4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I know you guys are probably not lawyers but I need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 06:24 PM

I know you guys are probably not lawyers but I need advice.

Ok, Well if some of you have noticed I was always complaining about a gas smell that I could really never locate. Well I just found out today that an install were BestBuy Installed A fuse holder in my car and drilled 3 holes into my tank... I never noticed it until I removed the screws. And well. Its been a little while since the install and I really don't know how I can prove that they did it. I can get a receipt of the install from their databases but that doesn't mean anything. I know I need to talk to a lawyer but I figured this would be a good place to start to see if any of you guys been screwed by installs or at least dealerships that **** up.

I need a new tank. and I want damages back as well.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:59 PM

Not a lawyer but from what I know about civil suits I would say you have something of a claim.

Here is what the steps would be IMO,
#1 Identify problem, done; You have something mounted on your gas tank by screws which punctured said tank. Take lots and lots of pics, don't touch or move anything related to that being punctured as it is now evidence.

#2 Identify who mounted said device onto gas tank; done; Best Buy

#3 Hire lawyer

#4 Lawyer will prove #2 is responsible for #1; gather every piece of paperwork you can, this is also now evidence, hopefully the paperwork has a detailed description of the work they did, ie run whatever gauge wire to trunk to power amplifier

#5 Identify how this was wrong; in your case gross negligence, destruction of property, loss of money due to gas loss, health damage due to long term exposure to gasoline fumes (has been linked to kidney damage, this one of course would be where most of the cash in restitution would come from and also the hardest to prove in court, you could leave it off and make a small settlement easily as your case would be pretty open and shut without it, with it will be much longer and drawn out, you could always have it on there and hope for a settlement and if it goes to trial drop it)

Gross negligence would be the easiest to prove, there's the obvious they drilled into your gas tank thereby allowing for the mixture of gas and air which is obviously highly combustible. Besides that they drilled into it to mount an electrical line thereby completing the three parts needed to turn your car into a bomb, fuel, air, and ignition source.

Really though gross neg., and recouping money due to lost gas would be easy but you aren't gonna get that much I would guess. As I said money in civil suits really only comes when you get some sort of health damages. Without them I would guess you would be looking at approx. of gas expenditure and legal fees.

Once again I am not a lawyer. The entirety of this post is merely my opinion and is in no way legal counsel. I think you have plenty to go to a lawyer with and that is basically what this post is telling you I think you should do, get a lawyer as long as you can prove your accusations.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by ffcbairn
Not a lawyer but from what I know about civil suits I would say you have something of a claim.

#1 Identify problem, done; You have something mounted on your gas tank by screws which punctured said tank. Take lots and lots of pics, don't touch or move anything related to that being punctured as it is now evidence.

#3 Hire lawyer

#4 Lawyer will prove #2 is responsible for #1; gather every piece of paperwork you can, this is also now evidence, hopefully the paperwork has a detailed description of the work they did, ie run whatever gauge wire to trunk to power amplifier

#5 Identify how this was wrong; in your case gross negligence, destruction of property, loss of money due to gas loss, health damage due to long term exposure to gasoline fumes (has been linked to kidney damage, this one of course would be where most of the cash in restitution would come from and also the hardest to prove in court, you could leave it off and make a small settlement easily as your case would be pretty open and shut without it, with it will be much longer and drawn out, you could always have it on there and hope for a settlement and if it goes to trial drop it)

Gross negligence would be the easiest to prove, there's the obvious they drilled into your gas tank thereby allowing for the mixture of gas and air which is obviously highly combustible. Besides that they drilled into it to mount an electrical line thereby completing the three parts needed to turn your car into a bomb, fuel, air, and ignition source.

Really though gross neg., and recouping money due to lost gas would be easy but you aren't gonna get that much I would guess. As I said money in civil suits really only comes when you get some sort of health damages. Without them I would guess you would be looking at approx. of gas expenditure and legal fees.

