4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Timing chain/tensioner rattle? With video

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:15 PM

Timing chain/tensioner rattle? With video

I'm thinking timing chain or tensioner, but judging by the other videos which have been posted, this sounds different

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykzzu0LgsIs

and input is greatly appreciated

99 maxima btw
Old 02-22-2010, 04:56 PM

How many miles you got on it?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:10 PM

Old 02-22-2010, 09:55 PM

i got something simular. i really dont pay attention, but someone said it can be my power steering pump
Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by whiteSE
i got something simular. i really dont pay attention, but someone said it can be my power steering pump
His wheel would be turning.....
It could be a belt, but its not whishing like one. Timer or something... check that the knock sensor area is all bolted in, or itll trigger it off.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Interesting rattle. The 99's aren't really prone to TC rattles.
Remove all the drive belts and start the engine, if the nosie is still there your next step
would be to remove the TC cover and inspect the tensioner.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:30 PM

hmm thats a weird one, it doesnt sound like the chain or pulleys.
It sounds like something not bolted down on the engine, exhaust heat shield perhaps ?? have any exhaust work done lately or not at all ?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like mine did... get your checkbook ready!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:29 PM

please, i have 200,000 plus on my max and its made noise since i got it with 129,000 on it. your engine quieted down after it warmed up, put some bg oil treatment in with your next oil change, dealer only item. helps quiet down the rattle a bit and saves a bundle in your pocket. your rattles def different than my 95, but thats probably why.

Last edited by max ride 41; 02-24-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
please, i have 200,000 plus on my max and its made noise since i got it with 129,000 on it. your engine quieted down after it warmed up, put some bg oil treatment in with your next oil change, dealer only item. helps quiet down the rattle a bit and saves a bundle in your pocket. your rattles def different than my 95, but thats probably why.

Is that the REALLY thick oil treatment stuff thats supposed to help on cold starts ??
Old 02-24-2010, 04:40 PM

I appreciate all of the input very much

I'll yank the serpentine off and see what happens...

It just sounds so odd, nothing like what I expect a timing chain to sound like. I've had it on a lift etc and haven't seen anything loose...
Old 04-22-2010, 05:17 PM

About a month ago I bought a 95 Maxima. I love the car, mileage is about right for the year. There is a ticking comming from the engine bay when I idle it, about three ticks a second and it get's faster when i press the gas. I did an oil change, did an engine flush, put synthetic oil in, and I'm using an additive to clean the fuel system. Still ticking though, any ideas? Also the radiator is full of sludge or something near the bottom passenger side, it's all gummed up and black.. does that mean the engine blew and was replaced? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I plan to keep this car for a while. Power is wonderful and fuel economy is awesome.. just want to get rid of that ticking.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by hynes66
About a month ago I bought a 95 Maxima. I love the car, mileage is about right for the year. There is a ticking comming from the engine bay when I idle it, about three ticks a second and it get's faster when i press the gas. I did an oil change, did an engine flush, put synthetic oil in, and I'm using an additive to clean the fuel system. Still ticking though, any ideas? Also the radiator is full of sludge or something near the bottom passenger side, it's all gummed up and black.. does that mean the engine blew and was replaced? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I plan to keep this car for a while. Power is wonderful and fuel economy is awesome.. just want to get rid of that ticking.
welcome to 4th gen maxima forums....Here , hijacking threads is something not tolerable at all...try searching for your problem using the search function,start from there....
best wishes
Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 AM

its common dude, my 95 has always made noise, now it even happens in warm weather. we have have timing chain guides and tensioners that go bad and cause the belt to click because it does;nt line up straight anymore. only way to fix is to replace main tensioner and guide, and might as well do water pump while your in there.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:48 AM

i heard tc and tensioners is a very expensive job here in NY.... Better to just get a used engine with less miles on it.... Thats my objective right now.... Saves me less money and less stress....
Old 04-24-2010, 09:42 AM

Ive got 265K Timing chain noise is not a big deal, just let her warm up in the morning. also; compression can be a thing to check for that as well, as the tensioner is activated by oil pressure.

Also!

to the hijacker, its your injectors. and no their not broken. they are fine.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:30 PM

Really the injectors? Well whatever it is it's damn loud. I just realized it's burning some oil too, crap n I drive like a grandma so that's not good. What about the oil gunk built up on the bottom passenger side of the radiator.. any idea what could cause that?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:21 PM

mine had a noise like that but then it just went away. but now i have a rattle that seems to come fromt the tension pulley when i step on the gas ....
Old 04-30-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by cantgofast
I'm thinking timing chain or tensioner, but judging by the other videos which have been posted, this sounds different

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykzzu0LgsIs

and input is greatly appreciated

99 maxima btw
Sounds more like somethin isnt bolted down tight enough.

Could be the chain too. But honestly i wdnt worry about it.

I had a 93 maxi with a bad tensioner that eventually caused the chain to pop. Trust me man, that chain will be makin a LOT more noise before its ready to fail. It took my 93 2 yrs for that chain to fail and in the end my engine sounded like a helicopter from all the chain rattle.

