4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

backend is really twitchy after HUB install...help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Project Ruby......

backend is really twitchy after HUB install...help

My rear hub bearings were TOAST. I mean gone. Car had very loud hum noise. I replaced the hubs with new ones. Took it for a spin and I immediately noticed something wasn't right. Backend felt "loose". Very disconnected from the front.

I get back and smell brakes from the right rear. I rechecked everything noticed that the right rear hub had a little bit of play. I retorqued it down and went for another spin.

Now its even worse. At 50MPH the back end is dancing from side to side. I had to back down to 40 just to be able to make it back to the house. When I got back I could smell the brake again a little bit not nearly as bad as the first time, but it's still there.

So my question is. Is there something wrong with my hub install? Neither wheel moves at all, no play. I had a friend stomp on the brake pedal the piston in the right rear moves. Could it still be seized though? And would that cause the rear end to move all over the place? It feels like something is really loose and may fall off, or the backend is going to come around at any moment.

Search has shown some people have had seized calipers but nobody mentions their rear end dancing from side to side. And any little turn with the steering kicks them over to the other lane real fast.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:10 AM

I have this same problem now myself going side to side. I did not have to change my hubs but I changed my entire suspension the past summer with all new struts, bushings, and boots for front and back. Now halfway through the year, the back is swinging when I go over bumps. Did the bounce test and it is bouncing back so the back struts are toast after 6 months. Now I am leaning more to change the lateral link and the rear sway bar link. Has anyone changed these parts? What were the results?