4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Purchased a short Ram intake with no hole for the air temp sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:54 AM

Purchased a short Ram intake with no hole for the air temp sensor??

So i recently purchased a short ram intake for the maxi. I wasnt even sure i was going to install cuz i like the stock setup but miss the ROAR of the short ram.

The item arrived 2 days ago and upon inspection i noticed that the short ram intake pipe was missing the hole for the intake air temperature sensor. I looked the whole fawking thing over and no hole. SO IM PISSED and i email the seller on ebay. THe dumba&& tries to tell me that there in NO intake air temperature sensor on the maxima. My jaw almost hit the floor . SO now im really pissed. I find a couple of pics online and tell him to look at them as proof of the sensor and email him back.

I know bottomline i can drill the hole myself but its the principle of the whole thing...u dont tell bs people
Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 AM

in the same boat buddy !
Old 01-12-2010, 07:44 AM

You can either leave it out or drill your own hole.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:32 AM
mod or sell?

ebay FTL
Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 AM

Get your money back or the correct intake. Send him a email with the FSM picture. Tell us the person's ebay name so we never buy from them. And make sure you let them know that too.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 AM

lol...nothing will happen without it...your car will start and run perfectly fine...just place it close to the filter...i had mine just hanging there with no problems
Old 01-12-2010, 03:56 PM

I just routed it into the inside no biggie just a lil agravating. Its only temporary anyways. Plus side it shipped quick , lol .
Old 01-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Hella internets

Just route the wire and whole sensor (before MAF) under the coupler so the sensor is seated somewhat snug and the wire is sandwitched between the coupler and intake...thats what i did...its pretty small i never noticed a difference lol...but u do want it to get somewhat accurate ambient air temperatures...Some people HAVE thrown a code for just leaving it dangling in the engine compartment...
Old 01-12-2010, 04:38 PM

Get a step up bit drill a new hole.. pop the gromment in .or just put the maf adapter with filter on and take the box out.. I left my air scoop on with the ATS plugged in..thats what I have it sounds mean.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:38 AM

the Seller is named Carpartoutlet and its a BOMZ short ram intake.

I could leave it hanging there or put inline with the rest of the intake which would be the preferred method.

O i know i can install it somehow...for me, its the fact the fawking guy gonna try to tell me there is no intake air temp sensor at all. He has no idea what he is talkin about and tryin to make me look like im stoopid or somethin. I didnt think to ask the guy about the hole cuz the last short ram kit i purchased had the hole and grommet.

I kno he is lyin so that he wont have to refund my money. But its all good cuz it only cost me 20 bucks anyway and i prolly jus hook up the aftermarket filter and call it a day. Jus pissed me off he tried to say that to me. freakin idiots lol
Old 01-13-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by cjlgarage
Get a step up bit drill a new hole.. pop the gromment in .or just put the maf adapter with filter on and take the box out.. I left my air scoop on with the ATS plugged in..thats what I have it sounds mean.
how is the throttle response. I think ima try that setup
Old 01-13-2010, 08:19 AM

It's just a Intake Air Temp sensor guys chillout lol, zip tie it somewhere near the filter and call it a day.

Here's a bad picture of my $20 bomz intake.

To the OP, you paid $20 for an air intake, stop complaining, you get what you pay for, and you got allot for $20, I know I did. To make the SRI perfect, ghetto rig a heat shield and buy an Apexi filter, that's what I'm doin...

Last edited by aackshun; 01-13-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit

O i know i can install it somehow...for me, its the fact the fawking guy gonna try to tell me there is no intake air temp sensor at all. He has no idea what he is talkin about and tryin to make me look like im stoopid or somethin. I didnt think to ask the guy about the hole cuz the last short ram kit i purchased had the hole and grommet.

Jus pissed me off he tried to say that to me. freakin idiots lol

I kno Aack man. Im not gonna trip about it cuz it not like its a huge deal ...but the response emails the seller had sent to me jus pissed me off. I even sent him a pic of the sensor and he STILL try to tell me i dont know what im talking bout. Pissed me off man lol
Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 AM

Besides i got bigger problems...might have to replace the water pump and tensioner sigh
Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Hella internets

Besides i got bigger problems...might have to replace the water pump and tensioner sigh
been there and DONE that!

Fun times! I hate those stupid viewing holes...lol
Old 01-13-2010, 04:40 PM

Carpartsoutlet is usually really good..... just to make sure, you bought the right one for your car? But, anyways, try to return it. If not, zipties work wonders. This is why I spent a little more and got the Stillen...... thats my $0.02.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:56 PM

how is the throttle response. I think ima try that setup
Its great i was shocked..iv got a mushroom filter it sounds why diffrent then my 00 with a dual intake...much more grawling sound..
Old 01-13-2010, 07:06 PM

zip tie it to the battery, alot of people do incuding me, works perfectly fine
Old 01-13-2010, 08:26 PM

I fixed the problem by cutting a small hole in the coupler with some scissors and sticking the sensor in there.

Perfect fit and much easier than drilling a hole in the intake itself.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by cartman854
Carpartsoutlet is usually really good..... just to make sure, you bought the right one for your car? But, anyways, try to return it. If not, zipties work wonders. This is why I spent a little more and got the Stillen...... thats my $0.02.

I bought the right one cuz everything else is correct.

