4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Never buy GSP axles !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:43 PM

Never buy GSP axles !!!

installed a pair new 5 months ago, driver side started making click sound a month ago. Went back to advanced auto parts and got another brand new one. It's making click sound immediately after installation! Now the passenger side started making click sounds.

Never buy GSP axles. The limited lifetime replacement warranty just means "lifetime waste of money on labor fee for replacing".
Old 07-02-2010, 05:51 AM

+1
I have had the same experience with these GSP axles. I did an engine swap and replaced lots of stuff including the axles. My driver side axel only lasted like 2k miles and started flinging grease. Passenger side was done three days ago. Same problem, the boot split @ the seam and the grease all spun out. I do the work myself but it always seems like i need an alighnment after I swap an axel. So I guess after the $160 for the junk GSP axles and replacing both I still get to cough up more $ for another alighnment. I guess the raxel axels i've been reading about would be a worthy investment.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:30 AM

it's a hit or miss. my pair turned out to be fine (so far). got about 18k miles on them.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Oh boy, I just put one on.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:33 PM

N00b question..... Whats a gsp axle? Im just starting to get into cars.. And what i do know is mostly body work... So please dont hate too much .. Lol..
Old 07-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I've gone though about 11 or 12 driver side Duracrap "new" axles in 2 years... and its currently clicking but that one was my fault for accidently pulling and "dislocating" it. Didnt feel like pulling the boot and readjusting so I just banged the **** out of it knowing I'll be replacing it once again shortly. Ugh
Old 07-04-2010, 10:43 PM

So whats the recommended or preferred axle for the 4th gen max..

I was just about to pull the trigger on the GSP's for 70$ a side or so..

Someone mentioned raxles on another thread but i think they are way more expensive! Over a hundred each i heard but i dont have an exact price yet.

Any honorable mentions in the axle world? with a good price point too...??
(+ liftetime warranty, but i dont want to be changing axles every 3 months either)
Old 07-05-2010, 12:17 AM

I'd say Cardone has been pretty good and they also have lifetime...
Old 07-05-2010, 04:18 AM

i had a pair in my 5th gen for 6 months before i sold it and havent had a problem with them, like the other op stated its hit or miss with them, maybe you should contact gsp if you feel like youre being screwed?
Old 07-05-2010, 05:54 AM

if ur car is lowered u are going to go through axles like water anyway. i buy them and just replace them on warranty everytime. Im not paying for raxles thou.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 AM

hope i hit and not miss

just had a guy put on two front gsp axles for 100 bucks....he didn't do half of the stuff he was supposed to but anyways i hope i hit with these and not miss....I'll report back if they break soon...if they do I'll be going with the raxles better start saving though at 140 a piece
Old 07-05-2010, 07:01 AM

Moog is the best way to go for part...
Old 07-05-2010, 07:07 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by kyle_wise07
N00b question..... Whats a gsp axle? Im just starting to get into cars.. And what i do know is mostly body work... So please dont hate too much .. Lol..
The new axles that advance auto sells. It comes in a blue box.

I've gone through about 7 sets of these axles myself. One of which lasted a whopping 5 days. But I figure that I'm so low anyways that no matter what brand I get, i'll go through them in no time.

The main problem I've experienced with these is they make the absolute worst thumping sound/feeling when moving off from a low speed. You can feel it coming from the passanger side. I thought this was from being so low too. But a friend of mine is just about as low as me experienced the same thing with these axles. When he switched to another brand it went away and has been good for months now. I'm gonna try another brand and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I've gone though about 11 or 12 driver side Duracrap "new" axles in 2 years... and its currently clicking but that one was my fault for accidently pulling and "dislocating" it. Didnt feel like pulling the boot and readjusting so I just banged the **** out of it knowing I'll be replacing it once again shortly. Ugh
Old 07-05-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Great, look like I should get another axle as a spare.

I put Napa axles in my old 96 back before I even had real tools. Never one issue over 5 or so years and Id guess 70k miles. Its still in the family and I have not heard about it needing axles yet. It must have 220-250k by now.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Great, look like I should get another axle as a spare.

I put Napa axles in my old 96 back before I even had real tools. Never one issue over 5 or so years and Id guess 70k miles. Its still in the family and I have not heard about it needing axles yet. It must have 220-250k by now.
awesome to hear cause i have brand new napa axles sitting behind me and just about ready to put them in!!!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 PM

From what I have read(not only in this thread) and my experience, GSP is the first brand you should avoid.
Raxle? I heard a lot, but it's much pricey. a pair would cost $400, including shipping.

Napa axle seems to have reputation here. but new will cost $100 per side. But I think it's worth.

So, if you want to keep you car for more than 5 years, maybe you should go for raxle. if just for 2-3 years, NAPA is a good choice.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:26 PM

Forgot to mention, I recently replaced my driver side axle in April with a Napa one...so far I would've gone through 2 duracrap ones so I can say it seems to be a quality axle...
Old 07-05-2010, 10:39 PM

I installed these axles on both sides of my car about 2 years ago... I put approx 20,000 miles on them and the driver side boot ripped recently. I took the axle out and back to advance, they gave me a new one, and told me that my motor and tranny mounts could be causing the boot to tear....has anyone else heard this from the people at Advance and is it possible that it is my mounts?
Old 07-05-2010, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Phatmax98
I installed these axles on both sides of my car about 2 years ago... I put approx 20,000 miles on them and the driver side boot ripped recently. I took the axle out and back to advance, they gave me a new one, and told me that my motor and tranny mounts could be causing the boot to tear....has anyone else heard this from the people at Advance and is it possible that it is my mounts?
Bad mounts AND other suspension problems could cause the axle to go bad but I doubt the boot would go bad before the axle if that were the case.

