4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ebay Springs? They're cheap but are they good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:34 PM

Another set of Ebay srpings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...item53e1dcad4b

NOTE****

the seller description says they are rolled from SAE cold wound steel. Anything with a SAE stamp is approved and legit.

EDIT:

Still no name brand tho....
Old 06-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by aackshun

[Ok, you got me there, I mean Struts/Springs]

Still find it bit hard to believe you could can find OEM struts, which are Tokico's for under 140.00.

[Disagreeing here, he asked if anyone has used the springs in question, and asked for strut suggestions, for us to simply ASSUME what he meant is just wrong and is the problem with MOST threads here, some people cannot clearly state what they want, some people can, to me the OP seemed clear and direct, and then the usual org nonsense ensued]

Who assumed anything? He asked if anyone had heard of or had the springs he linked to. Everyone then chimed in, and stated that they were a no name branded spring and advised to stay away from them. Everyone then began offering suggestions for struts since he asked...
do I have to go with a performance shock like a KYB, Illumina, HP, ect? Correct me if I'm wrong

[any spring will sag over time... Now I know you have more than just this tiny community here backing your opinion so I won't peck at that, but hey, there are MANY people riding dz's and other cheap springs w/o cracking/breaking problems. Hell, just as many people with broken coilover setups that are waiting on a rebuild... Pick and chose your battles pending your wallet, all of us can't ball like you man... well not yet ]

I dont agree with any spring sagging over time. Ive known many with lowering springs theyve had on their cars for a good number of years and their stance is just as it was when they first lowered it. Also many vehicles are still running their OEM springs years and years later and still arent sagging. Yes, other parts will have been replaced in time, but those parts are designed to be replaced due to wear and tear. Yes, there are some coilovers that have had issues, just becuase its a coilover system doesnt automatically make them high quality. Once again it breaks down to the brand and quality of the manufacturer
Didnt you purchase your car already lowered?
If so its not really fair to say your setup is holding up because you dont really know what all was replaced at the time that it was lowered. Another thing is that your current drop, isnt a real aggressive one in the area of 2" which is what everyone has been refering to.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by cashoit
Another set of Ebay srpings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...item53e1dcad4b

NOTE****

the seller description says they are rolled from SAE cold wound steel. Anything with a SAE stamp is approved and legit.

EDIT:

Still no name brand tho....
Just because the seller claims that, doesnt mean it actaully is. The fact is, unless you know the quality of the manfacturer and their reputation for making quality parts, its all speculation.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Didnt you purchase your car already lowered?
If so its not really fair to say your setup is holding up because you dont really know what all was replaced at the time that it was lowered. Another thing is that your current drop, isnt a real aggressive one in the area of 2" which is what everyone has been refering to.
Argh, I can't quote a quote!!

1. Here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...Q5fAccessories

It's 150, not 140, my bad.

2. Sorry, I coulda SWORN i saw other people talking about other springs.

3. I'm nowhere near as well versed in maxima's performance parts over time as you are, but ran into one maxima on a illumina/s.tech setup his car is killing mine in terms of stance (lower), i've seen other "good" springs sag over the years, HnR's, H.techs, etc (just not on a Maxima).... Anyways in reference to that S.Tech/Illumina setup, after seeing it, it made me wonder if DZ really gave you a 2.2/2.0 drop until I ran into other cars on the street and realize how much lower than them I am, besides maximas towering over me, today's shocker was a scion TC putting a shadow on me.

edit: removed this section, check your pm Ralph!!!

anddd.... 4!

I talked to Kenneth (The owner before Jr., who only had the car for a few months by the way), according to him he didn't replace the struts when he dropped it, just cut the bump stops, I lost his number tho, wish I could ask him other things to solve some of these mysteries on my car....

Last edited by aackshun; 06-29-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:54 AM
Addicted to the Org

We need to find a trusted org member who has a spare 4th gen laying around. Then when something like this comes around, we can all pitch in a few bucks and order stuff. He gives us feedback, and we all win.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 AM

I would try the ebay springs but I'm afraid 2" is to much of a drop for my car after I put the rims on

Old 07-01-2010, 10:17 AM

classic setup....its a proven win. YUP!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 PM

slam it am going to slam mine
Old 07-12-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by maximized98
We need to find a trusted org member who has a spare 4th gen laying around. Then when something like this comes around, we can all pitch in a few bucks and order stuff. He gives us feedback, and we all win.
One day.... Oh one day....

If I ever get a second maxima it will be the test animal.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
One day.... Oh one day....

If I ever get a second maxima it will be the test animal.
if you all want to buy me parts ill gladly test them and write up some reviews. just as long as i get to keep them when i'm done
Old 07-12-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Doomi30
if you all want to buy me parts ill gladly test them and write up some reviews. just as long as i get to keep them when i'm done
not
Old 08-11-2010, 09:28 AM

I know this old, but hey I'm new ... and I've done lots or searches ... so just want to confirm one thing ... MAXSPEED springs will be OK with Tokico Blue ?? in term of reliability? I'm not concern about the ride, I used to have an 88 Z31 Shiro Ed , anyone has it know how stiff that little z is... Anyhow, please just give me a ya or nay ... before break my bank for an eibach pro kit .... thank you
Old 08-11-2010, 09:31 AM

BTW, I'm replacing my suspension out of necessity ... not trying to make my Max to look like a sports car (it's not in any shape or form lol) all my springs are sagged, and all shocks only have oxygen in there ... haha
Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Henryzx
I know this old, but hey I'm new ... and I've done lots or searches ... so just want to confirm one thing ... MAXSPEED springs will be OK with Tokico Blue ?? in term of reliability? I'm not concern about the ride, I used to have an 88 Z31 Shiro Ed , anyone has it know how stiff that little z is... Anyhow, please just give me a ya or nay ... before break my bank for an eibach pro kit .... thank you
The blues w/ maxspeed is a proven win. Or jus get the entire blues kit.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:04 PM

and not to mention that "option racing" is a well known aftermarket company at least in the honda world.. i know bc i had 2 inch drop springs on my civic before i got the coilovers.. and the ones i had were great.. stiffened up the ride a bit and gave me a good ride and drop i very highly recommend those springs
Old 08-13-2010, 09:14 AM

did anybody end up purchasing these springs? i cracked one of my eibachs a couple days ago and looking for a more aggressive drop for hella cheap. think i should guinea pig these?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by beatdown97
and not to mention that "option racing" is a well known aftermarket company at least in the honda world.. i know bc i had 2 inch drop springs on my civic before i got the coilovers.. and the ones i had were great.. stiffened up the ride a bit and gave me a good ride and drop i very highly recommend those springs
Thats not saying much, Honda has a huge demand for aftermarket parts. In order for companies to compete with each other, parts have to be made and sold cheaper then each of their competitors which results in people buying parts for a really cheap price.
Just because a majority choose to go the cheap route, and buy these cheap parts doesnt mean they are of good quality.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:02 PM

ive had these springs sitting around for ****in ever. i finally just got a cheap set of blues to put em on and once i get them ill be putting them on. just lookin to slam it for the moment lol. once i get a lip kit ill go coilover. FINGERS CROSSED. will post pics when done...
Old 08-20-2011, 07:50 PM

have had maxspeed springs with kyb-gr2's for 3 and a half years and no problems. stiff ride but sturdy as hell. decent imo
Old 08-20-2011, 07:54 PM

old thread...
Old 08-21-2011, 07:38 AM

well i bumped it with something related to the thread...