4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Im the middle of a swap year change hoping for help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 PM

Im the middle of a swap year change hoping for help

1995 3.0 obd2 into a 1998 3.0 an obviously obd2 I posted this before, a while ago but now i am in the middle so i have some questions.

1 .are the trannys geared different? which ones better for a hilly upstate ny?

2.what are the clutch differences? something different between 1995-1996 and 1997 to 1999? if the difference in the tranny or the engine?

3. also I haven't set them side by side, will there be differences? exhuast sensors,injectors? mabey wire harness plugs are the same but they could be in a difrent order?

4.lastley i guess the ecu? they are both five speed 3.0 the old one has a suroof and BOSE heated leather,the new one does not
Old 07-02-2010, 10:56 PM

1. Both trannys are exactly the same.
2. Both clutches are exactly the same
3. The 95 wont have all the emissions equipment the 98 has, and unless you have the 95 ecu to go along with the 95 engine, you will throw codes.
4. The ecu doesn't control sunroof or heated seats. ECU= ENGINE CONTROL UNIT, the ecu controls the engine and it's related components, your sunroof and heated seat seats will work exactly the same, no matter what ecu or engine you use.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:27 PM

The engines should be exactly the same internally, but the sensors and a few other things from the manifolds out will be different. As Shift Nismo said, the emissions stuff will be the main difference. Only change the ECU if you change the emissions stuff too. The easy/better way to go about it is to only swap the long block and keep the ECU/sensors/manifolds/EGR/etc. that were originally on the car.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by VQ30MPG
The engines should be exactly the same internally, but the sensors and a few other things from the manifolds out will be different. As Shift Nismo said, the emissions stuff will be the main difference. Only change the ECU if you change the emissions stuff too. The easy/better way to go about it is to only swap the long block and keep the ECU/sensors/manifolds/EGR/etc. that were originally on the car.
Maybe, but if he wants to mod, it would be better to just get a 95 ecu. Then he doesn't have to deal with the emissions headaches. Plus if he already has the 95 engine, just spend like $60-$100 more and get a 95 ecu. Plus it may cost more to swap blocks, than to just swap an entire engine b/c when swapping the entire engine, nothing has to come off, just pull one out, and put the other in.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:19 AM

Thank you all so much for the information so far. I do understand that the ecu is the ecu I just thought maybe that stuff would be integrated but its wonderful to know it isnt. If i swap out the ecu , will i also have to swap of the engine wire harness? and when you say manifolds will be different are you referring to the intake or exhaust manifolds? oh AND i have both cars hey are complete, the 95 just rusted away and the clutch went. and the 98 blew the fugg up but its a Jersey car with no rust i was just starting to have wiring issues with the 1995 , so i really hope the 1998 will cross over. thanks in advance agin for any information.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by speedofsalt32
Thank you all so much for the information so far. I do understand that the ecu is the ecu I just thought maybe that stuff would be integrated but its wonderful to know it isnt. If i swap out the ecu , will i also have to swap of the engine wire harness? and when you say manifolds will be different are you referring to the intake or exhaust manifolds? oh AND i have both cars hey are complete, the 95 just rusted away and the clutch went. and the 98 blew the fugg up but its a Jersey car with no rust i was just starting to have wiring issues with the 1995 , so i really hope the 1998 will cross over. thanks in advance agin for any information.
The harnesses are exactly the same, just take out the 98 ecu, and put in the 95...direct swap. idk if the manifolds are different, but even if they are, they are only different to probably compensate for the emissions equipment on the 98, they dont make anymore power than the 95, so I would just swap the entire engine, really no point in swapping manifolds, you wont gain any power....unless your swapping to headers. 4th gens dont get complicated until 99. Everything you are doing will work fine.

Last edited by Shift_Nismo; 07-03-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Not sure how accurate this is as I did hear this from another local org memeber. the 95-96 have a different trans from the 97-99 when it comes to MANUAL trans, not sure if you're manual or auto but I think the difference is that on the 95-96 you cant shift into 1st while you're rolling anywhere above 8mph or so while on the 97-99 you can go into 1st while you're going at a faster speed...
Old 07-03-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Not sure how accurate this is as I did hear this from another local org memeber. the 95-96 have a different trans from the 97-99 when it comes to MANUAL trans, not sure if you're manual or auto but I think the difference is that on the 95-96 you cant shift into 1st while you're rolling anywhere above 8mph or so while on the 97-99 you can go into 1st while you're going at a faster speed...

