4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can't go above 2000RPM......

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Still Learning

Can't go above 2000RPM......

I had a crack on my radiator about a week ago. The coolant got splashed everywhere by the cooling fan in the bay. So I took it to a car wash place this morning (coin-op kind of thing). I waited a bit for the engine to cool down but maybe not long enough, since I still saw steam come out when I spread water on the bay area.

Now, the car starts fine, drives fine as long as the RPM is below 2000. When it hits 2000, it's almost like got cut off for a sec and when RPM gets below ~1700, it's good again. The engine doesn't go off during this process. Idle feels quick rough too.

I didn't cover anything since I had not encountered any problem when I did this before. Any ideas? Maybe I should've.

Thanks.

Last edited by t65k3; 01-30-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:20 PM

some water may have hit your MAF...open,inspect and clean with MAF cleaner...if doesn't work,look for another MAF
Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 PM

Its your MAF, clean it; if problem persists, get a new one.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:44 PM

for MAF.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:44 PM

yeah i had a similar problem and it was the MAF
Old 01-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Still Learning

There was some coolant residue on the intake and I could not help myself spread some water over that. I think water might have gone into it. Is there kind of a drain hole I could make sure there's no water staying at the bottom and anywhere else? not to mess up the MAF after I clean it?

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:43 PM

dont worry about it, if the engines been run im sure its fine by now; just get the MAF cleaned and reset the ECU. All of the coolant/water is harmless, theres a huge debate about hydro locking an engine and what not; but the truth of the matter is that a cylinder that gets red hot isnt going to be damaged by a small mist of water; its the gallons of water that get sucked up when you end up driving through a huge pool of water.

if you want to debate me than why not just research water injection for engines.. especially diesel; which gets significant gains from water injection..
Old 01-31-2010, 06:37 AM
Still Learning

Originally Posted by FallenOne
dont worry about it, if the engines been run im sure its fine by now; just get the MAF cleaned and reset the ECU. All of the coolant/water is harmless, theres a huge debate about hydro locking an engine and what not; but the truth of the matter is that a cylinder that gets red hot isnt going to be damaged by a small mist of water; its the gallons of water that get sucked up when you end up driving through a huge pool of water.

if you want to debate me than why not just research water injection for engines.. especially diesel; which gets significant gains from water injection..
I am not gonna debate you. I think that's the best answer I wanna hear~

Going to work on it right now. Will update you all. Man, it's cold outside today......