I prolly jus ziptie somewhere
Old 01-14-2010, 04:03 PM

You could ziptie it to a bolt underneath the filter.( put a bolt back in and not tighten it all the way, the hole under the filter where the old box was bolted too) then it might get an accurateish reading from the fresh air coming in from below.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:17 PM

I left the snorkel in mine and have the filter sitting in the bottom half of the stock air box.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
I left the snorkel in mine and have the filter sitting in the bottom half of the stock air box.
I removed the lower half, but left the "snorkel" thing.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Still kickin'

My roommates car didn't have one either. We put a breather filter on the front valve cover. Then turned the grommet around on the IAT sensor and it fit like a glove in the hole (there's a little slot on the grommet that fit the opening perfectly).

Last edited by Mad-MAX_SE; 01-14-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Added a picture
Old 01-15-2010, 04:57 AM

Problem Resolved

Good News everyone...

THe seller is goin to drill the hole and send me out a replacement. Thanks for all the ideas. I especially liked the breather idea
Old 01-16-2010, 02:32 PM

i also used a breather but some how it came off while driving -_-, so i used the stock air box
Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 AM

I like the breasther idea as well. So the hose to valve cover doesnt reaslly need to be connected to intake? if not im in with breather. looks neat as well lol.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:39 AM

The idiot seller

SO i recieved the new intake pipe from the seller and the guy is an idiot. He drilled the hole and inserted the grommet like i asked. But he drilled the hole right ontop one of the nozzle for the IACV. From what i see, i would STILL have to modify the senosor in some fashion to make it fit. IM SO DONE with this guy. The stupidity is really making my head hurt .

Either way, I already installed the original kit he sent me. And it works fine. I jus left the Intake air Temp sEnsor, IATS, attched to the stock intake funnel and its cool.

The nozzles on the intake pipe he supplied were too short and wouldnt reach the the stock air hoses and the tubing he provided was too big, , so i had to cut and install some spare tubing and tape it up to eliminate leaks. I test drove 60 miles into boston and the intake was nice and cold so the tape is fine. Ima replace with tubing from Home depot, and maybe spray paint to make it look cool.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 PM

Does anybody know how to install a cone filter and MAS adapter to a 95 Maxima? I'd appreciate pics and detailed instructions pls. I alreeady looked @ the "how to thread" and i'm still having a difficult time. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 02-24-2010, 01:23 AM

It literally bolts right on. MAF adapter goes into cone filter, MAF adapter screws onto the MAF.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by jcruzer4thGen
Does anybody know how to install a cone filter and MAS adapter to a 95 Maxima? I'd appreciate pics and detailed instructions pls. I alreeady looked @ the "how to thread" and i'm still having a difficult time. Thanks in advance guys!

If u have read the "how-to" then thats a really good start.

U have to take off the stock air filter box. There are four bolts on the side for the MAF. Then inside the box there are 3 10mm bolts to remove. Then jus pull it out and install ur MAF adapter and cone.

***** You will need to buy 4 nuts for the MAF bolts***
Old 03-04-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mad-MAX_SE
My roommates car didn't have one either. We put a breather filter on the front valve cover. Then turned the grommet around on the IAT sensor and it fit like a glove in the hole (there's a little slot on the grommet that fit the opening perfectly).

What intake is that?

I'm tryin to purchase one that will be pretty much plug n' play.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by illmortal
What intake is that?

They all pretty much plug and play. I have purchased two differnet Aftermarked intakes. The first was a Cold air intake for 30 bucks plus shipping. This setup was very official and there wasnt any installation issues. The second was the reason for the thread. THe freakin seller was an idiot and i had to do a lil modification to get the intake installed. Cost 20 bucks.

My advice get the CAI and save the headaches FTW
Old 03-04-2010, 10:39 AM

What intake is that?

Why do you want an intake to start off with?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

for an additional 10 bucks, you could have just got the cold air intake & then went to auto zone & got a K&N cone filter like i did

the kit cost me 30 bux free shipping on ebay, WITH temp sensor input.. lol

all i had to do was drill a 3" hole into the wheel well, & run the intake down there & attach filter.. i love the suction sound i get when u give it some gas <3

heres a pic, not the best but w/e it works.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Why do you want an intake to start off with?
Honestly? Just for the sound.. Keepin' my I30 til the end of this year then going for an I35 or Sports coupe G35. I currently have just an Apexi filter attached, sounds alright with all the other stock intake parts but I've heard better.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:31 PM

Honestly? Just for the sound.. Keepin' my I30 til the end of this year then going for an I35 or Sports coupe G35. I currently have just an Apexi filter attached, sounds alright with all the other stock intake parts but I've heard better.
The cone is the only thing that really makes a difference with sound, try getting a pop charger, those have a bit more sound to em.

The only reason why I have an aftermarket intake is for maintenance, I can take off a Bomz SRI in under 2 minutes.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
The cone is the only thing that really makes a difference with sound, try getting a pop charger, those have a bit more sound to em.

The only reason why I have an aftermarket intake is for maintenance, I can take off a Bomz SRI in under 2 minutes.
Isn't that what a pop charger is? Just the cone/filter itself attached to the MAF sensor tube? That's what I currently have with an apexi filter. Only other pop charger I know of, that's legitimate is the JWT.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mad-MAX_SE

how did you get the sensor in the hole? it looks like the connector is in it not the sensor. and my sensors wiring isnt long enough to reach the inlet...
Old 03-05-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ROrsich
for an additional 10 bucks, you could have just got the cold air intake & then went to auto zone & got a K&N cone filter like i did

the kit cost me 30 bux free shipping on ebay, WITH temp sensor input.. lol

all i had to do was drill a 3" hole into the wheel well, & run the intake down there & attach filter.. i love the suction sound i get when u give it some gas <3

heres a pic, not the best but w/e it works.

Nice setup....i wd have drilled the hole for mine but i was lazy so i went with the short ram

Quick Reply: Purchased a short Ram intake with no hole for the air temp sensor??