I never had the chance to drive the '98 but the '95 would go into first it was just like, "ohhh noo" but then OK once ya ease it in on her haha.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:49 PM

Did some research, it seems 97-99 trannys have an extra synchro for 1st gear to make it easier to shift into while moving slowly, and 95-96 only have one, making it harder to shift into 1st when not completely stopped. I also don't know how true this is, b/c I've only seen 1 member say it, but if thats true, then that would be the only difference.

Last edited by Shift_Nismo; 07-03-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Nismo
Did some research, it seems 97-99 trannys have an extra synchro for 1st gear to make it easier to shift into while moving slowly, and 95-96 only have one, making it harder to shift into 1st when not completely stopped. I also don't know how true this is, b/c I've only seen 1 member say it, but if thats true, then that would be the only difference.
Well, he was right then... he did mention that synchro thingamabob, DaveSZ would you like to jump in and fill us in?
Old 07-03-2010, 06:37 PM

Ok, so far it looks like the egr, and maybe the tps? (the sensor hooked up to the throttle body) are the things that are different.If the sensor is the tps, the 1995 has one plug and the 1998 has two the 1995 has a canister under the hood by the abs solenoid for the egr and the 1998 does not, there are more wires, are there any other known differences in wiring?
Old 07-04-2010, 08:32 PM

got both engines side by side, thinking of swapping wiring harnesses depending on how its in the car im going to pull it apart tomorrow on the car that isn't going back together the only code the 1995 was throwing was knock sensor circuit
Old 07-04-2010, 08:45 PM

well wat about the intake manifold? cuz i know on the 97-99 they have the intake different.. Right? Cuz i remember seein something about that for when u got a 95/6 trying to do the 97-99 bumpers... Am i jus being a stupid noob and the intake still be the same? Or did they change the actual intake a bit? I know the air flows in on mine on the bumper then it leads up to the filter then through the intake... i got it.. but that diff(if there is any), would it make a difference with the swap at all? im jus wondering...
Old 07-04-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by kyle_wise07
well wat about the intake manifold? cuz i know on the 97-99 they have the intake different.. Right? Cuz i remember seein something about that for when u got a 95/6 trying to do the 97-99 bumpers... Am i jus being a stupid noob and the intake still be the same? Or did they change the actual intake a bit? I know the air flows in on mine on the bumper then it leads up to the filter then through the intake... i got it.. but that diff(if there is any), would it make a difference with the swap at all? im jus wondering...
I believe the manifold is the same from 95-98 unless you get cali spec or a 99 which has the butterflies in the LIM. As far as the plenum, its just additional bolted on components on top
Old 07-05-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I believe the manifold is the same from 95-98 unless you get cali spec or a 99 which has the butterflies in the LIM. As far as the plenum, its just additional bolted on components on top
The difference in the intakes ended up being a little vacuum line on the top of the intake just behind where the throttle body bolts upthe fuel rails also go up on the end where they loop and the 1998 goes flat, so it dont have to flow uphill i suppose. i will proly change that out, and the egr valve itself looks the same., just the line routing is different and maybe a little more electronic im gonna switch out the fuel rails, alternator and ac pump,the crank sensor intake throttle body and egr im keeping the 98s flywheel cause its nice and getting a new clutch pressure plate and flywheel, gotta look up the rms,

what else should i do engine out??
Old 07-08-2010, 10:27 AM

Ok guys. I got the intake switched over , and all the vacuum lines. I wanted to keep the 1998 fuel injectors but when that 1998 blew up it shot **** up the intake and hit them, it reallly blew up the 1995 injectors have a raise on one side where the 1998 just loops around i left the actual egr on the two engines, they seemed all the same, cleaned my egr tube,put on a new knock sensor, (took all of 4 minuets) now i really ope the exhaust mannies are gonna be the same i dont wanna switch over heated rusted exhaust ****, and i think you all have me talked out of a rear main.