Once again I am not a lawyer. The entirety of this post is merely my opinion and is in no way legal counsel. I think you have plenty to go to a lawyer with and that is basically what this post is telling you I think you should do, get a lawyer as long as you can prove your accusations.
Wow!...are you sure your not a lawyer?? Good info...good luck man...get all you can out of their ***!!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM

"So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss."
Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 PM

dude, you know you did'nt drill holes into the tank, its pretty obvious that they did it unless you attempted to install something in the vinicinty and f'ed up. just go in to bb and talk to the installer but get his boss and explain to him that you smelled gas after an install and were'nt sure what it was until you looked and saw what the installer hooked up. if they're honest and back up they're work than they'll have to admit f'in up and fix the situation. pretty simple if you ask me, just hope you aint bs'in us, no offense.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:35 PM

but if they did do it it's not something that should be kept out of the public light. as described, they did create a dangerous situation that was totally preventable had BB employees been properly trained, as described. not really something i think he should handle directly with BB as there is no way a corporate entity is gonna own up to that mess.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Having worked at the former circuit city in the roadshop---- goto BB and go straight to customer service.

#1 ask to talk directly to the store director, have them call you if necessary when he is available. Do not discuss anything with anyone except the ROADSHOP MANANGER OR THE STORE DIRECTOR. This will only spread rumors and they can’t do anything anyways. If you are there between 9-6 the store director should be there. Explain to him the situation and that you need them to cover a new gas tank. He has the authority to clear up situations in his store, especially F up’s his employee’s made. A new tank and such is probably about $1k from Nissan. Do not allow anyone but Nissan to touch your car. Tell the Store Director you want the regional managers name.

#2 if the store directors gives you any sort of kickback get the complaint number to corporate from customer service. At circuit they used to have it directly on the wall. if this # get's called, it is a BIG deal and the store director, district mngr and such all discuss the problem. that's why i say to speak with the store director before you escalate this to LAWYERS and such. Get his business card, and make sure you get the number for the district manager.

#3 at the end of the day you may or may not have suffered damages. i also spent some time in the road shop, and everyone(who has two brain cells) knows not to drill anywhere remotely f%ing near the trunk floor(where the gas tank is located).

#4 THIS IS A MAJOR HAZARD. IF FUMES ARE ESCAPING, AND SCREWS ARE PUNCTURING THE TANK, THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF A SPARK INGNITING FUMES, AND WITH POWER LINES AND SUCH RUNNING BACK THERE....THIS IS FREAKING SERIOUS!

Good luck. Peace, be safe, get this fixed ASAP. DO NOT FILL UP THE GAS TANK COMPLETELY FULL!

Last edited by max96imaaaa; 04-01-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:37 PM

yeah man, as a retail employee i can say that if anyone goes to the district manager he/she will get ANYTHING he/she wants. sometimes its rediculous, but they'll do whatever needs to be done to make the customer happy. i bet if you go straight to the manager or even higher, he'll take care of you right away. may not even need to consult a lawyer.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:48 PM

I'm actually starting Law school so I understand a bit of whats going on, but if you can settle the dispute without contracting a lawyer, do so. Lawyers are expensive and whatever you receive as damages a portion will probably go to the lawyer.

From a legal standpoint I would have to say you are probably going to receive some sort of compensation for damages
Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 PM

Dont forget, Best Buy has good lawyers, and hitmen.... just saying.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 PM

One more point, after dealing with several auto accidents...they will generally give you $500 for the inconvenience and cover repairs. Just sayin' that trying to get much more than that requires permanent injury in minor incidents
Old 04-02-2010, 12:06 AM

at best buy...just flip out and say u want their ins company to fix it
Old 04-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by max96imaaaa
Having worked at the former circuit city in the roadshop---- goto BB and go straight to customer service.

#1 ask to talk directly to the store director, have them call you if necessary when he is available. Do not discuss anything with anyone except the ROADSHOP MANANGER OR THE STORE DIRECTOR. This will only spread rumors and they can’t do anything anyways. If you are there between 9-6 the store director should be there. Explain to him the situation and that you need them to cover a new gas tank. He has the authority to clear up situations in his store, especially F up’s his employee’s made. A new tank and such is probably about $1k from Nissan. Do not allow anyone but Nissan to touch your car. Tell the Store Director you want the regional managers name.

#2 if the store directors gives you any sort of kickback get the complaint number to corporate from customer service. At circuit they used to have it directly on the wall. if this # get's called, it is a BIG deal and the store director, district mngr and such all discuss the problem. that's why i say to speak with the store director before you escalate this to LAWYERS and such. Get his business card, and make sure you get the number for the district manager.

#3 at the end of the day you may or may not have suffered damages. i also spent some time in the road shop, and everyone(who has two brain cells) knows not to drill anywhere remotely f%ing near the trunk floor(where the gas tank is located).

