4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone who installed Slim Radiator Fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anyone who installed Slim Radiator Fan

I installed two of those Slim radiator fans, It had two wires and the oem fans have 4 wire's being that they are 2 speed. The once I have are single speed. But here is the issue now The fan's only spin whenever the AC is on and not regularly. Have anyone installed them and had similar issues and how they have resolved it. Thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 PM

Maybe you have the wires connected wrong. On the stock fan:
pin 1 = white/black stripe - low speed positive connection
pin 2 = white/blue stripe - high speed positive connection
pin 3 = white/red stripe - low speed negative connection (ground)
pin 4 = solid black - high speed negative connection (ground)
All the wires except for pin 4 (black wire, ground) come through a relay. Each fan has its own relay and is controlled by the ECU.
This info is in the service manual, section EC, page 344.
Need a manual? http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/
Old 06-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Whatchyou say?

Just wire it to a thermostat switch. You can pick one up at radio shack I'm willing to bet. Or, you could just wire it to a switch. They are run via a relay so when you kick on the A/C, the fans come on to cool the R134-A in the condensor. You want them on with the A/C for sure, and when they need to be (after operating temp is achieved).

To put it simply, if you know about wiring (hint above this post!) then wire it up and if you need to, install a switch.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Floppy Fans

So, my 97 VQ30 has been having an intermittent overheating problem in stop n go traffic and with the a/c on. The fans have not been coming on even when the car is running hot, so I did some troubleshooting this evening, checked the relays and such, and all appeared to be good. Then I checked the fans themselves, and found that the blade assemblies seemed to have fallen off of the drive shafts or something, because they flop around and when I try to push them in, I can feel the fan motors running. Has anyone else heard of this happening? What's strange is it's both of them with the same issue. I would have posted this as a new thread, but haven't hit my 15 yet, so thanks in advance for any input.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Maybe you have the wires connected wrong. On the stock fan:
pin 1 = white/black stripe - low speed positive connection
pin 2 = white/blue stripe - high speed positive connection
pin 3 = white/red stripe - low speed negative connection (ground)
pin 4 = solid black - high speed negative connection (ground)
All the wires except for pin 4 (black wire, ground) come through a relay. Each fan has its own relay and is controlled by the ECU.
This info is in the service manual, section EC, page 344.
Need a manual? http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/
I've read the manual, and from what I understand I have it wired correctly, the ground on the fan are the black and yellow wires. The other two wires are hooked up to the positive on the fan. And being that its control by the relay, it controls when lo speed is turned on by one pole on the relay and hi speed by another pole on the relay. I may be wrong but for low speed is the voltage lower then on the hi speed.

Originally Posted by JtzMax
Just wire it to a thermostat switch. You can pick one up at radio shack I'm willing to bet. Or, you could just wire it to a switch. They are run via a relay so when you kick on the A/C, the fans come on to cool the R134-A in the condensor. You want them on with the A/C for sure, and when they need to be (after operating temp is achieved).

To put it simply, if you know about wiring (hint above this post!) then wire it up and if you need to, install a switch.
So hook up the thermostat switch to 12 volts and the other to the fan so whenever it turns on the fan turns on. Am I getting this right?

Originally Posted by BlackMax1997
So, my 97 VQ30 has been having an intermittent overheating problem in stop n go traffic and with the a/c on. The fans have not been coming on even when the car is running hot, so I did some troubleshooting this evening, checked the relays and such, and all appeared to be good. Then I checked the fans themselves, and found that the blade assemblies seemed to have fallen off of the drive shafts or something, because they flop around and when I try to push them in, I can feel the fan motors running. Has anyone else heard of this happening? What's strange is it's both of them with the same issue. I would have posted this as a new thread, but haven't hit my 15 yet, so thanks in advance for any input.
My fans seems to run properly without any issues, but they car does seem to overheat sometimes when the a/c is on in traffic like you mentioned

Last edited by urmab; 06-05-2010 at 10:44 PM.