4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car "puttering" when accelerating from stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:56 AM

Car "puttering" when accelerating from stop

Howdy all,

Recently, my car has begun puttering a little bit (but increasingly more) when I accelerate from a stop. Once I get above 2nd gear, no puttering exists. By puttering I mean its not a consistent acceleration, just feels like it skips a beat, but doesn't really feel like a true tranny problem either (based on my past tranny experiences with other cars).

Pulled the codes and they are the standards P0325 (Knock Sensor), P0400 (EGR system) and P0443 (EVAP Canister Purge Cut Switch/Valve). I've had these codes for a while but haven't gotten around to fully resolving them due to more pressing issues (and laziness).

I replaced the KS already, but didn't do the harnesses at the time since I was hopeful the KS itself was the problem. I have yet to investigate the EGR or Evap Canister Valve issues.

Just curious, based on everyone's experience, is the puttering I'm getting something that would be expected from one (or all of these codes)? I'm hesitant to blame anything on the KS, becasue the old one fell to pieces when I pulled it out so I don't think it had worked in years, and this puttering is a new phenomenon. Would the EGS system cause this puttering? My guess is yes but I've never dealt with the EGR system. I'm thinking the Evap Canister Valve (ECPVCV) isnt the culprit either.

Also, in terms of possible other causes, my belts are pretty worn down judging by the squeaking I get in the cold or rain. Is it possible the belts could get so worn that they would cause my puttering problem (but only in the lower gears when accelerating froma stop)?

Let me know your thoughts, I'm beginning my own investigation in past posts but am hopeful my EGR leaning is correct and from there hopefully there's enough info to help me solve this without dropping too much $$$. Now that I have a job I don't have the time I used to, what a horrible catch 22 lol.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:09 PM

What shape is your clutch in?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:36 PM

Its an auto

But the shifts have become very noticeable which is why I worded my initial post as I did. Sorry if it confused...
Old 04-06-2010, 10:11 PM

My car is doing the same thing. Search: Hesitation. Everyone is saying the usual: clean MAF, Change Plugs, Check Coil, Clean EGR.

I haven't done any of these things(too poor), my idea is that it is the TPS(throttle position sensor). Maybe the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor or the KS. I was having random stalling when cold(bad) but one time even after 25miles at 80mph when I was downshifting to 3rd to get on it hard, the clutch going in casued it to flatline on an offramp at 50mph----WELL I tightened the throttle cables until they pulled just a little bit taut, but still rested on the stop. IT HASN'T STALLED IN A MONTH. I wasn't going to post that on here b/c I didn't want to jinx myself!

But now, occasionally(did it tonight for 20minutes straight in stop and go!), it will pudder/bog down/hesitate in 1st,2nd,3rd at low rpm's(700-1800) in stop and go traffic when I am trying to feather the clutch out and use the gas pedal.

When I get enough money, I am going to get a NEW MAF, TPS, Plugs, TB Gasket, IACV Gasket, and clean the EGR tube in one fell swoop. Probably spending about $250? Then work backwards from there.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:45 AM

It probably could be any of those...

max 96, it honestly could be any of your suggested fixes. I would say try to clean the MAF before buying a new one. Its probably the easiest thing you can do under the hood (that isn't checking fluid levels :-)) Clean first, re-install, if it doesn't work, then buy replacements.

To me it doesn't feel like a plug/coil issue, but those are also easy issues to check and repair (i have some coil packs I pulled at a scrapyard if I need them).

My guess is if you clean MAF/TB/IACV/EGR Guide Tube, your performance will improve. I'm betting the same for my car, hopefully I can get around to it this weekend myself.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 PM

I did the MAF clean and put a 300zx fuel filter in with new fuel hose. Running nicely, will see if any of the random stalling events happen in the next month.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:55 PM

Good max96

Glad you tried the cleaning first. With the types of symptoms you described, it struck me as a MAF, ECTS or something else (TB/IACV/EGR tube issue). All of which can be done pretty easily yourself (except the EGR guide tube, which i tried this weekend myself to epic failure).,

Hopefully the stalling goes away, but if it doesn't read some posts on ECTS (engine coolant temp sensor) and see if the symptoms match to that. Its what fixed mine.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by rdw72777
Glad you tried the cleaning first. With the types of symptoms you described, it struck me as a MAF, ECTS or something else (TB/IACV/EGR tube issue). All of which can be done pretty easily yourself (except the EGR guide tube, which i tried this weekend myself to epic failure).,

Hopefully the stalling goes away, but if it doesn't read some posts on ECTS (engine coolant temp sensor) and see if the symptoms match to that. Its what fixed mine.
+1

If the sputtering comes back then its the MAF. Make sure air filter is clean to protect the MAF from dirt.