4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fixed and Oil leak, now Crank-No Start. At my Wits end!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:51 PM

Fixed and Oil leak, now Crank-No Start. At my Wits end!

I own a '95 Max with 229,xxx Miles.

Yesterday(Jan. 17 '10), I proceeded to fix an oil leak(after disconnection the ground on the batt.) I had on my upper oil pan. I went through the procedure as per the Nissan FSM pages EM10-EM16.(Link to download the EM section of the FSM, must register(Free) http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl....html?catid=87).

After sealing everything up, with new sealant, seals and adding AMSOil Synthetic oil and the AMSOil filter I went to start the car and it cranked, but no fire. I believe I have fuel, and know I have air, my main suspect here is ignition(Coils, plugs, harness, connectors, and so on).

Obviously, it sounds as though I either:

*1: Did not connect one or both the crank sensors back up.
*2: Somehow cut, pinched, or tore a wire leading to one of the crank sensors(POS or REF)
*3: Disturbed a nearby harness or connector leading to this malfunction.

I have checked all the above, to no avail. I have had a no-start problem before, and tracked it to a connector having to do with the security system. This connector was corroded inside preventing a good, solid connection and inhibited the car from starting. I cleaned the connector and the vehicle started right up. So, I checked that connector next, it was corroded again, I cleaned it, and still crank-no-start.

The following is what I have checked so far:

*Crank sensor located on trans, Crank POS(Related trouble code: P0335) GOOD
*Crank sensor located on front of engine beneath crank shaft pulley, Crank REF(Related trouble code: P1335) GOOD
*Cam sensor located on timing chain cover, Cam POS(Related trouble code P0340 GOOD
*O2 Sensor(Visual check of sensor, harness & connector. Recently Replaced) Right Bank(Related trouble code P0130) GOOD
*O2 Sensor(Visual check of sensor, harness & connector. Recently replaced), Left Bank(Related trouble code P0150) GOOD
*The harness and connector dealing with the anti-theft system. Located underneath MAF. GOOD
*Tested all coils and spark plugs to check for spark. Coils and Plugs are BOTH GOOD, however, when looking at the engine from the front of the vehicle, the front left coil(cant remeber the cyl. #) seems to spark randomly. This leads me to a harness or connector problem, cannot find one. Maybe ECU issue?
*Tested all fuel injectors, all OHM out at 10-14 ohms. GOOD
*Checked the ECTS harness and connector. GOOD Have not checked acutal sensor yet, but will shortly.
*MAF seems GOOD Best way to test the MAF?
*All grounds are GOOD
*Starter tested GOOD
*1 Week old battery GOOD
*Alternator replaced 1 month ago GOOD
*Ignition switch, Unknown, will check shortly.
*P/N switch GOOD

So, there you have it. That is everything(I believe) I have checked, tested, and tested again. I cant for the life of me figure this one out guys. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here are some threads I found somewhat helpful through the search:

- http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ont-start.html
- http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...tart-help.html
- http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...low-start.html
- http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-no-start.html
Old 01-17-2010, 06:58 PM
mod or sell?

how fast/strong is the crank?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:53 PM

The MAF wouldt be the culprit here, but if it were you could simply unplug it and try cranking it to find out....

Im gonna go ahead and assume you have checked all your fuses and what not, and you have all your electrical systems in a good working state?

Also the 95 didnt have a immobilizer system so thats not going to be the culprit..

Also, See Sig for links to FSM's.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:40 AM

internetautomar: The crank is strog and as fast as normal. One cylinder will fire every so often but it sounds like the thing is out of time or somthing. It's really weird.

Fallenone: I have checked all the fuses, and all elecetrical systems are in good working order.

I did think it would be the MAF either but I just figured I would check everything.

Thanks for the info about the Immobilizer.

Also, I did take the ETCS out and tested it, I followed the FSM procedure and it. Tested perfectly good. So that's not it. I also lifted the front fuel rail to see if one of the injectors was leaking. Causing a flood of sorts. The front three were not leaking. I did not check the rear three but I'm going to assume that they arenot either.

When I pulled the spark plugs out they were wet with fuel. So that leads me to believe that I for sure have fuel in the cylinders.

I will check fuses and relays again to see if I missed something. Anymore help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:38 AM

man i had the same problem with my car after changing the starter. i disconnected the battery changed it and went to start but all it would do is crank and crank and crank. i went threw all that of checking sensors and fuses and all the above even checked flywheel to make sure it was not locked up. ended up that i cracked the negative battery terminal cracked and was firing into the battery. Sure you checked but sometimes its the small simple stuff. But that is just my experience dont know if it will help you or not but worth a try.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by 4thGENMaxima
man i had the same problem with my car after changing the starter. i disconnected the battery changed it and went to start but all it would do is crank and crank and crank. i went threw all that of checking sensors and fuses and all the above even checked flywheel to make sure it was not locked up. ended up that i cracked the negative battery terminal cracked and was firing into the battery. Sure you checked but sometimes its the small simple stuff. But that is just my experience dont know if it will help you or not but worth a try.
Thanks for the input, but I dont think I will be as lucky. Its a brand new battery(literally a week old) and the terminals look wonderful.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by SrgScott
Thanks for the input, but I dont think I will be as lucky. Its a brand new battery(literally a week old) and the terminals look wonderful.
Well since the cylinders had fuel and it's cranking, it seems that the problem must be electrical. Did you notice any signs of trouble at all before changing the pan gasket? The only sensors you remove when doing the upper pan are both O2's and both crank sensors, but you said you already checked those.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:28 AM

did u check the sub-harnesses for both crankshaft sensors?