#4 THIS IS A MAJOR HAZARD. IF FUMES ARE ESCAPING, AND SCREWS ARE PUNCTURING THE TANK, THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF A SPARK INGNITING FUMES, AND WITH POWER LINES AND SUCH RUNNING BACK THERE....THIS IS FREAKING SERIOUS!

Good luck. Peace, be safe, get this fixed ASAP. DO NOT FILL UP THE GAS TANK COMPLETELY FULL!
I second this. i was a roadshop installer at Circuit for years before they went under. We once had a moron installer that set ever airbag off in a brand new mercedes while installing a remote start (can you say....use a multimeter)! anyway, dude was fired.....and the owner of the mercedes got all of his repairs taken care of by the Merc dealership.

Go talk to the BB roadshop. Dont mess with any of the install if possible so they can see their own work (as an installer I was able to tell when it was something we did....or if a customer tampered with an install afterwords and added stuff) For example, i gaurantee the screws that BB uses to mount stuff to metal are the same....I once had a guy come in claiming that we did work, but nothing matched up. The screws were different, the wiring was sloppy, and it just looked awful...vs the side i knew that we did, clean precise and looked like it belonged there.

I know they drilled into the tank so i would be weary about driving the car at all (at lease keep the windows open and for Gods sake disconect the power on your stereo)!! just be careful...fuel is nothing to F with!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by ffcbairn

#3 Hire lawyer

I love you man! haha.

One bad thing Is I threw away that fuse holder. And... one tiny tiny thing... The install was from over 2 years ago. I just didn't remove that fuse holder up until last October and I threw it away(yes I was going that long with a smelly gas leak but it was only noticeable when you first got in. Had windows up or was sitting in the back. IT was def noticeable to everyone in my car. And I want damages for social embarrassment that caused Psychological damages. < haha jk

but really...Thanks guys for all the tips. I hope I can do this... Also. Sorry for the late adding of information I just didn't think anyone would help at first so I didn't want to make it long.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:24 AM

Also I forgot to add. Some **** I talked to at best buy threw the whole "check engine light" Evap code that would of happened for 2 years. And that Gas smell could go thru screws anyway? lol No it can't. The smell came right when I removed the screws but never noticed the smell right away until a few hours later when the seats were put back..
Old 04-02-2010, 05:43 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Put a drop of JB Weld over the holes and be done with it. It's a $5 repair.

Realize it's a 12 year old car, the time and effort it's going to take you to try and go after them is a complete waste and may end up costing you more hard earned $$$.

Life will through you curve *****, it's all about how you handle them.

My .02
Old 04-02-2010, 08:09 AM

I'd still say it's worth a try to get it fixed properly. Use the JB Weld as a last resort. I was a Circuit City Roadshop manager for almost 6 years, and every manager at a store like Best Buy knows that damages can occur during an install. They have a specific insurance company set up for this sort of thing. As was said before, go to the store director, tell him what happened, including that you removed the fuse and threw it away recently when you realized what was causing the problem, and let him know what you want in return. If his answer is not acceptable, ask for the corporate customer service number (we called it the "cool line") and escalate it to them. When they hear a complaint, the district manager and store director are told to fix it, and that is a big deal. You will get taken care of. I'm sure of it.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by RyanTaylorClark
I'd still say it's worth a try to get it fixed properly. Use the JB Weld as a last resort. I was a Circuit City Roadshop manager for almost 6 years, and every manager at a store like Best Buy knows that damages can occur during an install. They have a specific insurance company set up for this sort of thing. As was said before, go to the store director, tell him what happened, including that you removed the fuse and threw it away recently when you realized what was causing the problem, and let him know what you want in return. If his answer is not acceptable, ask for the corporate customer service number (we called it the "cool line") and escalate it to them. When they hear a complaint, the district manager and store director are told to fix it, and that is a big deal. You will get taken care of. I'm sure of it.

I got to talk to the Manger on duty and they directed me to 1888 bestbuy. lol
Old 04-02-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by S1cTech
I got to talk to the Manger on duty and they directed me to 1888 bestbuy. lol

keep knocking on their heads,they will never listen to you from the first pass..lol....
Old 04-02-2010, 01:49 PM

I am gonna take pictures and show you guys and maybe someone can tell me how bad the damage is on the tank. At least I will have an idea after that.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not to sound like an @$$, but it was 2 years ago and the part that you had them install was thrown away? Your chances of success are getting smaller and smaller.

