4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Upgrade Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Upgrade Engine

Hey , guys I have a 98 Max and i want to upgrade from the stock engine, what would be a good upgrade? A my buddy told me to go with a 350z engine, but i dont see that engine ready match up with my car
Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/4...swap-info.html

This and more info is in the All Motor section.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/4...swap-info.html

This and more info is in the All Motor section.
Look up the DE-K swap while you're in there, pretty much the same as the 00VI but hey getting a lower mileage engine is always a plus, right?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 PM

while your hanging out in all motor tell your friend he is a fool, even though he knows a small amount about our engines, RWD motor/=FWD

and these are maximas not hondahs, we dont have direct swap engines, you either have to build one or custom.
currently im in the midst of a cam and piston build with that 00vi setup you were linked. get to know your car and go from there.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Webhead
Hey , guys I have a 98 Max and i want to upgrade from the stock engine, what would be a good upgrade? A my buddy told me to go with a 350z engine, but i dont see that engine ready match up with my car

There are only two practical swaps that have more power than the stock engine.

1.) VQ30DE-K (2000 and 2001 Maxima) 222crankhp vs 190

If your current engine is running fine, you can just swap lower and upper intake manifolds, fuel rail, injectors, throttlebody, IACV, and EGR guide tube, and you have essentially turned your VQ30DE into a DE-K. This is called the 00vi swap. Read up and search on it for this swap, there are tons of threads out there that are very helpful.

2.) VQ35 FWD only (2002-2008 Maxima, 2002-2006 Altima, and similar Quest, and Murano) 255ish crankhp

Also a lot on this swap, easiest is to make it a hybrid with VQ30 timing components so it works with your ECU. Swap the timing stuff from the VQ30 onto the VQ35 and drop it in, in a nutshell.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 PM

true bro... VQ35 FWD is a direct drop. Unless you want to go crazy and do a custom rb26 like one of the guys on here... But like said before me, find info and go from there. When you do mods, post it up so we can see what upgrades you put in and how you think it benefits you and how it could benefit us also..
Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 PM

DEK swap is nice but if you just want to upgrade your engine, go with the 3.5.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 AM

FAIL
Old 03-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit

FAIL
man sure wish i could mock a new user just because something he was told is wrong but he wants to better his car.

he sure is stupid your right.
your the idiot.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Webhead
in addition to the info you got in this thread, get yourself a copy of the FSM and a haynes/chilton repair manual. start learning HOW our cars work. Get yourself a good set of metric tools ect. and if possible hook up with some fellow .org members in your area,you never know when they may have a project that they could use help on.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
in addition to the info you got in this thread, get yourself a copy of the FSM and a haynes/chilton repair manual. start learning HOW our cars work. Get yourself a good set of metric tools ect. and if possible hook up with some fellow .org members in your area,you never know when they may have a project that they could use help on.
THIS!x100
Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
THIS!x100
this x10
if you need one i can email you my copy youll use it WAY more than you think, better than spending money on a useless haynes like i did
Old 03-10-2010, 03:58 AM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by HandsonMaxima.
man sure wish i could mock a new user just because something he was told is wrong but he wants to better his car.

your the idiot.

To the OP:

If you want a no-hassle, almost "plug & play" upgrade, install the DE-K motor (or just the 00VI) with a JWT ECU. I had this combo with a 7200 rev limit JWT, and it was amazing. If you want to go for the gold, head over to the all motor section and research the 3.5 swap. Needless to say, this install will be much more in depth.

OT: Cashoit, why do you quote yourself randomly in your signature?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:09 AM

your the idiot.

OP,

Unless you have considerable engine knowledge, garage, tools, tuning capabilities, time, a 3.5L or DE-K engine, and about 3k bucks you shdnt attempt a swap.

You really gotta SEARCH. There are alotta good threads for doing a swap and its pretty EXTENSIVE. Its not easy or cheap at all. Nor is F/I.

Check out Kevlo911 FAQ stickie. Its good for listing performance mods and understanding our cars.

Im not trying to discourage you and i help everyone on the org cuz i was a newbie too once, its yur money and car so do what u want, but i jus want to be real with you about swapping engines. Its not for the average joe.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by CRiME

To the OP:

If you want a no-hassle, almost "plug & play" upgrade, install the DE-K motor (or just the 00VI) with a JWT ECU. I had this combo with a 7200 rev limit JWT, and it was amazing. If you want to go for the gold, head over to the all motor section and research the 3.5 swap. Needless to say, this install will be much more in depth.

