a new site that is has quite bit more AC related services/parts and can get you the proper bearing for about $20. I called them and they are quite helpful buy giving me some steps to take to diagnose the compressor myself to isolate the problem. Quoted $40 to replace bearing if you mail it in –not bad. Hope this helps someone out.

http://www.polarbearinc.com/PBPC/Hom...oducts_CL.html

Oldie but goodie thread.
http:// forums.maxima.org/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/379856-who-has-experience-ac-compressor-clutch. html

This is great news man! I have also been trying to see if someone else found a different source to replace this bearing as well. Now I have a few questions for you, have you sent yours in to be repaired and was it a good replacement? Also, when you took yours off, did the clutch plate bend in any way? Some of us 4th gen owners know if we attempt to take it off, that it is seized up and not repairable once the clutch disc is bent.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:41 PM

Hehe. I actually have not fixed mine. Been noisy for coming on 3 years now...

I am looking to get a new car soon and will prob sell my car (side swipe hit and run and too much body damage and other minor annoyances to make it work fixing up) and leave the forum -hence wanted to post this before I go.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:04 PM

thank god. my ac clutch had been making noise for a while til i started smelling burning rubber.. i changed the belt to a 36 inch one, to bypass the compressor, and it sounds much better, and burning rubber smell is gone.. but now today it is like 95 degrees in chicago and my black leather seats make driving the car quite unbearable even with the windows and sunroof open. ill have to order that bearing! thanks for the help! much appreciated