Can you prove without reasonable doubt that in the last 2 years that nobody did any work on your car that could have caused that problem?
Old 04-02-2010, 04:15 PM

yeah since the work was altered that changes the game. it becomes harder to pin on them at that point. i agree now your best option is to try to get what you can from the DM @ BB, the amount of time and the work having been altered would make it almost impossible in court.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:19 PM

yet the their is Rust in the holes of the area that they had. Not to mention They probably use the same screws. I heard you can sew ppl up to 7 years or something like that. I mean seriously I know its not a personal thing but what happens if a doctor worked on ur knee 6 years and 11 months ago and all of this sudden you had massive infections of problems from the surgery? What tough luck? MY car could of exploded and I had expensive audio equipment in there the past 2 years and anything could of happened not to mention the gas leaking. How can I really not get anything for it? At the time I trusted Bestbuy to install my stuff how would I go about inspecting it like 5 mins later? What rip all my seats out and check everything? I know I have a case somewhere.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:07 PM

I'm actually an installer at a BB. And honestly going to the installer and then the store manager will usually get the job done. Make sure you have the yellow (at least ours is yellow) install reciet. They don't store install reciets in the computer. It all depends on the attitude of the installer. If you fight an autotech install problem and go up againt Best Buy, you will not win lol
Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 PM

dang, two years ago?? and u threw the part away? man, i believe you, but theres no way in hell you can go up there and prove they did anything. at first i thought u could do something, but now, i agree with njmax, just fix it yourself and move on. they sell fuel tank repair "stuff". by now, the guy who installed it is gone, the manager is gone, the district manager is gone, you dont have a receipt. nothing is the same.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:57 PM

I can get a receipt obv. and the Manager is still there. Just the installers all got fired. Also I used to work at bestbuy during the time. Hence why I let other ppl touch my car. (which I never do unless I know that they no what they are doing like Kevin goods for example who does)

Anyway. All said. I just want them to cover a gas tank and I am betting if I can prove they did it. That they might at least cover the $110 dollars in labor.. just maybe. lol
Old 04-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by whitemef
Not to sound like an @$$, but it was 2 years ago and the part that you had them install was thrown away? Your chances of success are getting smaller and smaller.

Can you prove without reasonable doubt that in the last 2 years that nobody did any work on your car that could have caused that problem?

+1---a couple of details are changing the entire story
Old 04-04-2010, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by max96imaaaa
+1---a couple of details are changing the entire story
??
Old 04-04-2010, 05:08 AM

MY car could of exploded and I had expensive audio equipment in there the past 2 years and anything could of happened not to mention the gas leaking. How can I really not get anything for it? At the time I trusted Bestbuy to install my stuff how would I go about inspecting it like 5 mins later? What rip all my seats out and check everything? I know I have a case somewhere.
The car DIDN'T explode and NOTHING happened to the audio equipment. IMO you deserve nothing beyond a properly repaired car. You're just looking to make a quick buck off of bb. Shame on you.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:46 AM

I can get a receipt obv. and the Manager is still there. Just the installers all got fired. Also I used to work at bestbuy during the time. Hence why I let other ppl touch my car. (which I never do unless I know that they no what they are doing like Kevin goods for example who does)

Anyway. All said. I just want them to cover a gas tank and I am betting if I can prove they did it. That they might at least cover the $110 dollars in labor.. just maybe. lol

I believe that if Best Buy gives you anything it will be out of good faith, not because they are obligated to. Once you removed the fuse holder and saw that it was drilled into the gas-tank, you should have addressed the issue at that point. After 2 years I'm guessing that you already altered other parts of their installation. At this point you can't even ask a 3rd party to review the installation and give you a quote for damages.

So if you are pursuing this further be happy with anything you get even a store credit. Also, legally this would be the type of thing you pursued in small claims court. Lawsuits are not for "woulda, coulda, got hurt" type of situations.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:18 AM

imo i think you should be able to get your car properly repaired without much hassle... just go about it as the ex bestbuy managers said you should...and as long as you are being completely honest as you seem to be now...good luck

Old 04-04-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by brucerap
The car DIDN'T explode and NOTHING happened to the audio equipment. IMO you deserve nothing beyond a properly repaired car. You're just looking to make a quick buck off of bb. Shame on you.
Shame on America I guess. And for the most part I do want just the tank replaced really. I am saying if they don't repair it or do nothing then I will get lawyers involved into it.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:46 PM

Shame on America I guess.
America isn't suing them.

