4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

dash cluster trunk light

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:52 PM

dash cluster trunk light

i noticed that my trunk open warning light on my dash doesnt illuminate anymore. so i took my gauge cluster out, removed all of the socket bulbs from where i believe the trunk open light is/was. i held it up to the light when i removed the bulb from the socket, to see what was what. i.e. door open, service engine, abs, seat belt, etc. and to my surprise, there was no trunk open light section. i did notice though the low washer fluid light which is pretty cool.

now maybe i just forgotten where the bulb is, but i removed every bulb and its either missing, or is it attached to the door open light...because if so, it doesn't illuminate...but the light in the trunk does turn on when its open, and my aftermarket alarm also goes off when the trunk opens. (i thought maybe the trunk trigger wire was shorted somewhere, and not sending the signal that my trunk was open to the dash)

i guess im asking...where is this light?! can someone perhaps take a pic of their dash w the light on because i cant remember where it was for the life of me.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:06 PM

Maybe things are different for the 1998 instrument cluster, but I can definitely tell you the older 95-97 clusters definitely don't have a trunk open warning light.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:10 PM

oh. well maybe i was seeing things then, because i could have sworn i used to see it when my trunk was open. i thought all cars had that light.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:11 PM

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1998/EL.pdf

Check out the meters and gauges section, the 98 doesn't have it either. I think only 5th gen's and up had the trunk light? My 2001 Anniversary Edition cluster has the trunk light, but I just left it disconnected because there is no corresponding wire in the 4th gen harness.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:16 PM

hmm. thanks a lot...im a member of nicoclub but not in any way an active member lol. i just keep forgetting about that forum.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:18 PM

that sucks. my mind is playing tricks on me.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:20 PM

Yah my 99 doesn't have a trunk light either...
Old 03-15-2010, 04:24 PM

damn thats some ol' bs. i thought every car mfg'r had a trunk open light on the dash. at least integrated in the door ajar light. isnt that a safety issue?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by goomzthegeneral
damn thats some ol' bs. i thought every car mfg'r had a trunk open light on the dash. at least integrated in the door ajar light. isnt that a safety issue?
Nah...best trunk open light ever is the rear view mirror.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:43 PM

yo i was drivin up the street from my house and i hear this on and off squeaking noise. my girl goes...i think ur trunks open. i look in the mirror and it doesnt look open cuz i hit the damn button w something in my pocket and i didnt go fast enough for it to really open...i get out and what do u know. trunk was popped.

NISSAN: the inconvenience you have caused me is catastrophic. you should credit me, and all maxima owners the cost of a dash cluster remanufacture w the trunk light and re wire in the form of cash or paypal. i (for one) shall invest this credit into the 19" wheels i have been itching for. hahaha

Last edited by Goomz; 03-15-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Donating i30 Owner

Originally Posted by goomzthegeneral
yo i was drivin up the street from my house and i hear this on and off squeaking noise. my girl goes...i think ur trunks open. i look in the mirror and it doesnt look open cuz i hit the damn button w something in my pocket and i didnt go fast enough for it to really open...i get out and what do u know. trunk was popped.

NISSAN: the inconvenience you have caused me is catastrophic. you should credit me, and all maxima owners the cost of a dash cluster remanufacture w the trunk light and re wire in the form of cash or paypal. i (for one) shall invest this credit into the 19" wheels i have been itching for. hahaha
FOR FUTURE REF.

there is a TSB by Nissan to fix this so your trunk only opens when your car is stopped (i think it taps the park/neutral switch ) or soemthing along those line.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by HomerMAC
FOR FUTURE REF.

there is a TSB by Nissan to fix this so your trunk only opens when your car is stopped (i think it taps the park/neutral switch ) or soemthing along those line.
Oh really?? Does this apply to 95 Feds that don't have the trunk release on the door?? Mine is on the floor.