This one is a toughie....When u replaced both CKPS, did u scratch or damage either one of them. I have read that if u scratch either one...then it wont sense the crankshaft positions. Are either one fouled? Jus use a rag and wipe em off.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:30 PM

your probably going to need new plugs now though =[

Im hoping its not going to end up being an ECU.... although you can get some great deals here on the org..
Old 01-18-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by dan1el
Well since the cylinders had fuel and it's cranking, it seems that the problem must be electrical. Did you notice any signs of trouble at all before changing the pan gasket? The only sensors you remove when doing the upper pan are both O2's and both crank sensors, but you said you already checked those.
I believe it to be electrical as well, the question here is, where the hell the problem is its so frustrating to me its funny.

After fixing my previous starting problem i have not noticed any issues with starting at all, until now. I will check the sensors again.

Originally Posted by cashoit
did u check the sub-harnesses for both crankshaft sensors?

This one is a toughie....When u replaced both CKPS, did u scratch or damage either one of them. I have read that if u scratch either one...then it wont sense the crankshaft positions. Are either one fouled? Jus use a rag and wipe em off.
I did check the sub-harnesses, but will check again just for good measure.
Both crank sensors appear to be in mint condition, no scratches, cuts, dents or the like.

As i previously stated, both crank sensors, and the cam sensor are all quite new(i would say maybe a year old at most). But hell, stranger things have happened

Originally Posted by FallenOne

your probably going to need new plugs now though =[

Im hoping its not going to end up being an ECU.... although you can get some great deals here on the org..
Yeah, but new plugs dont really bother me
I was also thinking that perhaps something with the ECU, I know i can find a known good ECU here on the .org for a good price....but still.

Thanks for all the responeses, Ill check everything again just in case i missed something. Any other ideas would be awesome!

Thanks guys.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 PM

Make sure the ECU is getting power by ECCS relay see TROUBLE DIAGNOSIS FOR POWER SUPPLY in FSM. Also make sure start signal from ignition switch is being sent to the ECU. Are you getting no spark or what seems like unstable spark? Any CEL codes?

Last edited by Nopike; 01-18-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
Make sure the ECU is getting power by ECCS relay see TROUBLE DIAGNOSIS FOR POWER SUPPLY in FSM. Also make sure start signal from ignition switch is being sent to the ECU. Are you getting no spark or what seems like unstable spark? Any CEL codes?

Thanks! I will look into that trouble diagnosis after work.

I am getting spark. But it seems like an unstable spark.

No codes whatsoever. I do sometimes get a random comm malfunction code. Bu I usually just reset it. That code has never given me any trouble, and was NOT on when I went to fixthe leak. And has still NOT shown up on my scanner.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Find Crazy97se's starting problem thread.

Classic symptoms are:
No start most of the time, but will occasionally start & run PERFECT.
Crank crank crank pop crank pop crank crank. (Basically asides from an intermittent pop/stutter/pause it cranks over fast & normal)
No codes
ALL IMPORTANT/EC RELATED FUSES HAVE BEEN CHECKED, underhood as well as dash.
Fuel is present
Spark can appear to be more sporadic than it should be, sometimes not discernable.

Fix/whats going on:
Poor grounding between the trans bellhousing & engine causes interference to the CPS during cranking.
Add grounding wires everywhere you can between engine/trans/starter, or pull trans & clean up bellhousing.

Sure sounds like bellhousing grounding issue to me.

Random I just looked all over for your # about the trans in my sig if you're still looking shoot me a PM

Last edited by KRRZ350; 01-18-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:47 PM

Thanks KRRZ350. I will check all my grounds again and place some new ones in there. When I took it to the dealer the last time I had this issue they told me the same thing. I tried adding grounds and didn't help anything. But I'll try again.

Thanks for remebering about me for the trans! I'll let you know soon.

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Find Crazy97se's starting problem thread

Classic symptoms are:
No start most of the time, but will occasionally start & run PERFECT.
Crank crank crank pop crank pop crank crank. (Basically asides from an intermittent pop/stutter/pause it cranks over fast & normal)
No codes
ALL IMPORTANT/EC RELATED FUSES HAVE BEEN CHECKED, underhood as well as dash.
Fuel is present
Spark can appear to be more sporadic than it should be, sometimes not discernable.

Fix/whats going on:
Poor grounding between the trans bellhousing & engine causes interference to the CPS during cranking.

Add grounding wires everywhere you can between engine/trans/starter, or pull trans & clean up bellhousing.

Sure sounds like bellhousing grounding issue to me.

Random I just looked all over for your # about the trans in my sig if you're still looking shoot me a PM
Old 01-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

did u check 2 make sure your grounds are clean and on also make sure that they have a clean surface area that it mounts 2, and about the plugs depending on how old they are if not too old they should clean up once u get it started, u might have 2 hold the gas peddle 2 the floor for a min while cranking this will shut off your fuel supple n should start it up.

Last edited by aseferi; 01-18-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by aseferi
did u check 2 make sure your grounds are clean and on also make sure that they have a clean surface area that it mounts 2, and about the plugs depending on how old they are if not too old they should clean up once u get it started, u might have 2 hold the gas peddle 2 the floor for a min while cranking this will shut off your fuel supple n should start it up.
Did check my grounds, but I will be checking everything again tomorrow before work. Thanks for the input
Old 01-19-2010, 12:12 PM

やった!
I did it!

KRRZ350, Thanks a ton! I placed a ground from the battery to a trans bolt closest to the crank sensor and then a ground from the battery to the trans mount and Maximus started right up like there was never anything wrong.

Anyone who has a starting problem they cant figure out should definatly try this. Worked for me!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:01 PM

ETCS could be the problem