What exactly are your damages?

How long has it been since the discovery?
Old 04-04-2010, 02:34 PM

thought I've heard of some crazy installs, this takes the cake.

"geeze, how will I ever mount this?? I know, just screw it to this giant sealed tank"
Old 04-05-2010, 05:24 AM

I need a new tank. and I want damages back as well.
Shame on America I guess. And for the most part I do want just the tank replaced really. I am saying if they don't repair it or do nothing then I will get lawyers involved into it.
Your first post stated you wanted damages. Point is - there were no damages. Like I said before - imo opinion you're looking to fatten your wallet out of this.

And as steveb mentioned - it's YOU talking about suing them, not America.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:58 AM

just some questions. I assume that you said you put the seats back (and there is no reason why you would run the power wires outside the car) i assume that the holes were made on TOP of the gas tank correct? Now i also have another question, almost every installer knows that the fuse goes NEAR the battery, in the FRONT of the car, why would an installer put a fuse near the back? (unless you are also running a separate battery in the back also, in which case you prob shouldn't of let best buy do that type of install in the first place).

As to your main problem. You seem like a person who understands how things work in life. So i'd just have to say that if BB doesn't take care of this, you do realize that no lawyer will take your case correct? Not unless your now suing bestbuy for psychological damages (from what reason i won't know). Your payout is going to be so minimal that no lawyer will get paid out. The only lawyer that will take the job is if you paid them from your pocket (in which is going to be more than just a tank and install).

Since the damage is most likely from the top, like njmax said, its not a HUGE deal if you put just jb weld or gas tank fixer from autozone. Gas will prob never sit at where the holes are made. btw, i'm not saying don't call the bb #, but just be realistic about your situation.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
just some questions. I assume that you said you put the seats back (and there is no reason why you would run the power wires outside the car) i assume that the holes were made on TOP of the gas tank correct? Now i also have another question, almost every installer knows that the fuse goes NEAR the battery, in the FRONT of the car, why would an installer put a fuse near the back? (unless you are also running a separate battery in the back also, in which case you prob shouldn't of let best buy do that type of install in the first place).
Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou

yes. Right under the armrest the 3 holes were made. Also I have 2 amps. Thats why there was another fuse for the front and the back. I am an installer myself and I do highend stuff mostly. The reason why I had them do it is because I worked there at the time and got a really good discount to uninstall my bose wiring so I had them do it. It just worries me because with my current high end system I have 3 batteries that I put back there RIGHT next to the holes. but the wire is not near it. I am sure it will be fine right now. The fact that sucks Is I have to drop the tank to JB weld it up.

As to your main problem. You seem like a person who understands how things work in life. So i'd just have to say that if BB doesn't take care of this, you do realize that no lawyer will take your case correct? Not unless your now suing bestbuy for psychological damages (from what reason i won't know). Your payout is going to be so minimal that no lawyer will get paid out. The only lawyer that will take the job is if you paid them from your pocket (in which is going to be more than just a tank and install).

yeah unfortunately I knew about this, but I figured there would be a anti-bb lawyer out there that could do something because man. Ppl are suing MickyDs for a cup of hot coffee that didn't say the words "hot coffee" on it. As ridiculous as that sounds. how the hell did that person win? Yet I could of been near death or seriously hurt(not to mention the MPG I lost) if there ever was some sort of spark in the past 2 years. Yet I don't have a case? JUST because it was 2 years ago? How would anyone know? Like I mentioned above. I had them install it and I didn't have a gas smell inside the cabin because the screws were preventing it. Not like I was gonna rip both my seats how to check it for them. Infact I never knew there was a fuse RIGHT under the armrest to begin with.

Since the damage is most likely from the top, like njmax said, its not a HUGE deal if you put just jb weld or gas tank fixer from autozone. Gas will prob never sit at where the holes are made. btw, i'm not saying don't call the bb #, but just be realistic about your situation.

Well I am gonna put in a new tank regardless. If I ever sold the car. I wouldn't want someone to have a JB welded Gas tank. Its just not my style.

Also there is a small chance I have to replace my leather seats because they reak a little of gas. Only a little bit tho. I would like if BB covered new ones for that too.

Last edited by S1cTech; 04-05-2010 at 01:56 PM.