OT: Cashoit, why do you quote yourself randomly in your signature?
Haha I have seen some funny stuff on the org and made some awesome quotes. I had to put em in my sig.

The first quote is cuz honestly there is no point to removing the cat, no significant HP gains, jus a hassel and weird blue smelly plume of smoke out yur exhaust.

The second and third are from when whitemaxima had a starter locked in his engine for months. He was finally able to remove it and get the car started. It turned out that somehow his splashguard had lodged itself in his pulleys??? It was good tryin to troubleshoot that one.

THe fourth, I really like njmax's quote cuz its sooooo true.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:05 PM

OP,

Unless you have considerable engine knowledge, garage, tools, tuning capabilities, time, a 3.5L or DE-K engine, and about 3k bucks you shdnt attempt a swap.

You really gotta SEARCH. There are alotta good threads for doing a swap and its pretty EXTENSIVE. Its not easy or cheap at all. Nor is F/I.

Check out Kevlo911 FAQ stickie. Its good for listing performance mods and understanding our cars.

Im not trying to discourage you and i help everyone on the org cuz i was a newbie too once, its yur money and car so do what u want, but i jus want to be real with you about swapping engines. Its not for the average joe.
i apologize for my remark against you. just to let you know. it was out of line.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:30 AM

i apologize for my remark against you. just to let you know. it was out of line.

Yo its cool Handson, no offense taken.

Edit made!!!!!! lol

Last edited by cashoit; 03-11-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 AM
oem ftw!

Yo its cool Handsome, no offense taken.

Cash, I hope that was a typo!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 PM

Yo its cool Handson, no offense taken.

Edit made!!!!!! lol
its
"hands-on-maxima" lol
i was wondering when that mistake would be made since i made the s/n
Old 06-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Banned

what is jwt web site
Old 06-11-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by clashez1983
what is jwt web site

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/
Old 06-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would have to say the vq3.5 engine its more powerful but it is less durable it all up to u if you want a very durable engine stay with the one you have or if u want power go for the vq35 i stayed with my engine i just changed every part of it camshafts pistons piston rings spark plugs and high fuel injectors all the gaskets and added a turbo kit and intake it shines and its way more powerful now and way more durable thats all i have to say send me a message u sound cool and i dont got a friend yet
Old 06-11-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Luckymax22
I would have to say the vq3.5 engine its more powerful but it is less durable it all up to u if you want a very durable engine stay with the one you have or if u want power go for the vq35 i stayed with my engine i just changed every part of it camshafts pistons piston rings spark plugs and high fuel injectors all the gaskets and added a turbo kit and intake it shines and its way more powerful now and way more durable thats all i have to say send me a message u sound cool and i dont got a friend yet
Pics or

Op, like many others said, you have alot of reading to do. It really all depends on your skill level. How much of the work can you perform yourself? If you and a couple of local .orgers can handle a VQ35 swap then it would trully be worth it. However if you cannot tackle this type of project, be prepared to either spend quite a bit of money, or look elsewhere. As mentioned previosly, you would have to build a hybrid motor, running your stock timing components. Im not sure where your located, but in ny there are people who have done many vq35 swaps, and could hook you up for relatively cheap. The motor can be had for an about $500-900. In fact if your in the ny area I know someone selling them right now for $650 with a month warranty.

Im not sure how serious you are about this, but if you can hande the workload, I would say go for it. Start reading the all motor section. Goodluck
Old 06-11-2010, 08:59 PM

Id love to do the 3.5l swap. it would be awesome but i dont see my motor goin for a while and my pockets are not that deep....
Old 06-12-2010, 08:07 AM

on behalf of the .org..... STFU! do you have any idea what you just said?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:29 AM

i stayed with my engine i just changed every part of it camshafts pistons piston rings spark plugs and high fuel injectors all the gaskets and added a turbo kit and intake it shines and its way more powerful now and way more durable thats all i have to say send me a message u sound cool and i dont got a friend yet

Originally Posted by Blackwind
on behalf of the .org..... STFU! do you have any idea what you just said?