4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Front end vibration...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:07 AM

Front end vibration...

I've searched, but am at a loss...

Here's the issue - car has hit 202k, and while driving, at random varying speeds, I get a bad vibration - through the whole car, almost like a wheel is out of balance.

Took the car in, and got the wheels balanced - problem persists. wheels are not bent. it's vibrating the car badly enough, i can't isolate if it's front or rear. There is no noise - just vibration. The vibe is more noticeable on cement paving, and less so on tar/gravel tarmac roads... the speed varies depending on the road itself.

In the last year, I installed a set of the e-bay front control arms, as the OEM bushings were gone. When I took it in for the alignment, as I replaced the outer tie rod ends, as well, they got it squared up, but it stil had a MINOR shake then. My R&P is leaking, but doesn't have any play in it - and I thought it was this...

Couple weeks later, took in for state inspection, and the same shop identified that the passenger side control are was "loose" - so I went home and retorqued it...

with this info - remember, there is NO NOISE... just shake and vibration, it has steadily gotten worse over the last couple of weeks.

I am getting in bad physical shape (Bad back and knees) making it hard to keep doing this work. I WANT to rebuild the entire front end properly - I have a new R&P assembly, and wanting to replace the CA bushing, BJ's, etc.. with quality components (Moog & Energy Suspension Poly)... but I'm not wanting to invest this kind of time and money, and still have this shake when done...

I'm on the verge of getting rid of the car... please, suggestions...
Old 03-23-2013, 11:33 AM

Since you had the wheels balanced, I guess we can rule them out. Other possibilities are axle shafts and the brake rotors.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:28 PM

I was wondering on the cv's myself... I did replace one of them with a LT warranty one at the same time I did the CA's - and it's boot has already split... while this WAS a local farmed part, from Advanced Auto, I believe, it was NOT a reman, but a "NEW" axle..

The OTHER CV, the boot is intact, but severely dry checked, and cracking - not going to last much longer...

Now, I just have to get everything together, and find enough time to tackle the entire thing at one shot... and due to my issues, will need to find a friend to help... don't have many of them left... most moved away...
Old 03-23-2013, 03:53 PM

I have the same problem. It happens most at 70 mph.

I'll let you know if I find a solution. And, please let me know if you find a solution.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:01 PM

couple years ago on my 95 i had a bad shake at all speed replaced just about everything but the drive shafts and it still shook bad. so for the hell of it i pulled a set of axles out the junk yard at 20 apiece changed the passenger side out an rode like a dream.
dont know how to tell if it was bad no torn boots but it was bad
Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 PM

maybe they are out of balance...
Old 03-23-2013, 09:20 PM

Hold the axle with a hand on each side of the cv joint and wiggle it up and down. You should not be able to detect any play.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:21 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Tires.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:27 AM

Yesterday while running errands, for the first time, when I would make ANY right turn at a light, etc..., not a sweeping turn, The passenger side would "Clunk" - not the CV clicking... but a CLUNK... just once, like something shifting...

IF I keep the car, I'm planning on all new ES Poly CA bushings, and new MOOG BJ, End links, etc... also HAVE to replace the axles...

As for the comment on tires, i balanced these wheels as I knew they were out of balance - but I swapped tires and wheels with a friend's Altima, and the vibe was still there - so I can rule out wheels / tires...

UGH!

Well, IF I keep it, I can look forward to a BRAND-NEW condition, tight front-end... that's one good thing... I just HAVE to find someone who can help me do the work.....
Old 03-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Vibrations come from rotational imbalance.
Things that rotate:
Wheels, tires, drive shaft, brakes your engine and transmission.

If the front end is loose you'll wonder, poor feel for the road, sloppy steering.

Loose or tight front end with rotational imbalance(s) will vibrate.

FYI - I had a set of Goodyear Comfortreads that balanced perfectly even on a road force machine, yet I got a slight vibration above 80mph. Had them for 2 years until I finally decided to toss them for a set of Kuhoms on sale at tirerack. Car is like glass now up into triple digits.

Control arms, bushings, tie rod ends, drive shafts all original, 200k on the car. It was the "perfectly balanced" tires that caused the 2 years of poor ride quality.

Last edited by njmaxseltd; 03-24-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:24 PM

I'm in the exact same boat as this guy. I know its not the tires (at least for me), because I just got new ones 1 month ago. After driving 70-80 mph about 120 miles this weekend I noticed the shaking got a lot worse. It happens at almost all speeds now. I also hear the same clunking.

I'm thinking its the drive shafts. On my way out the door to check it out now.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:10 PM

Drive shafts are rock solid from what I can tell. But, I do have some pretty bad play on the inner tie rod passenger side (front to rear movement).
Old 03-24-2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlackThornDemon
Drive shafts are rock solid from what I can tell. But, I do have some pretty bad play on the inner tie rod passenger side (front to rear movement).
sounds like you found your issue