Plus engines are so cheap. Its more cost effective to replace the engine than try to replace chain, fix bent valves, etc. Unless u can do the work urself.

Last edited by cashoit; 04-30-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by hynes66
Really the injectors? Well whatever it is it's damn loud. I just realized it's burning some oil too, crap n I drive like a grandma so that's not good. What about the oil gunk built up on the bottom passenger side of the radiator.. any idea what could cause that?

Yeah our cars have a lil valve tick. But if the hood is down it shdnt be loud. Audible but not loud.

U may have a tensioner on its way out. 300-500 bucks for mechanic to replace along with water pump. Depends on who u take the car to.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:47 PM

[quote=FallenOne;7529465]Ive got 265K Timing chain noise is not a big deal, just let her warm up in the morning. also; compression can be a thing to check for that as well, as the tensioner is activated by oil pressure.
quote]

This has caught my attention and interested in you explaining more as to how compression is related to the timing chain noise. Are you saying we should do a compression test before replacing the tensioner? If the compression is slightly off, is it guaranteed to still have the cold start rattle?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:37 AM

I had exactly the same noise on my '98 GLE earlier this spring. Took it to the local Nissan shop and they quoted me $1800 for timing chain and tensioner. Luckily, I did not take them up on their offer. I took it to a local independent shop, and he found that it was the alternator! Initially, he also suspected the timing chain, but it wasnt until he listened to the timing chain case with a stethecope that he decided that the noise was not coming from inside the case. A little more digging revealed the alternator. Although I dont think that this independent repair shop did me any favors on the price for the alternator replacement, it sure beat the cost of the timing chain repair - and it actually fixed the problem. I can only imagine the furr fly that would have resulted had I spent the $1800 and kept the problem.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=Trini Boom;7540030]
Originally Posted by FallenOne
Ive got 265K Timing chain noise is not a big deal, just let her warm up in the morning. also; compression can be a thing to check for that as well, as the tensioner is activated by oil pressure.
quote]

This has caught my attention and interested in you explaining more as to how compression is related to the timing chain noise. Are you saying we should do a compression test before replacing the tensioner? If the compression is slightly off, is it guaranteed to still have the cold start rattle?
First off, The chains and guides on these engines are a PITA to replace.. Ive never done one; im not that adventurous and if i did i would just go to the junkyard and attempt it on one of those POS's before i tried it on something
that mattered..

But anyways, the Timing chain tensioner is actuated in part due to the build up in oil pressure. Does your car burn oil? is it noticeable slower than a 4th gen should be? does your oil pressure light stay on for more than just a split second on start up? if you answered yes to any of these check compression.

Otherwise turn up the radio and forget the timing chain tensioner noise. No offense to anyone but the chances of your engine going south due to tensioner issues is substantially less than that of the engine blowing or getting the car wrecked.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:57 PM

same thing wit mine

i have a 99 se and ever since i bought my baby its been dion the same thing its identicle i just thought nothin of it i have 202k on my car and im out performing cars 5 years newer i wouldnt worry about it dude im not exactally "nice" to my car and its been loyal to me.oh and by the way if anybody knows for sure what it is im interested to know as well.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 AM

First off, The chains and guides on these engines are a PITA to replace..
+1 times 10.

U dont wanna get into changing guides and tensioners. Especially if the engine has high mileage. Jus replace engine IMO

But anyways, the Timing chain tensioner is actuated in part due to the build up in oil pressure.
+1 on this too.

On initial startup, u may hear a lil tensioner noise for maybe a 1/4 turn of the crankshaft or a split second in real time, but once oil pressure builds the tensioner noise/ slight rattle shd go away.

Otherwise turn up the radio and forget the timing chain tensioner noise. No offense to anyone but the chances of your engine going south due to tensioner issues is substantially less than that of the engine blowing or getting the car wrecked.
See my above post. I had tensioner noise for yrs...and that was on a third gen. Im almost certain the tensioner noise and the fact the car was 14 yrs old at the time i bought it was the reason why the person before me got rid of it. There is no tellin how long tensioner was going bad before i bought the car.

Nissan designed these engines to never have to be opened up, hence the reason why they use a timing chain and not a belt. If u maintain regular oil changes, u shd never have to change the chain or tensioners, unless there is a problem. Changing the tensioner / or water pump isnt that bad so its do-able. But if there is a problem w/ timing or the chain, its jus cheaper to swap in a new engine.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:53 PM

How do you know if the timing chain is going bad? Is it the noise or does the engines timing change?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:01 AM

It sounds like you have a bent valve.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:35 PM

that probably doesn't help him..

Its A lot of Noise, Also Thank you for Searching!

Put your head by the timing chain cover. If the noise stays constant even after becoming fully warmed up it could be going bad. But for the record.. My Timing Chain Tensioner has been going bad for something like 200K miles. Still Fine.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Do they 95 Max and the 98 have the same type tensioner?