If the axle boot got torn, chances are temperature is the case. Extreme heat could cause dry rot while extreme cold could simply harden the rubber/plastic and over time after having both of these temps, it'll eventually fail. Perhaps a hint of vinyl/leather/dash conditioner might extend the life if that was the case.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:42 AM

where can i find raxle axles?
im tired of hearing the clicks after a week of installation... this is my fourth in two months!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:31 PM

where to find raxle axles

raxles.com
Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Bad mounts AND other suspension problems could cause the axle to go bad but I doubt the boot would go bad before the axle if that were the case.

If the axle boot got torn, chances are temperature is the case. Extreme heat could cause dry rot while extreme cold could simply harden the rubber/plastic and over time after having both of these temps, it'll eventually fail. Perhaps a hint of vinyl/leather/dash conditioner might extend the life if that was the case.
I get what your saying about temperature changes, but for a boot to last only 20k miles seems rather short to me. I am wondering if the rubber they use on the axles is cheap material, I mean the part does come from China, so I wouldn't doubt it. I just don't know what is causing it to tear, I don't hear any weird noises or clunking that would indicate my mounts being loose. Oh well I think I may just take it to my mechanic to see what he says. My car is completely stock btw.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:12 PM

I've got GSP axles with about 5k miles. I've been really trying to figure out where the hell that thumping/clicking noise was coming from with initial acceleration. So it's the axle huh?

If it makes sense... I can duplicate the noise by putting it in gear without pressing on the brake but engaging the parking brake so I don't move. If I'm pressing on the brakes, no noise.

At any rate, it sounds bad, like a suspension component is loose, but I can't find anything loose.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:40 AM

So a couple votes for napa and a few for raxles..

What do you guys think about reconditioned or refurbed axles. I went on the napa site and they had new and reconditioned ones.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 98MaximaDriver
So a couple votes for napa and a few for raxles..

What do you guys think about reconditioned or refurbed axles. I went on the napa site and they had new and reconditioned ones.
I asked about refurbished axles when I was changing mine, and heard nothing but bad things, just go with new ones.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'll try to make it short....installed two Napa axles in August, and had to remove them to do a clutch and rear main seal job. Passenger side came out just fine, driver side was stuck and would not come out. Sent the trans and axle off to the trans shop and they had to disassemble the trans to get it out. Apparently, the C retaining clip was too big and got lodged in the transmission. $325 transmission bill later, never buying Napa axles again. The majority of them are likely good quality. I ordered Raxles to replace them.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:34 PM

Marty and Raxles are the best way to go. Sure you can do the job cheaper with AZ or DAP but you'll end taking them back out and redoing the job again. With Raxles you'll do the job once and have axles and boots that will stand the test of time. Besides, why would you want a cheap part between your powerplant and the where the rubber meets the road? http://www.raxles.com/

Happy and Safe New Year, Mark V.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:04 PM

sucks that a bunch of people in this old *** thread had problems with GSP, i havent had any issues yet with mine, im lowered on coilovers also. and i rarely ever get them returned either (i work at advance)
Old 12-30-2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by toddemullins
I'll try to make it short....installed two Napa axles in August, and had to remove them to do a clutch and rear main seal job. Passenger side came out just fine, driver side was stuck and would not come out. Sent the trans and axle off to the trans shop and they had to disassemble the trans to get it out. Apparently, the C retaining clip was too big and got lodged in the transmission. $325 transmission bill later, never buying Napa axles again. The majority of them are likely good quality. I ordered Raxles to replace them.
Crow bar. That would have solved ur problem. if i have a problem pulling an axle out a break out the crowbar comes out in less then 10sec.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the help, but that is the usual method when there is not a C retaining clip slipped out of the axle groove and lodged between the axle spline and gear. The only way to remove the axle without damaging the transmission is to disassemble and pull the C clip out with some needle nose pliers. Believe me, I tried the old crowbar method first.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ya i recently just went to advanced and got a gsp axle... so thank you advance for f'ing my car up ... def gonna go with napa or raxles now. i will never do that bs lifetime warrenty crap again. you get what you pay for.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM

just an FYI 2" drop and above...you're fine on GSP axles...my GSP didnt mess up/bust the boot until i went lower on coilovers.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM

The other axles that Advance sells seem to work pretty well. Fenco is the brand. They're cheaper and supposed to be remanufactured, but they're apparently generally low on cores and end up shipping new ones instead. Had mine on the left for over a year now, still going strong.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 AM

4/2/07, 140,538; Right Front Axle, $75; NAPA
11/22/09 190,885; Left Front Axle, $68; Advance
As of 4/26/11, 216,695, both axles doing fine.
Totally stock vehicle, no lowering, etc.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 PM

Fuuuu, why didn't I search about GSP axles?

My brand new GSP is clicking less than 60 days old.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Go with Raxles or OEM replacements.

Have had a 0.5" ~ 1.5" drop over the years and had the Raxles on since '06 with about 30K miles on them now. Around 2000 miles were on road courses with r-compunds, auto-x, and 1/4 mile passes. ZERO problems with these axles so far and the dust boots still look good.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:06 AM

Bumping this to continue keeping people away from GSP axles. I installed a pair last September and both driver side and passenger side CV boots are spitting grease all over my wheel wells already. I almost got a year out of them! I'm buying Raxles to replace them. Oh yeah, I'm riding on a bone-stock suspension setup.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 AM

*on DSS axles from Napa, no grease slingage as of yes*
Old 09-06-2011, 10:36 AM

I have never used the ones from advance auto/auto zone. However I had good luck using OMPI axles that i had purchased from rock-auto.

Quick Reply: Never buy GSP axles !!!